Business names and shopping carts - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 07-09-2007
Banned

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 97%
Default Business names and shopping carts

Few questions here.

If I have several ecommerce websites(that sells different products) and I do online auctions (ebay, iofffers) do I need a different business name for each website? I also am starting a computer repair business from my home. Should I get a main S_corp business name and get several DBA's for the online ecommerce websites? Or should I do a LLC? What is the best way to handle this?

Also want do you think about oscommerce shopping baskets? One good thing about it is that it is free. Has anyone had experience with it?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-09-2007
Banned
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
It depends on what you plan to do - if you are really going to take each company all the way, then incorporate or LLC each (in the long run there is little difference) BUT then you will be stuck with a minimum state tax on each (in CA this is $800./year) whether you profit or not.

In CA if you do not pay these fees, they will suspend corporations but not currently LLCs.

There are so many nuances to what you ask that I could create a whole forum on this subject.

I do not incorporate every business venture I create. But to explain why, or how exactly I get around this, would take pages of explanation.
Thanks Modee I was hoping to get a more clear answer but I thank you for the help
Old 07-10-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

I'm not to sure about LCCs, but as for the shopping cart. Oscommerce is a good shopping cart with a healthy following of free mods and add ons. There is alot you can do with an oscommerce shopping cart. It takes some time getting used to it, but you can't beat free. Here's a tip, if you start using oscommerce, be sure to mod rewrite your urls to have .html endings. It'll help with your SEO.
Old 07-11-2007

Longevity: 98%

If you are going to setup shop as a business you might as well set it up as an S Corp. This way you protect your personal assets from being touched. An LLC is exactly that Limited Liability, meaning your ass can be held accountable and your personal assets can be touched.

I have a S Corp and run 3 DBAs under it, this way it all rolls up into one nice package. Plus, this also allows you to offset expenses from one company to another. I hate the government and could go on and on about it and why but I won't. Use the benefit of an S Corp to your advantage it is worth it. If you do not have a finance or accounting background, I suggest you speak with a CPA about your plans.

Side Note: Only businesses are supposed to pay taxes not individuals. It is one of the biggest lies that the government has been telling people.
Old 07-11-2007
Banned
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
I'm not to sure about LCCs, but as for the shopping cart. Oscommerce is a good shopping cart with a healthy following of free mods and add ons. There is alot you can do with an oscommerce shopping cart. It takes some time getting used to it, but you can't beat free. Here's a tip, if you start using oscommerce, be sure to mod rewrite your urls to have .html endings. It'll help with your SEO.
Thank you Aspkin. I did a google search on it and that was very helpful. So the point is to change the picture urls to html right? What does the picture urls end with before the rewrite? Is it something like this?-->Oscommerce downloads - Magic SEO URL for osCommerce download - Magic SEO URL for osCommerce - Best Software Downloads

and do you have anymore tips? And do you know of any websites that have the mods?
Old 07-11-2007
Banned
Threadstarter  

FeeBay Balling;5368

"I have a S Corp and run 3 DBAs under it, this way it all rolls up into one nice package. Plus, this also allows you to offset expenses from one company to another. I hate the government and could go on and on about it and why but I won't. Use the benefit of an S Corp to your advantage it is worth it. If you do not have a finance or accounting background, I suggest you speak with a CPA about your plans."

Hey thanks. Thats what I was thinking about doing. So each of my websites should have a different DBA or should they have the same DBA?
Old 07-11-2007
Administrator

I'm talking page urls. Have you noticed the forum urls end in .html?

This helps the search engines to index pages and pass on rank better.

Search Oscommerce plugins for any mods you might need. There are tons out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
Thank you Aspkin. I did a google search on it and that was very helpful. So the point is to change the picture urls to html right? What does the picture urls end with before the rewrite? Is it something like this?-->Oscommerce downloads - Magic SEO URL for osCommerce download - Magic SEO URL for osCommerce - Best Software Downloads

and do you have anymore tips? And do you know of any websites that have the mods?
Old 07-11-2007

Longevity: 98%

AS far as the DBAs .. All your sites can have a different one or they all can be the same. The website name also does not need to be the DBAs name just make sure you are not using a registered or trademarked name.

For Example: I run a couple of websites under various names, those domains are owned by a DBA, that DBA is under the S Corp name that the merchant account is on. Payments are processed by the S Corp but the product or content is owned by the DBA. Seperate accountability for each.

Using DBAs for the most part you want them broken down by the categories or divisions of the S Corp.

My Structure---
S Corp - Holder of the wealth
DBA 1 - Clothing Division
DBA 2 - Electronics and Home Goods
DBA 3 - Adult Related Items

This also makes it easier to track things and when an item is mentioned you will know which it belongs to by what it is.
Old 07-12-2007
Banned
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
I'm talking page urls. Have you noticed the forum urls end in .html?
This helps the search engines to index pages and pass on rank better.
Search Oscommerce plugins for any mods you might need. There are tons out there.
What does the os shopping cart has to do with the page urls? I'm kind of confused ..
Old 07-12-2007
Banned
Threadstarter  

Feebay,

Do you know of a website that i can check for registered trademarked names..
Old 07-12-2007
Administrator

Nothing... I just added, "Here's a tip, if you start using oscommerce, be sure to mod rewrite your urls to have .html endings. It'll help with your SEO."
Old 07-12-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
What about if they end with
.htm
without the l?

That'll work just the same. The whole idea with mod rewrite is to make your urls more user and search engine friendly. Search engines have a hard time indexing dynamic urls with many $ and % in them. Also .asp, .php, .aspx will work.

Also it's said Google places more weight with static urls then dynamic.
Old 07-19-2007
Banned
Threadstarter  

Another question here..

Can some steal a business name I'm using?? How do I copyright/trademark my business name so none else will try to use..

Like I have all my pictures watermarked with my a business name(even though its not registered) and my website name is the same as my watermarked name. Can someone open another website and sell under my same name?
Old 08-15-2009

Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
Another question here..

Can some steal a business name I'm using?? How do I copyright/trademark my business name so none else will try to use..

Like I have all my pictures watermarked with my a business name(even though its not registered) and my website name is the same as my watermarked name. Can someone open another website and sell under my same name?
bump as I like to know also.
Old 08-15-2009
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

When you open a business and register the DBA or the Corporate Name, it is protected from being duplicated by anyone else in the same state. In order to protect yourself, you need to register your business name as a trademark, then copyright the name and the trademark.

It will still be your responsibility to enforce the copyright by legal means. You will have to detect any misusage and you will have to bring it to the attention of the courts. It would be a civil matter and costly.