is PayPal required to report gift transaction in and out of an account? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 05-26-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 50%
Default is PayPal required to report gift transaction in and out of an account?

If a PayPal account only receives large gift payments, does PayPal report this? I'm aware of the service payments, but what about gift payments?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-26-2020

Longevity: 43%
Default Re: is PayPal required to report gift transaction in and out of an account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithelps View Post
If a PayPal account only receives large gift payments, does PayPal report this? I'm aware of the service payments, but what about gift payments?
A couple of years ago I had an account that was receiving only gift payments, let's say 2,3 a day for 7-8 months.. I never had a problem.. But I think is risky
Old 05-26-2020
Threadstarter  

Default Re: is PayPal required to report gift transaction in and out of an account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evofox View Post
A couple of years ago I had an account that was receiving only gift payments, let's say 2,3 a day for 7-8 months.. I never had a problem.. But I think is risky
What made you stop accepting gift payments? Did you ever report your gift income to your government? Did that PayPal had your real info?
Old 05-26-2020

Longevity: 25%

Quote:
What made you stop accepting gift payments? Did you ever report your gift income to your government? Did that PayPal had your real info?
i'm curious as well...
Old 05-27-2020

Quote:
Real info, no report to government, I stopped only because I changed business type and I no longer have to do that
The Following User Says Thank You to Evofox For This Useful Post:
ithelps (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Here's the factual answer:

Only commercial transactions are required to be reported. Only commercial transactions are included if/when you have 1099K's made.

This is part of the reason Paypal is so strict about F&F payments. They aren't required to be reported so they are an easily detectable method of laundering money without being expected to pay taxes.

F&F/"gift" payments are not reportable but it's very very easy for Paypal to tell when you're using F&F payments for commercial transactions. Nobody sends their friend thousands of dollars regularly as a "gift". Paypal shuts down the account every time they catch on.

Using F&F payments for commercial transactions is also fee evasion from Paypal's POV since they aren't getting the fee they charge for commercial transactions. That's another reason they're so harsh with the consequences once they catch on.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
ithelps (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Here's the factual answer:

Only commercial transactions are required to be reported. Only commercial transactions are included if/when you have 1099K's made.

This is part of the reason Paypal is so strict about F&F payments. They aren't required to be reported so they are an easily detectable method of laundering money without being expected to pay taxes.

F&F/"gift" payments are not reportable but it's very very easy for Paypal to tell when you're using F&F payments for commercial transactions. Nobody sends their friend thousands of dollars regularly as a "gift". Paypal shuts down the account every time they catch on.

Using F&F payments for commercial transactions is also fee evasion from Paypal's POV since they aren't getting the fee they charge for commercial transactions. That's another reason they're so harsh with the consequences once they catch on.
This is what I thought, because there are a bunch of accounts that hasn't been verified so how would PayPal even report accounts with ⊗⊗⊗⊗ identity. But my next question is if an account is verified and received large gift payments, then would PayPal report gift transaction to the government versus an account that hasn't verified their identity?

I understand that they aren't required but would they make an exception for those who have their ssn to PayPal?
Old 05-27-2020

Quote:
This is what I thought, because there are a bunch of accounts that hasn't been verified so how would PayPal even report accounts with ⊗⊗⊗⊗ identity. But my next question is if an account is verified and received large gift payments, then would PayPal report gift transaction to the government versus an account that hasn't verified their identity?

I understand that they aren't required but would they make an exception for those who have their ssn to PayPal?
What do you mean by "large payments"? and How many payments are you talking about? i think in EU is very easy to do that but not in the US
Old 05-27-2020
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
But my next question is if an account is verified and received large gift payments, then would PayPal report gift transaction to the government versus an account that hasn't verified their identity?

No.

Reporting income is not something they do at their discretion. It's black and white.. either it was a commercial transaction or it was not. Paypal isn't allowed to assume certain F&F payments are commercial transactions.

Again, this is why they're so strict about not letting users use F&F payments for commercial transactions. They aren't reported so it's textbook tax evasion.
ithelps (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020
Executive [VIP]

What we are discussing is actually the loophole which allows Cash App to exist. Cash App will allow you to take in way over $20k/200 transaction per year, and they never generate 1099k's, because their service isn't meant to facilitate commercial transactions.
ithelps (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
What we are discussing is actually the loophole which allows Cash App to exist. Cash App will allow you to take in way over $20k/200 transaction per year, and they never generate 1099k's, because their service isn't meant to facilitate commercial transactions.
Interesting... Thanks for the answer, this helps clear things up a bit regarding how the law and these businesses work.
Old 05-27-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Actually isn't that how venmo also works? There actually isn't that much commerical transaction on Venmo and most of the funds are being transfered through friends and they don't require you to verify your ID so in a way it's similar to cash app. But actually, I remember they requiring you to ID after receiving more than $500 or $1000, so I think Venmo is even worse than Cashapp.