HTML Questions - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 07-26-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%
Default HTML Questions

I'm in the process of reteaching myself how to do html. I have some of the basics already and have a couple good links to tutorials. But no good forum links, especially none that zero in on the problems I'm having with copying code. Hence, this thread. Hopefully, we can all learn from each other, this isn't just for my benefit.

Ok I'll start - If you take code, copy it and then paste it into an editor--if that code includes a template, I find that my editing options are very limited or else it will end up looking very choppy. I've been retesting Google Base--if nothing else, it's just good practice--but am having lots of trouble with the formatting, the arrows and X's aren't helping matters. If I were to say, place an extra space between the title and a picture, most of the time it will do something to the template. It usually results in a break in a line, the removal of a whole side of the template, or other weird stuff.

How do you prevent that?

Also, it's become obvious that in grabbing the code, or just in copying text from one listing to another, information there will be included that will mess with my new listing. This comes in the form of different colored text that I can't shake, different fonts, different size, etc. It's very difficult to remove this problem once it's on the page.

How do you prevent that?

That's all for now. If I can get past these hurdles, I'll be in much better shape. Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-26-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

You should get Dreamweiver or FrontPage and use it to test your code before you move it anywhere else. Just open a blank document in either program and paste your code in the code area and you're able to see the design before you upload it to the internet. Dreamweiver has this feature that will show you which code is wrong as well. But probably the best answer is to learn HTML. This way you know what you're looking at and you know how to fix it with no problems. I'm surprised you got this far without knowing HTML.

Pagetutor.com is the best place to learn HTML from nothing. It's very easy and you'll learn most basic HTML in a couple hours, serious!

I think your font problems are because a missing CSS files. Look for anything that looks like this:

<link href="http://www.example.com/example.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

If you have something like this in your code (usually at the very top), and you don't have the actually CSS file, you'll need to instead include the CSS code instead of call to it. If that's the case, show me the actually css code, and I'll give you the code to fix it.

Aspkin
Old 07-26-2007
Threadstarter  

Aspkin, the problems I'm talking about aren't really "basic" html. The templates I'm working with are quite graphic intensive. I wasn't aware of the extra feature to tell what's wrong. I'll have to check that out. But I'm not sure it would cover something like this. Will an older version of Frontpage be fine for this? I have the software but it's dated. Has it changed that much over time? Should I find the most recent?

The thing that is most frustrating is that the page looks fine in something like practiceboard or photobucket's html board, though it might be a touch too wide. It's only when I move the code to the editor in other services that it goes wacko with broken graphics, strange formatting, and code appearing in the listing. That suggests to me that it's a limitation of the listing service more than anything else. Or maybe it's a conflict?

Speaking of the href code, I'm encountering another issue with that code actually appearing in the listing. It's not visible, but if you highlight it you can see it. Of course this just fills up dead space and makes the listing overly long. It's quite strange really. And very frustrating.

I'll check about the css files and get back with you. Thanks
Old 07-26-2007
Threadstarter  

Ok I'm going to compare the code between what is show on practiceboard and what shows in the listing area of the actual listing and see what differs.
Old 07-26-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Hey Jack, PM me the code, or show me where it's messing up. There can't be anything done without that information.
Old 07-27-2007
Threadstarter  

PM sent