Paypal buyer calls my local police FBI involved - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2008
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 92%

I strongly believe it is a bullying tactic as well but I faxed a copy of the money order to the detective and tried to reach him again this morning but he is out of the office right now. So I will be calling him before I leave work this evening to make sure there is nothing else he needs from me. Also, I will remember to ask him for an FBI case #.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-07-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

The FBI does not get involved for $165. In fact, they will hang up the phone or not even answer your emails if you email them about something like that.

What I would recommend doing is contact your local police department and ask them if there was anything filed against you. Either way you'll know for sure by then.

If your local police didn't call you about it, tell them that you got a call from someone impersonating a police officer and threatening you with the FBI and that you suspect the buyer. That'll give him a nice holiday in US-controlled Cuba.

The police doesn't even get involved in internet fraud for amounts below $1,000 or even $5,000....I can't remember the exact amount, but it surely is over $1,000.
Old 08-07-2008
Threadstarter  

It has been established that this really is my local police department. However, the only thing I am not sure of is the FBI's involvement. The detective told me that the Illinois Internet Crimes Division and The FBI passed the case on to him locally. He says the case is on file with all 3 places. The next time I talk with him I will be requesting an FBI case #. I think he was just telling me this to get me to pay and if that is the truth I will find out soon enough.

Last edited by Modee; 08-07-2008 at 06:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raul4510 For This Useful Post:
Dona (07-23-2014)
Old 08-07-2008

Longevity: 95%

Call "INternal Affairs"..
Old 08-07-2008

Longevity: 91%

yeah it sounds to me like this is similar to what happened to me. only instead of an email you got a phone call. theres a website that people can file

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | File a Complaint

this one i think. the "fbi" then forwards the complaint to the local police to investigate. what you probably should have done is told him that you did deliver the item and dont owe the buyer anything. i dont think theres really anything they can do. nonetheless for peace of mind maybe $165 payment is worth it.
Old 08-07-2008

Longevity: 98%

Do not pay the person. Paying is an admission of guilt and if you do, it can be used against you in a court of law. Police are known to lie to get convicts and the detective already lied about the FBI so if you pay $165 then you might be in more trouble by doing so. The detective called you instead of going to your home and bringing you to the police office for questioning so that could mean he doubts you are guilty.

Also PayPal always claims to offer buyers complete protection so it's possible the buyer got the money from paypal and if not then that's PayPal frauding the buyer through false advertising -- make sure the detective knows both of these things.

Call the police department, not the detective if it's some private detective or ⊗⊗⊗⊗, and try to contact the department or detective through it. If the detective does not exist, then inform them of the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ detective as it could even be some debt collector posing as a detective. Else contact the detective. Either way, explain your story and how the buyer scammed you, even if no proof, give your story and try to get the detective to investigate the buyer. It's possible the buyer scammed others and try to persuade the detective to investigate the buyer.

Buyer paid paypal, then said don't ship to my confirmed address but elsewhere.
You did so and have tracking.
Buyer filed fraudulent paypal dispute.
Buyer filed fraudulent police report, which is probably a felony or some such.

At the very least the buyer can go to jail for the fraudulent police report or get probation at the very least. Also, the police can get the details of who owns the address you shipped to even if it's a PO Box as long as it is in the USA and see if it does in fact belong to the buyer as if so that is evidence.

Last edited by Jonas; 08-07-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2008
Threadstarter  

The detective claims Paypal will not give the buyer back his money because my Paypal account is closed.

Last edited by Raul4510; 08-07-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2008

Longevity: 93%

paypal's buyer protection has nothing to do with whether or not the account is open or closed. the fact is that at the time of the transaction your account was open, therefore the buyer was eligible for paypal buyer protection, and that doesn't just go away if you closed your account.

Something's fishy here..
Old 08-09-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

How do you know the buyer didn't already get back his money through PayPal, then wants his money back through you ...AND got the items free of charge on top?
Old 08-10-2008
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallion View Post
Something's fishy here..
Very fishy none of it makes any sense to me. I mailed the money order and I guess the buyer wasn't around to sign for it because here is usps.com tracking info: Label/Receipt Number: 7006 2150 0001 5502 0879

We attempted to deliver your item at 9:08 AM on August 9, 2008 in SCHOFIELD, WI 54476 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. If the item is unclaimed, it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later

I have been trying to get a hold of the police detective since I mailed the money order on 8/7/2008 and he is NEVER in. I left three voice mails for him to get back to me. I am really getting angry about this because I faxed him a copy of the money order and the post office receipts. Plus the tracking information. So I do not know why he hasn't called me back to confirm anything or let me know that this is all taken care of? It's as if he didn't expect me to follow through when I told him I would send the buyer his money back. He goes through all the trouble of talking tough and mentioning Internet Crimes Division and mail fraud, and the FBI and then when I do what he and the buyer wanted, the detective just disappears.

The other thing I was thinking is what if Paypal did eventually refund the buyer and the detective just got around to calling me on 8/6 making the entire thing pointless? If Paypal refunded him he had no reason to file a police report/internet fraud report anyway. All of these things have me convinced 100% that the buyer is a complete scam artist. There really is no way for me to know! So I paid and now I am being ignored. Not sure if that is good or bad? When I called the police department they told me the only person I can speak to about this is the detective handling the case. So if he is never in or he is just ignoring me I will not find out anything. Does anybody know what else I can do to get some answers?

Last edited by Raul4510; 08-10-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

I know a good bit about how the bureau operates and in no way would they be involved other than to pass the info off to a local police department. They have monetary loss levels that must be reached in order for them to bother with it any further than taking the report and passing it on. They will, however, take a report on anything that might even remotely falls under federal jurisdiction but that in no way means they will be involved in the investigations or prosecution of whatever someone was complaining about.
This detective, or whoever he is, just implied the bureau's involvement, which I suppose if the initial report was filed with them or the original complaint made through their system is actually accurate, to a very limited point.
This is $165 bucks people. Come on. I, personally, would never have sent the money order. Last time I checked, one is still innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. ..
Old 08-11-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Also, if this detective is not returning your calls you need to make a concerted effort to speak to his supervisor. Something just isn't right about this whole thing...
Old 08-11-2008
Threadstarter  

The tracking info still says that the money order was not claimed and that bothers me! The buyer went far enough to file a police report so now he needs to do me the courtesy of signing for has money back. Also still no luck in reaching the detective. I called the police department directly to express my displeasure with him not returning my calls and two different operators told me: "I don't know his schedule." So I'm not sure who to contact next. I'm really thinking about calling the FBI to see if there really is a file over this measly $165.00 or if the detective lied. I just want the detective to return my calls!
Old 08-11-2008

Just go down to the police station and stop messing around and see this jackA** in person.
Old 08-11-2008
Executive [VIP]

They are yanking your chain man!
Old 08-11-2008
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via Yahoo to philly387

Yeah you can just go down to the police office and talk to him instead of trying to call. I had to do that for a "fix it ticket" and they were very nice! Not a big deal to go there...
Old 08-12-2008
Threadstarter  

Thats what I finally did yesterday evening and he was there and told me everything is fine now that I paid. Weird.
Old 08-12-2008
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
imthatguy you are both naive and too skeptical.
I see you learned 2 new words today. Is that the reason you gave me 2 infractions. For 1. me being "naive". and 2. for me being "skeptical"?? Discuss
Old 08-12-2008
Threadstarter  

This whole thing is pretty much the end of my selling anything online. Paypal is this unstoppable giant that is getting bigger and becoming more powerful because of eBay. All the "workarounds" and extra things you have to do just to stay ahead are bull****. It has become more of a hassle than a help to me. I am better off selling at local city flea markets and conventions than putting my whole life at risk to sell on eBay and be forced to use Paypal. We live in a time where a seller has little or no recourse and a buyer has a license to steal and scam. Until Paypal is toppled eBay will never be a safe online selling zone. I have decided that if I need to sell anything on eBay for whatever reason I will go to an eBay store and let somebody else go through all the headaches and pitfalls that go with risking sales through that venue. I mean this whole site is a testament to the amount of time and trouble that a seller has to endure just to make a profit online. On top of everything it's to the point where you have to watch your IP address and clean cookies pretty much become a computer tech wizard etc etc etc. Is it really worth it? For some that are able to beat the system and earn thousands of of dollars a month it might be. However, I consider myself to be pretty small time and the risks CLEARLY outweigh the rewards here! Paypal can take my social security number and go straight to hell as far as I am concerned! They can keep whatever little money I was dumb enough to leave in my accounts before I canceled the good ones and or abandoned the limited ones. Hopefully by removing all of my bank account information from said accounts I have cleansed myself of this awful beast once and for all. I'm going to go shower now so I can wash the stench of being raped by Paypal off my body!

Last edited by Raul4510; 08-12-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2008

lol nice choice of words. I heard its real tough getting that paypal bu** raped smell off but hopefully your done with them and don't go back. Eventually you probably will but if you don't then your a person of your word.
Old 09-01-2008

Longevity: 94%

wish i had seen this earlier. you shouldnt have paid. I had a cop call me over $1000 worth of ipod stuff that a guy bought from me and said "he didnt receive". I went in and he says this guy opened a dispute you need to pay him or ill be charging you with fraud and theft I told him I didnt remember the person because i sell a great deal of stuff but why was this being dropped on me 3 months later. He said he is busy but that I needed to pay this or id be arrested I had no proof as i threw away the tracking number. I went home pondered it and called ups. I found out they only keep tracking numbers in their system for around 3 months because they reuse them. I went back to the cop and said look I dont have a tracking number but even if i did theres a huge chance that it wont be valid at all anymore. I said if you want to charge me thats fine but what proof does this guy have that he didnt receive the items. Never heard from the cop again.

What you gotta understand is cops cant just arrest you based on someone said you did something. There has to be an investigation and such. All that wouldve happened if you didnt pay is the guy wouldve had to sue you for the $165. No way you get arrested based on "he said i didnt send it"
The Following User Says Thank You to sdot10 For This Useful Post:
moneyhustler88 (04-06-2013)
Old 09-01-2008

Longevity: 95%

lol FBI over $165 im sure the agents make that much by a hourly wage.
Closed Thread