EMS to UK pending customs inspection - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers > Shipping Talk

Shipping Talk General discussions on shipping, customs, tracking, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, EMS, etc.

Old 11-13-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 64%
Default EMS to UK pending customs inspection

OK so this has probably been asked a million times before but for my peace of mind...

First time with EMS. Tracking wasn't working, sent a message to buyer told me to use Hongkong Post ????.

Tracking says-

8-Nov-2013
Hong Kong
Item posted and is being processed.

8-Nov-2013
Hong Kong
The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 8-Nov-2013

10-Nov-2013
United Kingdom
Arrived and is being processed.

10-Nov-2013
United Kingdom
Pending customs inspection.

10-Nov-2013
United Kingdom

11-Nov-2013
United Kingdom

11-Nov-2013
United Kingdom

So what happens now? No update for 2 days, I'm sure it doesn't take that long to look in the box. FedEx usually sends me a bill for customs charges, but afaik nothing is ever inspected.

The items are toy accessories from Aliexpress, no retail packaging or anything. Sold as 'fully compatible with' so I guess they are on the same line as ⊗⊗⊗⊗ printer cartridges.

My big worry is that the supplier has down played the value, which I never ask for, but notice many of them do to keep us happy. I would rather be legit.

Will be annoyed if it doesn't come in time for xmas shopping, but not as annoyed as $400 down the drain! Still learning I guess...
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-13-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: EMS to UK pending customs inspection

Wait for 3-5 days for status update I would say - still pending customs inspection, only been 48 hours - I wouldnt worry yet
Old 11-13-2013
Threadstarter  

Ok thank you. Supplier has also got back to me and said be patient, UK customs takes a long time.

Just want some piece of mind I guess
Old 11-13-2013

Longevity: 80%

There is no benefit using EMS anymore - they didn't used to charge any duty/VAT really. Now you will just have endless waiting periods and poor tracking/customer service.

I would recommend you use DHL/Fedex - much fast and more reilable and not much more expensive
Old 11-13-2013
Threadstarter  

I've had loads of things with FedEx without an issue.

This is the very 1st time I've used EMS. Suppliers seem to push it and it seems alot cheaper. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 11-14-2013
Threadstarter  

Well you were all right

Status changed this morning to In Transit. Which I assume means is in transit to my local depot. So unless I get a nasty customs bill, all should be well
Old 11-14-2013
Executive [VIP]

There you go aniseed - patience paid off - hope no nasty customs bill
Old 11-14-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I'm glad all is well. You have to also remember the time of year - customs agencies in many countries may be backed up at the moment.
Old 11-14-2013
Executive [VIP]

EMS is ok but it is slower and had more issues with customs holding items from EMS than other couriers.

DHL is my preferred, They are quick professional, always traceable and never let me down as of yet. The cost difference between EMS and DHL isn't that much either so I'm quite happy to pay the minor difference for the extra benefits it brings
Old 11-15-2013
Threadstarter  

Well this just gets better and better

11-Nov-2013 United Kingdom Pending customs inspection.
14-Nov-2013 United Kingdom In transit.
14-Nov-2013 United Kingdom Arrived the delivery office and is being processed.
15-Nov-2013 United Kingdom Unsuccessful delivery because of incorrect address.

I've had previous deliveries from this supplier so I know they have my right address.
Can't get in touch with anybody, supplier offline and no one answering the phone at hongkongpost because its 11PM at night.

The supplier said he was using EMS. But tracking doesn't work on the EMS website. It works on Hongkong Post ????, so I'm thinking its a different company altogether.

Does anyone know any UK phone numbers, or who handles the UK side of things?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2013
Threadstarter  

Found out its Parcel Force!

Tracking works on their website - and they say it went to the wrong depot, and is now being forwarded to the correct depot!

Phoned them, that's sorted, paid my customs fee's over the phone as they forgot to send me an invoice with the faff, and it should be delivered Monday!

My revised customs charge was £25 on what I paid $400 for. Dunno what low amount my supplier put on the box.

Hopefully no more hickups. Does customs usually tell you off or fine you when they have to revise things?
Old 11-15-2013
Executive [VIP]

Yup its Parcel force, but you already beat me to it

They usually write for a customs fee but if you have the tracking number you can normally locate it and ring the depo to pay for them then and its quicker that way to get it dispatched out to you.

Normally the suppliers are quite reasonable and put a figure that will attract a customs fee but not a high one as they undervalue the goods they have sent you. Well, I say that but it was probably the value it cost them to make and ship it to you anyway

When you say revised do you mean that you paid one customs fee already but they charged more later on?
Old 11-16-2013
Threadstarter  

Letter came this morning. £10 odd was parcelforce's charges.

Letter doesn't say anything about a revision - but the parcelforce woman on the phone said it was a revised fee and implied that was the result of the customs investigation.

I'll see what paperwork comes with the parcel on Monday.
Old 11-29-2013

Longevity: 77%

is chinapost ok for customs? for vero small quantity. supplier pushing it.
EMS was issues. DHL good.
I really need real experience for Uk, not probablies answer.
Old 11-29-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%

If you import phake items it does not matter who you import them with, they are all subject to the same checks. This is imposed by HMRC, not the shipping company.
Old 11-29-2013

I said I want real experience not speculation.
I want to know if real people uk , got probs with it.
not true what you say @james. ems is much more likely bad than dhl for customs. there are differences.

I understand there is a chance for all method of shopping, but some are worse than others.
Old 01-09-2014

Longevity: 86%

I use Fedex and most of these packages are cleared while still in the air and they sail through customs in about 2 hours. Occasionally one takes a bit longer and misses the overnight wagon to the city I live in. Then Fedex are a day late delivering.

Folks who say packages can be opened by ANY carrier are correct. I am usually careful to make the declared value of my packages below the UK import duty limit of about 200 GBP but of course I still pay VAT.

The only time I was a bit careless and allowed the declaration to go much over 200 GBP customs opened it and it arrived with a suitably inscribed tape across it. However as the contents of the package and the apparent value agreed with the paperwork there were no repercussions and I just paid the Fedex bill when it arrived.

Ive had the odd package delayed about 24 hours but that was due to a back up at customs or a busy time, and not to anything suspect I was importing.

I use an USA shipper who provides me with a US street address so I have all my purchases sent there. They consolidate the lot into one big box (well not too big) and I have it Fedexed over avery 2/3 weeks. The shipper allows me to compile my own customs declaration and will even remove invoices from packages on my request.

The thing is to make the "declared value" appear sensible to the size of the box and its contents. Mine are all vintage so there is a lot of leeway here as to what I may "really" have paid.
The Following User Says Thank You to biglouis999 For This Useful Post:
aniseed (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014
Threadstarter  

Had loads more from ems aka parcel force since and they all stay in customs for about 3 days.

Once they've got to local distribution I can phone up to pay the customs charges, instead of waiting for the letter. This saves 1 or 2 days.

FedEx send me a bill a week after delivery

DHL text me all the way and as soon as I have charges to pay. If not paid I can pay cash or card to the delivery driver. They seem the best and quickest IMO.

Rpx phone me up and leave one voicemail. No letter or receipt which winds me up, twice they said they would email and they didn't.
Old 01-10-2014

I would be careful on the amount youre importing if it is phakes as they flag you and then start opening parcels to check that what you say you're importing is true. Problems if its found to be dodgy. Believe me, its true.
Old 01-11-2014

Longevity: 86%

I used DHL for many years then suddenly things went bad. They neglected to send me a couple of invoices then I got a nasty letter saying I owed them £40. I rang the number in the letter and paid them immediately by card. The agent assured me my account was clear. But somehow the payment (which came off my cc bill) was never credited to my account. Next thing I was getting letters from a debt collection agency.

It took about half a dozen phone calls and a lot of time and stress to sort it out. I never even got a formal apology let alone a copy of their complaints procedure which I repeatedly asked for. Eventually I took the case to the Financial Ombudsman and got a payout. I will not touch them now and have used Fedex ever since.

I am also very careful to make sure that I get (and pay) an invoice for each box and if they dont send one within 2 weeks I ring up and ask for it.

These companies are far too fond of blaming others for their mistakes.
Old 01-11-2014
Threadstarter  

I've never heard of a postal companies accepting responsibility for anything!

Would u recommend one large pallet every 2 or 3 months over a parcel every 2-3 weeks?
Old 01-11-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglouis999 View Post
I used DHL for many years then suddenly things went bad. They neglected to send me a couple of invoices then I got a nasty letter saying I owed them £40. I rang the number in the letter and paid them immediately by card. The agent assured me my account was clear. But somehow the payment (which came off my cc bill) was never credited to my account. Next thing I was getting letters from a debt collection agency.

It took about half a dozen phone calls and a lot of time and stress to sort it out. I never even got a formal apology let alone a copy of their complaints procedure which I repeatedly asked for. Eventually I took the case to the Financial Ombudsman and got a payout. I will not touch them now and have used Fedex ever since.

I am also very careful to make sure that I get (and pay) an invoice for each box and if they dont send one within 2 weeks I ring up and ask for it.

These companies are far too fond of blaming others for their mistakes.
Going to collections for 40 quids...wow that sucks to hear...who ever was in charge of this particular invoice/bill affair botched their role