eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   Can paypal trace your address through IP? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/10410-can-paypal-trace-your-address-through-ip.html)

backplaya33 04-13-2009 02:43 PM

Can paypal trace your address through IP?

IF you have a stealth account is paypal allowed to trace who you are through your IP address?

doughboykilla 04-14-2009 11:33 PM

No paypal can not get your address through a ip not even the Gov can get your address all they can get is a vicinity of where your at like city and state. The isp might have your excat location but i dout it and if they did it would be illegal to give that info to people lilke ebay and paypal.

fyoufragu 04-17-2009 02:37 AM

they could probably get it if they were investigating your account as a criminal matter because then I'm sure the ISP would turn your information over.

ovidiu 04-17-2009 02:41 AM

The ISP has your exact address, of course. You pay them with a CC or debit card and have your internet provided to a certain address. However, ISPs will require a court order to turn this over, hence, the whole criminal investigation thing. You would have had to be a pretty bad person for this to happen, and Paypal would be the least of your worries.

badebay 04-17-2009 03:02 AM

only the police and the home office can obtain addresses from ip , then they have to have good grounds. the isp do not give away that information without a strict verification process. take BT broadband.. the ip only goes back to the main server in basildon essex. all subscribers go to that server only. paypal can match up cookies and flash cookies though. they have sophiticated bot software that can detect unusual activity, it gets flagged for an agent to investigate

fyoufragu 04-19-2009 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badebay (Post 83449)
only the police and the home office can obtain addresses from ip , then they have to have good grounds. the isp do not give away that information without a strict verification process. take BT broadband.. the ip only goes back to the main server in basildon essex. all subscribers go to that server only. paypal can match up cookies and flash cookies though. they have sophiticated bot software that can detect unusual activity, it gets flagged for an agent to investigate

Yeah I guess the thing is what is considered good grounds? If someone has sold ⊗⊗⊗⊗ or not delivered items and paypal is out of a few hundred dollars I find it hard to believe they'd bother but I'm sure they would if it was a large amount.

badebay 04-19-2009 12:19 PM

they wont have grounds for such a small matter....be different if it was mega bucks and criminal intent. it took a court order here to get ip adresses due to the data protecton act.. its very strict in the u.k. i attended a college and the 1st thing we were taught was a lengthy data protection procedure module. its against the law to flout the data protection act and they can go to jail

EbayFreak 04-19-2009 12:22 PM

I agree,

I have a bit of history with Paypal in a other country and they can't do anything the talk a lot, but that is all. Don't worry just make sure you don't use accounts in you own name.

fyoufragu 04-20-2009 02:45 AM

yeah no worries. I wonder at what amount they would look into some kind of tracing through the bank you used or ISP.

egw106 03-16-2010 11:01 AM

court order? lol, they can request it and print that from the patrol car.

NZT 03-16-2010 02:09 PM

My Opinion is that paypal or ebay will not trace your address as this could be adverse publicity for them and therefore not good.

The only time you will hear from them (well not them but a collection agency of their behalf) is when you owe fees.

When I used to use my real details on accounts and I was suspended I received letters from collection agencies which I duly paid.

Now I only use stealth and never hear anything apart from the odd email in an old email account in box saying "please contact us regarding a personal business matter!"

The only time you will be busted in a big way is if an individual or a group of individuals take action against you.

If you search on google you will find many stories regarding this.

But Paypal or ebay will NEVER instigate this kind of action, they will only ever co-operate will goverment bodies (which will not be a whole lot either)

sdot10 03-20-2010 03:44 PM

I dont think they ever try to trace anyone

1) completely agree about the negative publicity
2) To get that info paypal has to have reason to get that info and we all know their reasonings are laughable at best. You cant base a case on "we noticed suspicious activity on the account" haha

oge 03-20-2010 09:10 PM

Yes the funny thing is that even tho PayPal thinks something is "fraudulent" doesn't mean that the police is coming.

Now this story is funny. I heard about this strory where this guy hacked into a database. It was a car lot that sales cars on monthly payments but has a gps tracking device that they use to disable your car if you do not make your monthly payments. Well the guy who hacked the database ending up disabling about 100 people cars who made thier monthly payments. How did they catch this hacker HIS IP. Brought the police right to his house and he is being charged with felonies.