AOL help needed.. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 08-13-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 74%
Send a message via ICQ to xdirc Send a message via AIM to xdirc Send a message via MSN to xdirc Send a message via Yahoo to xdirc
Default AOL & VoIP help needed..

Okay. So i decided to get a phone line for my house. I mainly got it so i can use it for dialup connections.. Thing is.. I ordered it through my internet and tv provider. AT&T Uverse. So therefore it is a VoIP..

I purchased AOL dialup expecting to be able to connect to it and be good. Well it times out when trying to download the list of access numbers from aol. So i went online and got the access numbers and entered in the numbers manually. I have tried several numbers. It'll connect, but the connection is sllloooooowwww. Now yes, I know, its dialup. But I had AOL 2.0 when i was a kid, back when all they had were 28.8k modems. And the connection was faster then than what im getting now. Im sure this has alot to do with the VoIP being digital.

But if anyone has any suggestions on how to make this work, itd be great. Or is it possible to use my dsl connection, then connect to aol via the dsl connection, but get an AOL host/ip?

Last edited by xdirc; 08-13-2011 at 05:50 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-13-2011

Longevity: 95%

i heard VoIP and dial up dose not go hand to hand and its iffy getting it to work. u can google dial up on Voip and see what can be done or use a real land line number and not voip
Old 08-13-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

If you are aiming to use AOL for stealth, then it is too too risky. aspkin stopped recommending it years back.
Old 08-13-2011
Threadstarter  

Send a message via ICQ to xdirc Send a message via AIM to xdirc Send a message via MSN to xdirc Send a message via Yahoo to xdirc

Oh damn. Well.. Yeah. it would be used for stealth. But it seems at this point I aint gonna be able to do it. I need to find the recommended isps
Old 08-13-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Thought I'd give you a heads up on that. This VoIP & dial up combo is tricky at the best of times. Part of the problem as I understand is maintaining a high enough connection speed.
Old 08-13-2011
Red X

Longevity: 0%

Try MSN TV, you can purchase it cheap on Amazon, or ebay, and use it as a 2nd ISP in your household. You connect it to the modem you already have, now you have 2 internet providers, but you use msn tv on your TV, no computer, but it does give you dynamic ip's. It's up to you if you want to use it, just a suggestion. You can go to their website, and call them, they'll answer all of your questions.
Old 08-15-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 75%

Why would you use dial up when you can just get a broadband connection?
Old 08-15-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemorestealth View Post
Why would you use dial up when you can just get a broadband connection?
What you mean why? Broadband = 1 ip. I got AT&T U-Verse. Its strictly static, no changing. Using dialup i get alot of ips, alot of different locations. Plus different dialup isps. Im spending hundreds of dollars a month now on private Static IP vpns. I figure i can go cheaper and get more locations than what im getting now..
Old 08-15-2011
Red X

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdirc View Post
What you mean why? Broadband = 1 ip. I got AT&T U-Verse. Its strictly static, no changing. Using dialup i get alot of ips, alot of different locations. Plus different dialup isps. Im spending hundreds of dollars a month now on private Static IP vpns. I figure i can go cheaper and get more locations than what im getting now..
Like I said MSN TV connects to your AT&T modem, and gives you dynamic ip at faster speeds than dial up. : D
Old 08-15-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red X View Post
Like I said MSN TV connects to your AT&T modem, and gives you dynamic ip at faster speeds than dial up. : D
In order to get faster speeds than dialup, wouldnt service need to be broadband? Cause Im seeing this:

Broadband Service with your ISP* $9.95/month
ISP fees not included

Use your existing broadband connection at home. You can connect to the MSN TV service via high-speed cable or DSL service by setting up a home network to share your broadband connection between a PC and MSN TV 2 Internet & Media Player. You'll enjoy fast access to Windows Media-compatible digital media, the Web, your e-mail, and much more right on your TV.

Wouldnt that be using my same connection? Therefore giving me my same ip address?

And then theres the dialup plans at: MSN TV: Dial-up Service Plans
Old 08-16-2011

Longevity: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
If you are aiming to use AOL for stealth, then it is too too risky. aspkin stopped recommending it years back.
Can I ask why? I have two Broadband feeds, one of which is AOL and the IP is Dynamic.
Old 08-16-2011

Longevity: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Can I ask why? I have two Broadband feeds, one of which is AOL and the IP is Dynamic.
because ebay/paypal/amazon can see right through the aol ip address.
if you don't believe me, use aol and then go to your ebay account without logging in. click "forgot password" and ebay will send you the reset password link and in that email they will say what your ip address is...and that ip address will not be aol ip address, it will be your main broadband ip address.
Old 08-16-2011

Longevity: 73%

Interesting - so if I view my IP address on IPBurger using the AOL BB feed - this is not a true representation?

I should add that I am actually running two separate phone lines and thus two BB Feeds. The other is BT.
Old 08-20-2011

Longevity: 95%

But couldnt u use any dial up service to have mulitple ip's like earthlink or juno or netzero. or are these co.s even around any more
Old 08-20-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboykilla View Post
But couldnt u use any dial up service to have mulitple ip's like earthlink or juno or netzero. or are these co.s even around any more
They are all around. Ive also been using Juno & Netzero in the past couple days cause its free for 10 hours per month. Juno and Netzero work awesome on my VoIP phone line. Unlike AOL where its unreliable and ****ty.