eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   PayPal Talk (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/)
-   -   USA stealth accts - IP geographic locale vs PP acct address (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-talk/84089-usa-stealth-accts-ip-geographic-locale-vs-pp-acct-address.html)

blockhead 03-21-2015 06:31 PM

USA stealth accts - IP geographic locale vs PP acct address

I haven't tried making stealths from one IP area (say Los Angeles) but having a paypal account with an address in a different state, or maybe in the same state, but just far from the city where the IP address originates

Is this problematic? I'm sure many have tried this sort of this.

Seems I have read on here you shouldn't go further than "X number of miles from the city where the IP resolves to"

Thoughts? Thanks

GreenBean 03-21-2015 07:11 PM

Re: USA stealth accts - IP geographic locale vs PP acct address

Quote:

Originally Posted by blockhead (Post 652663)
Seems I have read on here you shouldn't go further than "X number of miles from the city where the IP resolves to"

Thoughts? Thanks

That got well and truly dispelled ages ago, blockhead.

So long as your IP is within the USA, there should be little problems.

To set your mind at ease, I have WA State accounts that often show the IP geo-location to be in the Mid-West.

Since the accounts have user accounts, cookies etc, I have no problems.

I have Eastern seaboard accounts that have shown the location to be in New Mexico. Again, no problems.

Hope this helps you.

:typing:

GreenBean 03-21-2015 07:16 PM

ooooppps... re-read your thread title.

Expand on that paypal? Is it an older account and has it been near ebay before?

:spy:

blockhead 03-21-2015 07:42 PM

i dont mess with ebay....the thread itself is more of a general question for future stealths...

my follow up question...

"To set your mind at ease, I have WA State accounts that often show the IP geo-location to be in the Mid-West."

So this goes for logging into accounts, what about at the point of creating an account? IP locale matter? (as long as we are talking within the USA)

Breakthecycle2 03-21-2015 08:15 PM

Don't be so sure. For about three months (until the last few weeks), all new accounts must have matching IP's and address's. They might have been testing something or it must a 12 week glitch, but if it didn't match, accounts went down or you had to call.

123 03-21-2015 09:32 PM

I've never had a problem with ip location not matching account location, as long as same country you should be fine

geo-location tracking in general is not always super accurate ebay knows this so they cant really be so picky on making sure it matches

bjammin 03-22-2015 12:04 AM

I also have never had an issue due to my IP not matching the state it was created in.

GreenBean 03-22-2015 12:19 AM

Wait a moment here, seasoned account sellers make the same statements. They match my experiences.

rsot 03-22-2015 11:53 AM

I have accounts set up in TX (for example) and I use MA IP all the time for them - no issues

slokor 03-22-2015 02:50 PM

I agree with the above statements - generally speaking.
That being said I prefer to be very conservative myself by matching the state in which the account was created. A simple enough thing to do when using dial up as I do.

jeffweico 03-22-2015 03:22 PM

Greenbean IS correct. However, I always try to match my IP locations to where my accounts are. I'm too paranoid not to.

But the geographical accuracy of these IP addresses has been terrible, at best, for years now. In the beginning, when companies got blocks of IP's, they would show up in the city and state of where the companies were registered. But as IP addresses started changing hands, they are updated less and less frequently. There is nothing about an IP address in and of itself that transmits location information, it all depends on its listing in the IP database.

SilentHill 03-22-2015 03:26 PM

as long as your IP is in the USA I agree aswell.

Breakthecycle2 03-22-2015 03:38 PM

And I'm giving people my experience. Numerous accounts have gotten suspended the last few months or I needed to call in. Everytime they told me it was because my IP address didn't match my address. Everytime.

dealagreeproceed 03-23-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 (Post 652860)
And I'm giving people my experience. Numerous accounts have gotten suspended the last few months or I needed to call in. Everytime they told me it was because my IP address didn't match my address. Everytime.

IF SO, Im surprised they would even tell you...:noidea:

Breakthecycle2 03-23-2015 04:42 PM

Why? If you're account is limited or you can't pay an invoice, they tell you what reason is.

GreenBean 03-23-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

If the majority of your sales are off ebay, then you may have a point.

I am referring to ebay AND paypal accounts that are used together.

What is the case with you?

Seriously if your sales are not on ebay then the issue differs.

Breakthecycle2 03-23-2015 07:06 PM

They are not Ebay. I run my business and use paypal as my processor.

rsot 03-23-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentHill (Post 652855)
as long as your IP is in the USA I agree aswell.

Been working few California accounts with NY IP as well

GreenBean 03-24-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakthecycle2 (Post 653198)
They are not Ebay. I run my business and use paypal as my processor.

Then like I said, issues may differ.

I repeat all of the posts relate to paypal and ebay joint usuage. paypal has some layer of protection there.

Sorry but there is every chance your own methods are causing the issues.

That's for another thread though.

:peace:

plumsake2 03-24-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

I heard that excuse from a rep (though this was on eBay) for the first time recently. I was able to successfully talk my way out of it because, well, at the end of the day, the IP location not matching is one of the weakest pieces of evidence that they can use against you. For example, I just checked the IP location from one of my hotspots and it says California. I'm on the east coast.

It may be a reason for them to look deeper into your account(s) but they shouldn't base their final decision off of it (key word being "shouldn't" -- this is eBay/Paypal after all). If that really is a major cause of concern for them, they may think someone else other than the original account owner is using the account - that's my best guess.

jeffweico 03-24-2015 07:44 PM

This is a perfect example of why I believe in following the old methods with NO shortcuts. I make sure everything matches and all my ducks are in a row. That avoids the whole issue to begin with. And I rarely lose accounts.