Changing IP Address Question - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > IP Address

IP Address Changing your IP address, multiple IPs, VPNs, hiding your IP, phone tethering, MiFi devices, hotspots and more.

Old 09-30-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 62%
Default Changing IP Address Question

I have a technical question concerning changing ip's

Does "ipconfig /release/ipconfig /renew" take the place of a complete reboot/restart while working in a user id?

I'm working with a DSL modem and sometimes I get a previously used ip and I have to change it out and I've been following the steps in Stealth but I still am confused if I need to reboot between logging in and logging out of different ip's and/or user id's or does the "ipconfig/release/renew" basically reboot my computer for me?

Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-30-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%
Default Re: Changing IP Address Question

Is that a command prompt you type in?

Good question, i am also interested. I usually turn my modem off for about 10-15 secs then back on to get a new IP address. But then I have to wait about 2-3 minutes for the modem to reconfigure and the internet to work again.

I'd like to find an easier method.
Old 09-30-2013
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 62%

Hi aking,

Yes I'm wondering if restarting my computer in between user ID's (or when getting a new ip address by unplugging/replugging the modem) is necessary if you use CMD - ipconfig /release after unplugging modem (wait 1-2 minutes) plug in modem (wait 1 -2 minutes) then type in ipconfig /renew.

Not being all that computer literate in DOS I'm just wondering what the function of this command really does for you, and if it is technically the same as restarting/rebooting my computer?

I would love to know
Old 09-30-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Who is your ISP provider?

What type of modem are you using?

Old 10-02-2013

Longevity: 65%

It really depends on the service and type of router.

DSL usually requires a restart, some routers have a telnet prompt you can restart the router from so you can make a simple batch script to restart it(and get a new IP).

Cable generally requires you to change your MAC address to get a new IP, some of the new cable modems have are alll in one, which means that the router and modem are in the same box, with these ones I havent found a way of getting a new IP (since you cant change the MAC address of the router)
The Following User Says Thank You to smokescreen For This Useful Post:
yellowpencil99 (10-05-2013)
Old 10-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

Quote:
Yes I'm wondering if restarting my computer in between user ID's (or when getting a new ip address by unplugging/replugging the modem) is necessary if you use CMD - ipconfig /release after unplugging modem (wait 1-2 minutes) plug in modem (wait 1 -2 minutes) then type in ipconfig /renew.
First things first...for each stealth account, you must have separate Windows accounts for each AND you must log into them with unique IP's (another words, do not co-mingle IP addresses with other accounts). Always keep a track of your IP's.

You may understand that part already, but it doesn't hurt to restate it (since it is very important).

Quote:
I'm just wondering what the function of this command really does for you, and if it is technically the same as restarting/rebooting my computer?
No. You should be aware you have 2 IP addresses. Your internal IP (192.168.1.xxx) and your external IP address (or WAN IP). The external, or WAN IP, is how the rest of the world sees you. When you go to IPBurger.com, this is the address that gets pulled back for you.

When you do an ipconfig renew/release, all it does is issue a command to your local DHCP server. In most home networks, this is your router.

If you have a WiFi router either separately or built-in to your cable modem (all in one unit), then you cannot change your external IP address using the IPCONFIG command.

This is why most people need to completely power off their modem/router and power back on to obtain a new IP address (this depends on the lease time from your ISP).

And some users need to alter their WiFi MAC address to obtain a new external IP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An0nym0u$ For This Useful Post:
rsot (10-02-2013), yellowpencil99 (10-05-2013)
Old 10-02-2013

Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0u$ View Post
This is why most people need to completely power off their modem/router and power back on to obtain a new IP address (this depends on the lease time from your ISP).
And a lot of the time this wont work (resetting the router) for the all in ones due to the lease time being very long. If you're with comcast, ask specifically for a modem you can use with your own router (last time I checked they would still give you either an all in one or a stand alone cable modem), if your company wont give you a plain cable modem, you can buy your own and get it registered with your cable provider (usually).
Old 10-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

Quote:
And a lot of the time this wont work (resetting the router) for the all in ones due to the lease time being very long.
It's not because of the lease time, but really because it is a combo device (modem + router) to begin with, which complicates the process.

Yes, if you leave the combo device unplugged for an extended time period beyond your ISP's lease time, you may obtain a new one eventually. But this can take 4+ hours...it really depends on what the ISP's DHCP lease time.

For those combo devices, you would need to force it into passthrough (aka bridge) mode. This can be done by disabling NAPT mode. I don't recommend this unless you know what you're doing.

Your suggestion to have a modem + standalone router is the suggested setup for most users. Less headaches and much easier to change the IP's.