Chargebacks because of shipping. Ideas? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 05-07-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Chargebacks because of shipping. Ideas?

I sell coupons on ebay. Coupons are small, and cheap to ship. I usually just pay for the stamp myself and eat the cost, and give free shipping.

Well, some assholes out there figured out that they can report me to paypal for non-delivery, and in every single case, Paypal steals the money back from me, refunds it, and they got the coupons for free. I've lost over $100 to these scammer assholes. The last one, for $16.80, the buyer emailed me "haha" after paypal refunded him. WTF?

I've even forwarded emails from the buyers asking things like "Ok, I got them, but this one is torn" or "Wow, thanks, I saved a ton!" - but Paypal doesnt care. No tracking number means I never shipped it.

The cheapest I can find on paypal is $1.41 for first class mail + delivery confirmation. My sales have PLUMMETED since I started charging this shipping. Who wants to pay $1.50 shipping on a $1.00 coupon?

Is there a cheaper way to ship a 1oz envelope but track it? Is there a way I can prove to paypal I shipped the item without a tracking number?

Anyone have any experience with this?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-07-2010

Longevity: 88%
Send a message via AIM to lakeman Send a message via MSN to lakeman Send a message via Yahoo to lakeman

You said that the buyer paid $16.80, if it were me, I'd eat the $1.00 extra shipping cost, just to save myself..

Anything under $5, I don't think it's worth putting tracking on.
Old 05-07-2010
Threadstarter  

Yeah but I cant charge $1.50 shipping for orders over $10 or whatever, and free shipping for under. That'll just piss off customers.

I read the 'protect yourself on paypal' FAQ and it looks like I'm screwed. Just gotta charge it. I'm gonna come up with ways to refund it tho... repeat customers, etc.
Old 05-07-2010

Longevity: 88%
Send a message via AIM to lakeman Send a message via MSN to lakeman Send a message via Yahoo to lakeman

I did not say to charge the customers. If you don't want to make them mad then you pay for the shipping, not them..
Old 05-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddamax View Post
I sell coupons on ebay. Coupons are small, and cheap to ship. I usually just pay for the stamp myself and eat the cost, and give free shipping.

Well, some assholes out there figured out that they can report me to paypal for non-delivery, and in every single case, Paypal steals the money back from me, refunds it, and they got the coupons for free. I've lost over $100 to these scammer assholes. The last one, for $16.80, the buyer emailed me "haha" after paypal refunded him. WTF?

I've even forwarded emails from the buyers asking things like "Ok, I got them, but this one is torn" or "Wow, thanks, I saved a ton!" - but Paypal doesnt care. No tracking number means I never shipped it.

The cheapest I can find on paypal is $1.41 for first class mail + delivery confirmation. My sales have PLUMMETED since I started charging this shipping. Who wants to pay $1.50 shipping on a $1.00 coupon?

Is there a cheaper way to ship a 1oz envelope but track it? Is there a way I can prove to paypal I shipped the item without a tracking number?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I use to sell coupons Physical and Digital. Just put in Big Text "FREE SHIPPING WITH THE PURCHASE OF 2 OR MORE COUPONS" or whatever quantity you want to offer before giving free shipping. This will give them the incentive to buy more from you and extra sales for you.
You can still charge the $1.41 for shipping for the purchase of 1 coupon but also make sure you put in the details in Big Text "PLEASE DO NOT BID IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THE SHIPPING COSTS"

If it's 1 coupon that you have a open dispute for then just refund them. Don't waist your time with the buyers over small chump change and put them on your Block bidder List.

Depending on the quantity, value, and popularity of your coupons is when you add the tracking with paypal.
I don't know how much you make or how much time you spend on selling coupons. But it might be time to look for other things to sells as I have.

Hope this helps.

BooMer

Last edited by BooMer; 05-07-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2010

Longevity: 80%

I would be willing to bet it is another coupon seller doing that to you. Who would try to steal coupons?
Old 05-07-2010
Threadstarter  

Awesome idea. I'll update my listings later - I dont mind paying the $1.41 if they are spending $10 or so.
Old 05-07-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I would be willing to bet it is another coupon seller doing that to you. Who would try to steal coupons?
I've been reported by other sellers I know that much. Mighta been another seller, tho, if thats the case he'd have bought more coupons I'd imagine.

I just think it's someone who knows how to work the system. Knowing how Paypal operates gives you a big edge as a buyer... you can scam a lot and really screw the daylights out of the seller.
Old 05-09-2010

Longevity: 86%

If they are high value coupons (over $5 as these are coupons and that would be considered high value for coupon clippers) the definetly put tracking on it. Yes it may cost $1.20 or whatever, but it will give you piece of mind that it wont happen to you again. Especially since you lost $100 already! Paying for tracking could have saved you tons in this case. Think about it...you sell a coupon for $16, then you are paying $1.20 to ensure you keep your $16 which is now almost $15.....makes tracking worth it. ALSO PLACE IN YOUR LISINGS THAT YOU MAIL COUPONS WITH TRACKING. You should put that in your listing weather you decide to charge them for shipping or not. Would help deter scammers from ever bidding on your listing to begin with! Good Luck! We live and learn, you will find what works best for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to needhelpplease For This Useful Post:
lakeman (05-13-2010)