eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   IP Address (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ip-address/)
-   -   SoftEther VPN Client for Linux (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ip-address/109561-softether-vpn-client-linux.html)

nate 08-08-2017 03:49 PM

SoftEther VPN Client for Linux

If anyone has been able to get this thing to work I could use some help, or a link to a tutorial that actually works. I've tried a bunch...

I am able to install and set up vpnclient. I can even make connection to the server with ipv6 after initial setup. (ipv6 will not let me use the public ip of the server but it will allow me to connect to the server to send the DHCP request to get local ipv4 for the NIC (virtual network adapter). After running cmd: "sudo dhclient vpn_se" "se" is the name of my virtual adapter. I loose connection. I cant get past this part.

I've tried editing and inserting multiple SoftEther vpnclient init scripts I've found on github for ip routing but I can't get them to work for me after editing them with the info that applies to my set up.

I've enabled ip forwarding by uncommenting the line in /etc/sysctl.conf (that didn't work).

Thank god for VMware. I've had to clone countless machines so far working on this.

I almost wonder if its because I'm working on VM's that the tutorials don't work for me. I cant see people taking the time to write all that info if they didn't get it to work them selves.

When I run cmd: ip neigh
after cmd: sudo dhclient vpn_se
I get...
vpn_se ipv4 = Incomplete
vpn_se ipv6 = Failed

Although it obviously doesn't look quite like that. That's what its telling me.

empirestate 08-08-2017 04:33 PM

Re: SoftEther VPN Client for Linux

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 864067)
If anyone has been able to get this thing to work I could use some help, or a link to a tutorial that actually works. I've tried a bunch...

I am able to install and set up vpnclient. I can even make connection to the server with ipv6 after initial setup. (ipv6 will not let me use the public ip of the server but it will allow me to connect to the server to send the DHCP request to get local ipv4 for the NIC (virtual network adapter). After running cmd: "sudo dhclient vpn_se" "se" is the name of my virtual adapter. I loose connection. I cant get past this part.

I've tried editing and inserting multiple SoftEther vpnclient init scripts I've found on github for ip routing but I can't get them to work for me after editing them with the info that applies to my set up.

I've enabled ip forwarding by uncommenting the line in /etc/sysctl.conf (that didn't work).

Thank god for VMware. I've had to clone countless machines so far working on this.

I almost wonder if its because I'm working on VM's that the tutorials don't work for me. I cant see people taking the time to write all that info if they didn't get it to work them selves.

When I run cmd: ip neigh
after cmd: sudo dhclient vpn_se
I get...
vpn_se ipv4 = Incomplete
vpn_se ipv6 = Failed

Although it obviously doesn't look quite like that. That's what its telling me.

My advice is not you Softether. It is a weak system. There's better ways...
How to clean photos
Best image resizer

nate 08-08-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empirestate (Post 864072)

I cant speak on OpenVPN client because I haven't experimented with it yet.

I can tell you that using L2TP/ipsec shows unwanted results on whoer.net, SoftEther client does not.

SoftEther Client to server connection can cut straight through a router if the server is behind it. OpenVPN and L2TP/ipsec can not. Not without opening UDP ports 500 and 4500 on the router.

There are 2 good reasons to figure out how to get SoftEther Client working on Linux.

I can literally make it to the last fraction of a second before the client makes the connection if you were to compare it to connecting on a windows client. When connecting on Windows and the window pops up that says connected, then another window pops up that says getting ip from server and it will say something like 192.168.30.1. That's where I loose the connection on Linux.

empirestate 08-08-2017 05:15 PM

nate 08-15-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empirestate (Post 864072)

We have conducted the performance test at a laboratory at Graduated School of Computer Science at University of Tsukuba in the end of 2012.

We had 5 protocols to test: SoftEther VPN, L2TP/IPsec, SSTP, OpenVPN (Layer-3 mode) and OpenVPN (Layer-2 mode). We tested both our SoftEther VPN Server implementation and existing implementation by Microsoft Corporation or OpenVPN Technologies, Inc. to evaluate SoftEther VPN's performance. The testing environment was: Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 on Intel Xeon E3-1230 3.2GHz and Intel 10 Gigabit CX4 Dual Port Server Adapter.

SoftEther VPN Protocol achieved 980Mbps by using SoftEther VPN Server.

L2TP/IPsec Protocol resulted 614Mbps by SoftEther VPN Server, while resulted 593Mbps by Microsoft's Windows Server 2008 R2's Routing and Remote Access service (RRAS).

SSTP resulted 737Mbps by SoftEther VPN Server, while resulted 715Mbps by Microsoft' s Windows Server 2008 R2.

OpenVPN (L3) resulted 89Mbps by SoftEther VPN Server, while resulted 76Mbps by OpenVPN's original implementation.

OpenVPN (L2) resulted 90Mbps by SoftEther VPN Server, while resulted 83Mbps by OpenVPN's original implementation.

As the results, SoftEther VPN Server was faster 103.5% than Microsoft's Windows implementation in L2TP/IPsec, faster 103.0% than Microsoft's Windows implementation in SSTP, and faster 108-117% than OpenVPN's original implementation.

Moreover, our SoftEther VPN Protocol (Ethernet over HTTPS, described at the section 1.1) resulted 980Mbps, which is 159.6% faster than L2TP/IPsec Protocol, 175.2% faster than SSTP Protocol and x9.8 times faster than OpenVPN Protocol.