Buyer Scam? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 10-07-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Question Buyer Scam?

This one is new to me.

Buyer 1 purchases a BIN item, a day or so later, buyer 2 purchases the same item. Both say they will pay with bank deposit. Now here's the trick.
The both use the item number as reference and use the same bank. I post the first one, then the second buyer asks why they haven't received their item as they paid, blah, blah same bank, item #......

How do I workout who has paid and who hasn't. I phoned my bank with another one that was almost identical as this, and they say they can't give me any more information than the bank and the reference.

Can someone please help me with this.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-07-2010
Threadstarter  

Does anyone know how to work out who's payment it is as I'm about to contact ebay live and ask what to do?
How can a buyer prove that they are the one that made payment?
Old 10-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Both said they paid, only one deposit? Sounds fishy
Not sure how safe it is giving out bank info. Scary. Have you done that before? I've read there is a way to clean you out with that info, but check with your bank on that...

But did sender not use his name when he sent funds?
Did you receive direct email from them? If so check IP address in headers. If its the same I would suspect a scam of some kind here. And I would go down and change your bank numbers. If you take payments like this all the time I guess i wouldnt worry. But I just dont think it was wise to give it out

Your bank must have SOME info on deposit
Old 10-07-2010
Threadstarter  

They both left the item # as reference, go figure....

Buyer 2 has escalated it to a dispute while I have been chatting to ebay live, nice.

The only information a bank will give is what I already have, the bank used to make payment and the reference they left as the description of payment. That's it. And both are the same. @#*&
Old 10-07-2010
Threadstarter  

Ebay was of no help what so ever, surprise, surprise.....so I opened a dispute with buyer 1.
And after catching buyer one in a lie, after numerous emails, messages and a phone call, she thought she'd gotten away with it, now admits the deception and will pay for it. Had the hide to ask for my bank details, I don't think so.
I feel really bad for buyer 2, it was to be a birthday gift.

So lesson learnt! (Spell check is wrong) No more bank deposit!!

I suck at this, I think I should spend more time here.

Lots to learn..
Old 10-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillconfused View Post
No more bank deposit!!
You should really talk to your bank about security and see what or if any damage can be done with the info you supplied the buyers

There used to be a member here that was firm that the info could be used to cause great damage. And I believe he knew what he was talking about

It may be wise to change your bank account number
Old 10-08-2010
Threadstarter  

That's a bit of a worry.

I opened a new account the other week, then I received a letter saying that there was an error and could I take my ID into the bank with more paper work. I already had 2 accounts with them, so I'm not sure what that's about, as the woman in the bank didn't know either.

Opening multiple accounts does draw attention, which I could do without living in a small community.
There has to be another way to access money in PP without all of these bank accounts.

What do you do when a buyer insists paying via bank deposit?