Shipping from China - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers > Shipping Talk

Shipping Talk General discussions on shipping, customs, tracking, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, EMS, etc.

Old 01-06-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
Default Shipping from China

Hello friends

Now I am a new member here, but by far a new member on ebay, for I have been selling via ebay since 2001. Now in this time period I have literally been through dozens of accounts, but it has been good to me nonetheless. About two years ago, I figured I will take a break and come to where I was previously buying computer parts from to do business. Back in America I would buy lots of computers from the states, fix them and repair them. And buy the accessories (bags, usb wifis, mp3 players, etc.) to increase the price of my auctions. While in college I managed to average 4-6k per month and on premium months (Novemember-January, December being the highest) I would get up to 17k in sales, meaning only about 9k profits. Then I had this grand idea, lets increase my market and move to China. So 2 years here in China and my business, yea it pretty much failed. For Chinese do not like used product and they only want expensive product that would be taxed almost 300% if i attempted to import it here. So I pretty much did nothing for the last year and a half. Now hang on Im getting to the good stuff. I thought I was reinventing the wheel by buying lots of branded things here and sending it back to America..and this is what I learned, which most of you are interested in:

1. many times the Chinese seller would give you a tracking number that does not work. This is because the first tracking number they give you is from China to Hong Kong. Most items do not ship directly from China to America. So once it hits Hong Kong there is a new tracking number. So if the supplier says it will take 3-4 days to get a tracking number, this is why.

2. If you are buying anything weighing over 25 kg, expect your package to be lost, seized or taxed to the point where you lost a great deal of profit. (This is based on my personal experience).

3. If you are sending branded things, which I do not really recommend, do not say the box is full of usbs, when really its a lot of Dr. Dre beat earphones. A simple check in the X-ray machine and, Bam its all gone. Just say they are ear phones, don't have to mention they are beats for you have more then a 70% chance making it through customs (again based off of my past experience.)

These are the top three things you should keep in mind when shipping products from China. There is a large source of things over here, I would just recommend doing what I am doing and try to find things thats not branded. Buy things that look like the beats but take off the logo. And be careful how much you can send at one time, for shipping can be costly at times. And finally, if you have a friend who can speak Chinese, I promise you will cut down your cost a third of the price. For have your Chinese friend tell them you demand that they cover your product, for if it does not make it to them, you get an return of all of your money (Less shipping). It took me a while, but after a few packages (that I think were never sent) disappeared, I began arguing with the seller. I will tell them Im in China (Even though I am, if I weren't they couldn't prove it) and tell them I will come to the factory with the local government, and ever since I have not lost a package, or if I did (2 times) I would get all of my money back. I hope I did not talk too much and I hope this did help you out! From your American friend here in China
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markevis For This Useful Post:
bigbill (01-06-2013), TheRevolver (01-06-2013)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-06-2013

upto now it has took more than a month to recieve a bouncy case from china. well about a month and a half! seller keeps saying please wait for item. it said on 7th dec that it left outward exchange and had no updates since. what you think bud?
Old 01-06-2013

Longevity: 80%

Useful post!

From experience shipping to UK, try not to use EMS anymore as delays are rediculous!
Old 01-06-2013

Longevity: 77%

EMS - not just delays but seizures.

DHL - as long as you make sure all the paperwork is correct before the goods are sent you are OK. My supplier will send me the invoice for me to edit and check before its added to the box.

I will put the info. I want on there, they will print and add to customs info. Best way
Old 01-07-2013
Threadstarter  

Honestly when it comes to ems, I try to avoid at all costs. For whatever reason, when the letters E M S come together, it seems to be just all bad news. Here in China, even when shipping from lets say Shanghai to Chongqing, EMS just know how to screw things up. When shipping to America, I tend to use DHL. And recently I was very surprised when using FED EX, for rather then bringing the goods in through LA, or NY to reach Philaldelphia, the items came in through Alaska, and it was out within a hour of its getting there. If you live on the east coast, try it out, maybe you will have the same luck!
Old 01-07-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_rider_123 View Post
upto now it has took more than a month to recieve a bouncy case from china. well about a month and a half! seller keeps saying please wait for item. it said on 7th dec that it left outward exchange and had no updates since. what you think bud?
Well I would say if it says it has been inbounds into customs, yes its probably gone, for once it enters there for more then a week, it tend to not get to me. When suppliers are telling you guys it takes more then a week to get to you..guess what.."IT IS A LIE" I have never made a purchase that took more then 5 days to get from the factory to either LA or Philadelphia! Now maybe because I am paying a little more in shipping but I let you judge..

I bought 20 laptop keyboards and it got to me in 4 days..shipping cost: $30 or 200 rmb.

I bought 500 cell phone cases and it got to me in about a week..shipping cost: $150 or 1000 rmb

I bought a 2 door bar refrigerator to hold beers for a bar/restaurant it got to me in also about a week..shipping cost $230 or 1700 rmb..

You should all check your suppliers and if you pay a little more they will get it to you within a timely manner
Old 01-07-2013

my tracking number says "departure from outward office of exchange" on the 7th of december and not updated since. you seem to get stuff very fast.
Old 01-07-2013

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_rider_123 View Post
my tracking number says "departure from outward office of exchange" on the 7th of december and not updated since. you seem to get stuff very fast.
**** happens...
Old 01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
**** happens...
it does that. hence why i'm claiming back my money via paypal. if it turns up i will send the money straight back or close the claim.
Old 01-08-2013
Banned

I was planning on going to China or Hong Kong myself in a year or 2. Are products easy to find out there? Will they charge you more if you are WHITE? And speak with an American Accent by any chances? It's why you said to get a Chinese friend to do it for you? So they don't rip him off as you said get stuff 3 times cheaper!

What's the cost of living there? And do these companies have a lot of competition between each other?

Thanks in advance.

And may I send you a private message?
Old 01-09-2013

send who a pm ghost?
Old 01-09-2013
Banned

The guy who started this thread.
Old 01-11-2013
Threadstarter  

Yep you are more then welcome to PM me..and being a white American can be a bit difficult when it coms to negotiating. Now I am an African American, and when I do negotiate myself I just drop the American part, for they believe that all Africans are poor! And many opportunities are there so they are willing to help haha..Some times playing the foreign role can help though, say your American and you love China, they may help you out..but it really helps if you can speak the language. And I have been renting my apartment for about 2 years..its a 4 bed room, 2 balcony, 2 bath room and large living room for less then $300 per month. There is a great deal of competition here so try to use it towards your benefit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWhoWalks View Post
I was planning on going to China or Hong Kong myself in a year or 2. Are products easy to find out there? Will they charge you more if you are WHITE? And speak with an American Accent by any chances? It's why you said to get a Chinese friend to do it for you? So they don't rip him off as you said get stuff 3 times cheaper!

What's the cost of living there? And do these companies have a lot of competition between each other?

Thanks in advance.

And may I send you a private message?
Old 01-12-2013
Banned

WOW Very nice!