Trading Standards Email? Or Just A ⊗⊗⊗⊗? HELP - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 08-02-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 80%
Default Trading Standards Email? Or Just A ⊗⊗⊗⊗? HELP

Hi,
I just recieved an email from legal@tradingstandard.co.uk which stated the following:

"Dear xxxxx,

It has been brought to our attention that you are selling counterfeit goods which infringe the copyright trademarks MONSTER® .

We are working with a number of companies to remove these listings from market and auction websites such as ebay and Play and it is understood that you are providing these items as counterfit merchandises and committing a criminal offence Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979,

It is illegal to:-
a) apply another person's registered trade mark or something likely to be mistaken for a trade mark to goods or packaging, or
b) infringe copyright by copying a copyright work without the authorisation or licence of the trade mark or copyright owner, or
c) apply any other indication to goods or packaging likely to mislead as to the identity of the manufacturer or producer

We are currently in the process of obtaining your details from Play and unless the listings are immidiately removed we will have no option but to take legal action!

For more information you may visit our website :
http://www.tradingstandard.co.uk/

Sincerely,
John McCrohan"

I always thought emails from trading standards would be from a .gov.uk email address rather than your run of the mill .co.uk. Also the person has made mistakes in the email notice how he has spelt "immidiately". Is this just another competitor trying to cut out competition?

Id appreciate any help anybody could give me. Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

HeeHee, McCrohan is a Team Leader for Trading Standards UK. (Thanks to google!!) Neither the email address nor the link are correct. 2nd case in the past days of phony notices. Sounds like an idiotic competitor

As a matter of interest, what email are you using? In Yahoo or gmail, you can go look at the full headers and trace info from that.
Old 08-02-2010
Threadstarter  

Hey thanks for the reply, i sort of worked out it was ⊗⊗⊗⊗ from the website, the website he has given is just linked to the real pages of Trading standards. And he emailed me to a gmail account, any possibility. What info can i get from the headers?
Old 08-02-2010
Threadstarter  

LOL check this email i got again...regarding the same item...forst i took it down...but i put it back up...its obviously the same person that send the email from "tradingstandard.co.uk"
He sounds like a twat lol :

"mate, your xxxxx is absolutely ⊗⊗⊗⊗ and chinese copy, I don't think there is serial number on the plug in. xxxx will contact you."

LOL how obvious is it that this guys a competitor? I dont even have pictures up of the plug in...and i only actually have just one of these to sell...i have not sold them before on this account, made me laugh though
Old 08-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

guy could still cause you problems, like reporting your listings etc or buying and not paying, hopefully he will give up, but I would not bank on it.........
shan7-8-6 (08-05-2010)
Old 08-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Best not to reply to these things at all. Even to tell them to piss off. A reply will get their attention is all.
The Following User Says Thank You to pod For This Useful Post:
shan7-8-6 (08-05-2010)
Old 08-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,938 Times in 8,229 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Agree - "file it under R for R-ivedcci"....seriously though, google search is your friend =)
Old 08-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

The email is obviously ⊗⊗⊗⊗, lots of spelling mistakes and Trading Standards isn't Trading Standard. Search to find any information you can on the person, email a few competitors then when they email you back view the headers and compare them with the original email that you received, you never know it may lead you to the person sending them.

I wouldn't completely erase this harassment from your mind, keep an eye out for any strange buyers (if you've got time search each name in Google, with the words 'Trading Standards' followed), just to be safe.

All in all, you will from time to time get emails like this. Don't ever reply and if you think it's getting on top then stop selling on that account for a while. Also Trading Standards very rarely act on one complaint.
The Following User Says Thank You to forummember For This Useful Post:
shan7-8-6 (08-05-2010)
Old 08-05-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
guy could still cause you problems, like reporting your listings etc or buying and not paying, hopefully he will give up, but I would not bank on it.........
Sigh....i think you were right....whoever did this is a C**T....i got an email from customer service asking for details of where i purchased the items from and supplier name and address...anybody help me out with this....pm me if you dont wana mention it in public.....but i could really do with some help on my situation.....retard competitors suck ass....