Has Anybody Sold On Craigslist - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 05-11-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 92%
Send a message via Yahoo to thakid212
Default Has Anybody Sold On Craigslist

I have VERO items that I won't list on ebay for fear that I will be suspended so I was thinking about listing on Craigslist.

I wanna know has anybody made money on Craigslist?

Before spend my time creating Ad's there
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-11-2009

Longevity: 90%

I LOVE CRAIGSLIST!

I have sold collections / group lots, computers etc

it may take a few days to get the stuff sold and constant reposting as your post will get flagged / deleted however if you are smart on how you sell it can be safe.

Try and ship the items craigslist does not want this however Craigslist is dangerous for buyers to come to your home, if you need to meet do it in a large parking lot like Walmart in front of everyone, both you and the buyer are also more comfortable with this.

Be careful and watch for scams / people trying to take advantage of you, you will most likely get atleast 1 bad email / scammer

dont sell just because the offer is what you want or better, use your common sense.

More sites to list on..

Kijiji USA Free Classifieds - Post & Search Free Classified Ads
Free classifieds - backpage.com

local news and newspapers sites often have free classifieds,

because classifieds are not bought on the site but in person / email you can list on multiple websites for maximum views.

I actually use to advertise on craigslist for my websites
Old 05-11-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalex08 View Post
I LOVE CRAIGSLIST!

I have sold collections / group lots, computers etc

it may take a few days to get the stuff sold and constant reposting as your post will get flagged / deleted however if you are smart on how you sell it can be safe.

Try and ship the items craigslist does not want this however Craigslist is dangerous for buyers to come to your home, if you need to meet do it in a large parking lot like Walmart in front of everyone, both you and the buyer are also more comfortable with this.
How can I avoid being flagged and what is the best way to sell because I am new to Craigslist and never sold there before?

Yes your most certianly right I would not want no stranger in my home
Old 05-11-2009

Longevity: 98%

I have been buying and selling on there more often. It's a pain to have to drive somewhere for each transaction.

Plus, meeting in person and exchanging cash for a good after they demonstrate the good doesn't guaranteed buyer satisfaction. A lot of times you buy something used and it breaks down soon afterward.
Old 05-11-2009

thakid212, craiglist's flagging system is completely broken. It's just users voting on people's stuff like how youtube, digg, and slashdot use user-generated moderation where people vote on if they like each comment. Craiglist's flagging system has no relevance to if the stuff follows their rules. It's just competitors using bots to auto-flag everyone.

And of course there's been stuff in the news about how the cops in some US states are after craigslist claiming that craigslist isn't stopping prostitution ads. This is because craigslist relies on its flagging system and it appears the prostitution ads aren't getting flagged.

Last edited by Jonas; 05-11-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2009
Threadstarter  

Oh Ok Thanks Jonas...

I was thinking of only accepting Cash And Paypal (But The item must be shipped if they pay with paypal) because I read about scammer sending ⊗⊗⊗⊗ checks to sellers which later bounce
Old 05-11-2009

They'll send fa_ke money orders on craigslist, too. They're able to print them cheap and can do em for only $50 or so. You know it's scam when they said "my shipper is coming by, he'll give you a money order for some extra, and you give him some cash as change."
Old 05-12-2009

Send a message via AIM to SevnSins Send a message via MSN to SevnSins Send a message via Yahoo to SevnSins

Craigslist & Kijiji are partially owned by eBay. eBay is slowly integrating it's VERO system (at least on CL), so it's just a matter of time before the customer flagging system ends.

There are several ways around this, just as there are for eBay. Many of these methods are outline here in the forum.

I have personally made quite a bit of money on Craigslist, but it does take a lot of work. There are a TON of scammers, and you have to be VERY careful.

You can find more tricks for Craigslist at Black Hat SEO Forum
Old 05-12-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevnSins View Post
Craigslist & Kijiji are partially owned by eBay. eBay is slowly integrating it's VERO system (at least on CL), so it's just a matter of time before the customer flagging system ends.

There are several ways around this, just as there are for eBay. Many of these methods are outline here in the forum.

I have personally made quite a bit of money on Craigslist, but it does take a lot of work. There are a TON of scammers, and you have to be VERY careful.

You can find more tricks for Craigslist at Black Hat SEO Forum
Noooooooooooooo Damn it ebay

I hope they don't start taking people Ad's down on Craiglist cause of that VERO Bulls**t
Old 05-12-2009

Send a message via MSN to gurusgrafx Send a message via Yahoo to gurusgrafx

I set up a shopping cart a year or so ago and put a lot of stuff I was stuck with on for cheap prices. advertised it on a few major cities took a couple days but I did make a few hundred off of junk. I didn't list it locally so I wouldn't have to deal with pick ups and such.
Old 05-12-2009

Send a message via AIM to SevnSins Send a message via MSN to SevnSins Send a message via Yahoo to SevnSins

Don't get me wrong, there's money out there. Just be proactive in keeping yourself protected.

Here's what I've learned:
First; always use new email (per listing day)
This can be blah@mgmail.com (or whatever), just set it up to forward to your real email address. This way, you don't get your real email banned from the site.

Create listings as images, so you bypass listing/VERO bots. Craigslist also has an active forum, where they have several people actively looking for things. Imagine that, sounds just like eBay.

Post your ads to an image share several times to create the illusion of multiple "different" ads.

Post the images as HTML in the Body area of the listing. The HTML code for the image gives the illusion that you are posting different ads.

I usually create a really nice ad, featuring several of my items at great prices. I then post it to ~100 cities.

You will get MANY scammers, but most are obvious. If you sell VERO items, you will get a lot of emails from people in China trying to sell you products. Most are scammers from my point of view.

I have also used this technique to drive traffic to eBay listings, and my website that I'm building.

There are all kinds of tricks to Craigslist. Just do a little searching, and you'll find it.

Old 05-12-2009
Banned

Longevity: 89%

I list on craigslist gotta hate the flaggers though bro those guys just sit there all day flagging ads because of the competition so if you want to list your items my theory is to always post 4x more than what you would usually do meaning you post 20 ads only maybe 12 get flagged meaning that there is still 8 posts up. Good Luck

P.S. check out the black hat forums thats where I learned how to post over 50 ads a day you have to change your email, your ip address, and clear cookies and what not. Also what I have been doing over a year is to post only 9 ads per email. Meaning I post 3 items for sale on one email but I post 3 ads of the same item for a total of 9 posts.

Last edited by spookycloud; 05-12-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2009
Threadstarter  

alright.....

Can you be suspended/ banned from the website?
Old 05-12-2009
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

^^^^^^^

Your IP address can be banned. Its happened to me a few times because of multiple listings in the wanted section. (Looking for distressed Laptops)

But we all know how to get around an IP address issue. LOL
Old 05-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycloud View Post
I list on craigslist gotta hate the flaggers though bro those guys just sit there all day flagging ads because of the competition so if you want to list your items my theory is to always post 4x more than what you would usually do meaning you post 20 ads only maybe 12 get flagged meaning that there is still 8 posts up. Good Luck

P.S. check out the black hat forums thats where I learned how to post over 50 ads a day you have to change your email, your ip address, and clear cookies and what not. Also what I have been doing over a year is to post only 9 ads per email. Meaning I post 3 items for sale on one email but I post 3 ads of the same item for a total of 9 posts.
You are exactly right. Most of the bigger cities have many active "flaggers". Whether they are competition or moderators is unknown. I get less exposure in the smaller markets, but about 80% of my listings get pulled within a week in the larger markets.

Old 05-12-2009
Threadstarter  

So how many ads would I have to post if wanted to sell one pair of shoes?

BTW: I Live in NYC
Old 05-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevnSins View Post
VERO won't find prostitution ads, which the government is after craigslist about.
Old 05-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid212 View Post
So how many ads would I have to post if wanted to sell one pair of shoes?

BTW: I Live in NYC
If you are in NYC, you shouldn't have any problems selling them. Although; there are MILLIONS of replicas in NY, so you may have a hard time getting the price you want. I'd start with 10-15 ads within the area you're in. Make different listings for out-of-area ads, so you can add in the shipping.

If you are local, I'd say to expect 3 "legit" responses for every 10 ads. Also, try to post them when people are on there computers. Craigslist just posts your ad in a long list for other ads, so if they don't search for your specific item, people won't see the listing. If you post in the evening when people are just browsing around, they are more likely to see it at the top of the list.

If you are out-of-area, I'd expect 2 "legit" responses every 15 ads.

These numbers are based on what I typically get, but sometimes are much better. Different items of course bring in different results.

Good Luck
Old 05-13-2009
Threadstarter  

alright thanks

I just listed a 22" LCD HDTV

So whats the best time to list....like 7PM?
Old 05-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid212 View Post
alright thanks

I just listed a 22" LCD HDTV

So whats the best time to list....like 7PM?
Again, it really depends on what your selling.

For example; if I were selling kids clothes, I would list around 1PM. This covers mom's/dad's that stay at home with kids. I would also list around 7PM-8PM, so you can get them right after dinner or after kids bedtime.

With a TV, I would say the later would work best. I'm sure some people do, but most people looking for a TV, do it at night.

Don't get me wrong, I have received MANY responses from people's work email.

:D
Old 05-13-2009

Longevity: 86%

Craigslist is can be good to sell stuff you can't on Ebay. Here are some tips:

1. If you are selling an item, and you are expecting a specific amount for your item, listed it higher because if you list it at the price you want it, everyone will try to negotiate you down, even if the items is at a very good price.

2. Never meet at your house. Meet at a local, public place.

3. Try to go with someone in cause someone is looking for trouble and has brought back up.
Old 05-13-2009
Threadstarter  

Yeah I know but thanks