DHL - Cincinnati sting - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 09-30-2010
Banned

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 80%
Default DHL - Cincinnati sting

$21 Million Counterfeit Seized At Airport

Customs agents seize $21 million in counterfeit items at CVG Airport

By Dan Horn • dhorn@enquirer.com • September 28, 2010

Federal agents seized more than $21 million in counterfeit iPads, DVDs, medication and other products this month during a 10-day operation at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.

The seizures are part of a nationwide campaign by U.S. Customs and Border Protection to crack down on imports of knock-off products, which cost American companies and consumers hundreds of millions of dollars a year.
Most of the counterfeit items came from China and all were seized between Sept. 7 and Sept. 17 as they passed through DHL's hub at the airport.
"Pretty much anything that can be counterfeited, we came across," said Brian Bell, spokesman for Customs and Border Protection. "They were very good. The Chinese have perfected the art of duplicating our products."
U.S. officials have said for years that the theft of intellectual property through counterfeit goods poses a major threat to the U.S. economy and to consumers, who could spend thousands of dollars for lower quality products or suffer injury because of defective parts or dangerous medicine.

Federal agents seized almost 15,000 counterfeit shipments valued at more than $260 million nationwide last year, with China accounting for 79 percent of the illegal imports.

The value of seizures dropped for the first time in 2009 - down from $272 million in 2008 - but federal officials say that may be because the global economic downturn reduced all imports by 25 percent. Until last year, intellectual property seizures increased steadily from about $93 million in 2005.

Bell said most of the counterfeit goods end up in flea markets, corner stores or on eBay, where sellers either don't know or don't care if the products are not the real thing.

He said counterfeiters are savvy, fast and getting better at mastering the technology needed to produce believable ⊗⊗⊗⊗. When the iPad came out earlier this year, Bell said, border protection officers began seizing knock-off versions within weeks.

"The importation of counterfeit merchandise really damages the U.S. economy," he said.

He said the DHL hub at the airport was targeted because so many goods pass through each day, not because the problem is worse here. He said DHL cooperated with federal officials and, as the shipping company, was not responsible for verifying the authenticity of the products it was paid to fly overseas.

Criminal charges against the manufacturers of the counterfeit goods are unlikely because they are based overseas.

Bell said the seizures here, dubbed Operation Safe Summer, involved officers from Customs and Border Protection, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Homeland Security Investigations.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Cue a rash of newbies crying they did not know they were buying foo-foos™

Yes move house, move state. Big Brother knows you, muahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 09-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

Really.....
I would have never guessed this was going on.
Old 09-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

"Omg I registered the account under my real name and got the letter saying so and so...I am really scared" Enter XYZ text - PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 09-30-2010

Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
"Omg I registered the account under my real name and got the letter saying so and so...I am really scared" Enter XYZ text - PLEASE HELP!!!
I would say by 1pm EST
Old 09-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

Dhgate has stock in the US. Anyone ever purchased anything that was already in stock here in states?

PS - People really buy and sell ⊗⊗⊗⊗ iPads??!?! WOW

Last edited by aking; 09-30-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aking View Post
Dhgate has stock in the US. Anyone ever purchased anything that was already in stock here in states?

PS - People really buy and sell ⊗⊗⊗⊗ iPads??!?! WOW
It seems crazy to me, how can you get away with selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗ iPads?
Old 09-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%

Stock in the US? Meaning what - storefronts? Or...

Every hot electronic I can assume has its sh*t equivalent ha
Old 09-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

I guess they have a warehouse somewhere here and UK where they ship some items out of. Its on the website at the top of the page.

Yea, I've seen some ⊗⊗⊗⊗ iphones they look good on the outside but they look nothing like the real iphone once you turn it on. I think it may be the actual iphone shell but they totally reprogrammed it internally. Its horrible. I guy I know sold them on the street and he said people loved them, they even gave him their old phones after they bought it. LoL

Its weird, if you own a iphone you know as soon as it turns on that its ⊗⊗⊗⊗, but some just people swear up and down that its real.
Old 09-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksolid68 View Post
most of the counterfeit goods end up in flea markets, corner stores or on eBay
eBay loves press like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to pod For This Useful Post:
Markk (10-02-2010)
Old 09-30-2010

Mmm i bought a couple of those ⊗⊗⊗⊗ ipads to sell lol.... Correction they are called Apads and its nothing like a real ipad, the software is google based "android" i never thought those could be seized since they have a different name and different operating system. everything is different, ohh well i wont buy anymore of those now that i know they can be seized.
Old 09-30-2010

Longevity: 87%
Send a message via Yahoo to IDK

Interesting. This is going on all over the US. We as consumers are willing buy these ⊗⊗⊗⊗ that cost a fraction of what the real items cost, and most of the time we are satisfied with the purchase. If companies want to stop counterfeiters they should stop charging an economy that's in recession for a Louis Vuittion iPad cover that costs more than the iPad it self when one can get a knockoff that looks the same for 25 bucks!! You can't convince someone with intelligence that the price is justified because of the difference in quality. LV could charge hundreds less, but they wont because they are GREEDY! Well so is the consumer which is why we want to live like celebrities on minimum wage. There has to be a compromise, but it needs to start with these big companies first like Apple.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IDK For This Useful Post:
aking (10-01-2010), Markk (10-02-2010)
Old 09-30-2010

"They were very good. The Chinese have perfected the art of duplicating our products."

This statement had me laughing for a while. They "perfected the art" because they make most of "our" products to begin with.
Old 09-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post

Seppuku
Old 09-30-2010

Longevity: 82%

A 10-day operation? Imagine how many shipments are coming through without detection for the other 355 days in the year. $21 million worth of counterfeit merchandise in 10 days that, with rough math that equals to over $700 million a year in counterfeit merchandise being imported to that airport every year not including all the shipments that get through without detection. I bet that size is double when it comes to the holidays and that number isn't even for the whole of the US, that's only one airport.

And customs aren't seizing $21 million of shipments there every 10 days throughout the year consistently without all the man power that was provided for the 10-day operation. Meaning realistically they only seize what...half of that $21 million, maybe even less? The counterfeit business isn't going anywhere, this is a small glimpse of just how massive the business is.

-Albert Einstein

Last edited by jamblix; 09-30-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2010
Executive [VIP]

The counterfeit business isn't going anywhere as long as LV keeps charging $1000 for a bag in a recessed market.
The Following User Says Thank You to aking For This Useful Post:
Markk (10-02-2010)
Old 10-01-2010

Longevity: 79%

Found this in the news today.

600 arrested in South America during counterfeit raids

Wow...even ⊗⊗⊗⊗ alcohol...
Old 10-02-2010

the right supplier s go along way, they know how to break things down into smaller packages and ship them the right way depending on whats going on. how they pack it, what the description they put on it and which shipping lists they use means the difference.
Old 10-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

Nothing wrong with knock offs. At all. If they are pretty much advertised as such. I buy lots of knock off stuff. Its cheap. Hell, its super cheap. And in a lot of cases, will do the job just fine....

But selling a knockoff as the real deal is low budget. Some sellers do.

And ⊗⊗⊗⊗ medication??? Seriously? Wow, people will do anything for money. That can do some serious damage... Unless they just mean generic, thats fine. But all out ⊗⊗⊗⊗? - Someone sells anyone I know ⊗⊗⊗⊗ drugs and I'm on my way to see you...
Old 10-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksolid68 View Post
The seizures are part of a nationwide campaign by U.S. Customs and Border Protection to crack down on imports of knock-off products, which cost American companies and consumers hundreds of millions of dollars a year.
Most of the counterfeit items came from China and all were seized between Sept. 7 and Sept. 17 as they passed through DHL's hub at the airport.
"Pretty much anything that can be counterfeited, we came across," said Brian Bell, spokesman for Customs and Border Protection. "They were very good. The Chinese have perfected the art of duplicating our products."
U.S. officials have said for years that the theft of intellectual property through counterfeit goods poses a major threat to the U.S. economy and to consumers, who could spend thousands of dollars for lower quality products or suffer injury because of defective parts or dangerous medicine.
Wow, that must have been one smart Customs agent. I bet he isn't aware that "our products" are actually almost all produced in China. Most original iPad's and iPhone's are made in China anyways.

Most of the so-called "counterfeit" products come from the same factory as the originals.
Old 10-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

"The Chinese have perfected the art of duplicating our products"

Ya, I smiled when I seen that too. Not sure much of anything is made in North America anymore
Old 10-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 89%

Who knows if the seizure even happened. Do they have tapes of the receivers signing for there stuff and getting busted? Why stop it at the airport without arresting anyone?