United States Goverment Warns Americans Not To Go to Mexico - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 02-26-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
Default United States Goverment Warns Americans Not To Go to Mexico

PHOENIX (AP) — The U.S. State Department and universities around the country are warning college students headed for Mexico for some spring-break partying of a surge in drug-related murder and mayhem south of the border.

"We're not necessarily telling students not to go, but we're going to certainly alert them," said Tom Dougan, vice president for student affairs at the University of Rhode Island. "There have been Americans kidnapped, and if you go you need to be very aware and very alert to this fact."

More than 100,000 high school- and college-age Americans travel to Mexican resort areas during spring break each year. Much of the drug violence is happening in border towns, and tourists have generally not been targeted, though there have been killings in the big spring-break resorts of Acapulco and Cancun, well away from the border.

The University of Arizona in Tucson is urging its approximately 37,000 students not to go to Mexico. Other universities — in the Southwest and far beyond, including Penn State, Notre Dame, the University of Colorado and the University at Buffalo — said they would call students' attention to the travel warning issued Feb. 20 by the State Department.

The State Department stopped short of warning spring breakers not to go to Mexico, but advised them to avoid areas of prostitution and drug-dealing and take other commonsense precautions.

"Sage advice," said Tom Mangan, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. "We have had documented violence, attacks, killings, shootouts with the drug cartels involving not only the military but law enforcement personnel. It is indiscriminate violence, and certainly innocent people have been caught up in that collateral damage."

Mexico's drug cartels are waging a bloody fight among themselves for smuggling routes and against government forces, carrying out massacres and dumping beheaded bodies in the streets. More than 6,000 people were killed in drug violence in Mexico last year.

But Mexican Attorney General Eduardo Medina Mora said in an interview with The Associated Press: "There is no major risk for students coming into Mexico in general terms. It is always important to advise the youngsters to behave."

Despite the bloodshed, the number of foreign tourists visiting Mexico surged to 23 million in 2008, up 5.9 percent from the year before, spurred in part by the tumbling value of the peso against the dollar, according to the country's Tourism Department. The department estimates 80 percent of tourists in Mexico come from the United States.

"Cancun has always been one of our most popular destinations and that hasn't changed this year," said Patrick Evans of STA Travel, one of the biggest spring-break travel agencies. "Many of the packages we offer include lodging on the beach and in very nice resorts that take the utmost pride in making sure customers are safe."

Before spring break in late March, University of Illinois students will see an advertisement in the Daily Illini about the State Department's warning.

"We're going to take all the fun out of spring break," said Tom Betz, director of Student Legal Services, which is placing the ad. Besides the government warning, the ad also says: "Remember what happened to Natalie Holloway on spring break in Aruba. If you're going to drink, be safe!"

Some students said the warnings are unlikely to deter them.

University of Arizona sophomore Daniel Wallace is going to Puerto Penasco, or Rocky Point, for spring break, saying he is not worried about violence there. Besides, the 19-year-old said: "It's relaxing, it's warm, I'm a big fan of the beach and the drinking age is lower. It's a fun place to go."

Amanda Corbett, a sophomore at North Carolina State, said she is going snowboarding in Virginia because she couldn't afford Cancun. But three of her roommates are going there.

"They really wanted to go," the 20-year-old said. "Honestly, they probably think nothing will happen to them. That's the way I would look at it."

"If anything is going to deter people," said Danielle Jones, a North Carolina State student who is staying close to home because of a family emergency, "it's the recession."

Link:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...gx0jgD96JL5K81
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-26-2009
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 1%
Longevity: 100%

My brother law in the military is prohibited from going to Mexico at the moment for exactly this reason... it's getting bad in Mexico..

He's stationed in El Paso, Tx..
Old 02-26-2009

Longevity: 94%

For once the Government is not lying. I went to Mexico a few months ago, and wow. I passed through at least a dozen SMALL towns that where crowded with Police that had body armor from head to toe. 1 town I passed through had police men literally in every corner. Not to mention I passed thought at least 10 military(men with machine guns behind sandbags)checkpoints, all meant to stop drug trafficking.
Old 03-01-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

This story reminds me of the Movie "TAKEN" and "HOSTEL".

BooMer
Old 03-02-2009
Banned

Longevity: 88%

Don't worry about Mexico. Worry about 2nd American revolution. My estimate, if I'm correct, end of this year, beginning of next year. If I'm wrong however, it will happen by end of Obama term, whenever they blow up a nuke on American soil or release a bug.

"Land of the Free" A Short Film by John Jensen

When it goes down, there'd be a lot of dudes on the street, armed to the teeth, and dressed in armor head to toe. They'll be targeting local police, unless local police is on their side. It be a mess, militias will be fighting for our constitution, but our Zionist controlled government and Zionist controlled media will claim they are terrorists. Federal Government will involve NATO forces to fight militias, not U.S., our troops will be over extended for a reason, ours won't fight its own people.

So, TV and radio is probably what they going to take out first, if they smart. When your TV is dead, watch out. It means our boys are out there fighting the good fight.

If you're not down with revolution, if you think 9/11 was not an inside job, if you think bailouts are good for us, if you think constitution needs to be changed, and if you don't value your freedom, then you will probably be with your government. Not really a safe side to be on, because you can be executed on spot for treason. But if you are on that side, do think about a few things:

1) How to avoid draft.
2) How to get out of this country.
3) How to pay for yourself and your family.

More on 3. Banks will be closed, and dollar will be worth less than firewood.

Watch out for war with Pakistan. They bombing it now here and there, escalating, they'll go to war with it soon. That's a marking point. It means soon they'll detonate a nuke on U.S. soil (or release a bug like avian flu), then blame it on Pakistan. 2nd 9/11 so to speak, to achieve greater goals.

It's all Israel, all of it. Who's behind Obama? Brzezinski. SOB first armed Osama then went against him, total political prostitute.

You own it to yourself to read this book.

http://www.biblestudysite.com/markis.htm

By the way, you ain't part of the 500,000 million they are talking about.

Georgia Guidestones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-02-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2009
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 91%

This forum always seems to attract weirdo activists.
Old 03-02-2009
Banned

Longevity: 88%

You have a weirdo picture as your avatar and you make weirdo comments. Nah it's ok, you can call me whatever you want to call me, words ain't sticks and stones. I rather have one or two nut jobs complain on me and then later have a few more members in my platoon, than just sit and be silent and let things happen.

It's just me, I'm all about action.

Have a good day buddy.

Old 03-02-2009
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 91%

Forum Members come to this thread to read about traveling to Mexico.

If you want to propagate your propaganda...

Start your own thread instead of hijacking others.
Old 03-03-2009

Longevity: 93%

WOW!!! And this is the our youth. "TheyGotMeToo," this nut is not an activist, but a domestic terrorist. White supremacists and militias go hand in hand and promote the "killing" of individuals through so-called "civil" armed intervention. I bet this guy thought McVeigh and Nichols were heroes.
Old 03-03-2009

Longevity: 90%

Hmm, if I ever try to get a crazy check, I'm going to use that post.
Old 03-03-2009

Longevity: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyGotMeToo View Post
This forum always seems to attract weirdo activists.
^^^
Yep. Unfortunately.
Old 03-06-2009

Longevity: 98%

In Mexico, their water filtration system doesn't filter out the bacteria. People poop and their gut bacteria goes back into the water. Everyone all has the same species of gut bacteria. Foreigners come with different gut bacteria and drink the water and get bloody diarrhea.

It can be fatal! (Seriously, people die from it.)

Why does the US government not warn about that?