Which do you prefer, EMS or DHL? - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 10-18-2011
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 72%

if you do a search, there's a thread about Cinncinnati's hub doing some sort of special check where lots of people had their goods seized. I'm sure every hub does that sort of random search though at some point.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-18-2011

Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscutter View Post
Good suppliers can manipulate Which ems customs their package will pass through, Dhl they cannot.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Yes. It all depends on the zip code used. I lived in west coast but received all EMS shipments through NY Customs. There is a way to changing zip code, that is only adding #'s to it.

For me personally, I have only used EMS the past year and a half after some bad experiences with DHL. Now, I learn more towards DHL as I have been getting packages in with no problems. I chalk some up to luck but it is your supplier who can really make a difference in lessening seizures.

Last edited by Recherché; 10-18-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 2%
Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotano211 View Post
you want to beat this is a lie. I just got a package from India valued at 2k and I had to pay a 2.3% customs duty. Yes the package was sent by DHL and not EMS. I told the shipper only EMS not DHL. I once worked for DHL when they operated in the US, they like to hire thieves and ex cons. EMS packages are handled by USPS employees. I can wait a few more days to get my packages. EMS all the way.
I am going to have to agree with yotano on this subject as well, at least to some degree.

I know both postman that deliver the HK Post/HKEMS packages. With DHL, it is usually very sketchy looking people and always new/random drivers I have never seen. It doesn't help that they are usually some greasy looking trash and some do look like ex-cons. As I have stated before, these drivers are contracted and not like USPS employees. So, you have no clue who delivers to you.

I've also had them ask about my business because I consistently am receiving packages and that just adds to how sketchy their drivers can be.
Old 10-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfelon View Post
You have no clue what you are talking about. There is no way possible DHL could hire a ex-con. Since 9/11 with all of the terrorism laws that went into effect and business that operates on airport land or handles mail/parcels every single employee has to pass a TSA background check. This could be the janitor who scrubs the toilets. That is the law.

As for you paying customs duties that is bad luck. I get 6-8 large packages a week from HK via DHL and in over 3 years now never once had to pay any sort of custom duties. And yes I have had them opened for inspection and resealed with the green "US CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION" tape all over them.
DHL used to operate freely in the US before 9/11 but they got out of the US entirely, they still operate internationally but just not in the US anymore. Now their packages are handled by third parties or sub companies that have contracts with DHL. I worked with them when I was 18-21 and saw my fair share of bad things, but that was more then 10 years ago. And plus their contract DHL employees always leave my packages with the neighbor when I am not there. I don't live in a safe neighborhood. I rather drive to my local USPS post office and pick it up myself or pay extra to have UPS ship it.

As for the customs duty thing, I tell my Indian supplier to not to mark every package "gift". Its against the law to mark "gift" on a package that is valued at $2k or even less then that. I guess some people go awhile without paying customs duty or never, it depends on the situation. I can provide a picture for proof if anyone want it. I just got a waybill from DHL a few days ago, I just need to find it and pay it. I wonder what would happen if I don't pay it?
Old 10-20-2011
Threadstarter  

and what do you know, customs has just seized my package that my supplier sent via DHL in order so he could save a few $$$.

It's a combination of some VeRo stuff and some non-vero stuff, so who knows if I will see any of it. I'd guess not.

I don't mind the seize (I expected it sooner or later) as much as I do my supplier using DHL without telling me.

Edit: I have two packages in route from China via EMS that I couldn't stop. I suppose those are toast as well?

Also, DHL gave me the number to call Customs and inquire about the seizure. Should I even bother?

Last edited by slappzilla; 10-20-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2011
Threadstarter  

sorry to double post, not letting me edit the above post again for whatever reason...

I did get my other package that came in via EMS, so that's good.

New address from here on out. Had a good run with the old one, but was overdue for a seizure. Still blame my supplier for shipping DHL (two packages at once making one big package) without asking me as he knew I requested EMS only. My supplier did give me half my money back though, which is nice. I could have disputed and won but did not want to ruin the relationship I have with my supplier.
Old 10-22-2011
MU

Longevity: 81%
Thumbs down

Quote:
You have no clue what you are talking about. There is no way possible DHL could hire a ex-con. Since 9/11 with all of the terrorism laws that went into effect and business that operates on airport land or handles mail/parcels every single employee has to pass a TSA background check. This could be the janitor who scrubs the toilets. That is the law.

As for you paying customs duties that is bad luck. I get 6-8 large packages a week from HK via DHL and in over 3 years now never once had to pay any sort of custom duties. And yes I have had them opened for inspection and resealed with the green "US CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION" tape all over them.
Lol, your probabably in the lookout!
Old 10-22-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 82%
Send a message via MSN to teedon Send a message via Skype™ to teedon

To be honest,DHL is cheaper a lot than EMS . but EMS is safer than a lot if pass through west of usa ,but ciciniti is ok for DHL.
Old 10-23-2011

Longevity: 85%

For smaller items to the UK EMS is the best method . Packages dont get checked as much , and recently EMS deliveries arrive in 7-9 days from date of order
Old 10-23-2011
Threadstarter  

so, my supplier sent my stuff to the new address I asked for...

but put my name on it again, not the name I told him too.

I suppose that's getting seized....
Old 10-23-2011
Executive [VIP]

Just because you have gotten a package seized does not mean that any package that has your name on it will be seized. Some people like to believe that there is a blacklist but I've never had that happen before. And yes I have had several things seized by DHL and I just keep having them shipped with no problems
Old 10-23-2011
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via MSN to teedon Send a message via Skype™ to teedon

According to our experience,do not use the same name on a new address if your packages have been seized before.This may increase the possiblity to be seized again,just in case
Old 10-24-2011
Threadstarter  

Yes, Teedon, I actually tried to do that, but my supplier somehow misread my email apparently. Thanks for the advice though!

Quote:
Just because you have gotten a package seized does not mean that any package that has your name on it will be seized. Some people like to believe that there is a blacklist but I've never had that happen before. And yes I have had several things seized by DHL and I just keep having them shipped with no problems
Do you even bother switching addresses?
Old 10-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

No I've been using the same address now for over 2 years.

The biggest problem that leads to seizures it that suppliers from China will put down "gift" or "samples". If they open they box and it's full of dvds or hair straighteners then yeah it's gonna get seized!
Old 10-24-2011
Threadstarter  

I am going to open a PO BOX tonight after work at the USPS office, just to be safe.
Old 10-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

Agreed cardfelon however it is smart to change it up sometimes. Even changing Post offices. I just changed with no seizures. Stay low.. returns to PO box. And don't fight people who complain unless its past 60 days or 45 days and they already left feedback lol.. Then they gotta work on your terms. 50% refund works too..believe it or not. 75% for closing case and revising feedback. I just did a complete refund of 100$ for a feedback revision... lol

Old 10-28-2011
Threadstarter  

suppose I will provide a follow up

Got the letter from customs regarding my seized packages. Letter pretty much said to call them and "try" and claim my stuff, otherwise they will just "dispose" of it. The letter came in the mail, not certified mail, and wasn't threatening at all actually. To be honest, one of the two packages wasn't even VeRo stuff, and the package that did have some Vero stuff in it, there was little of it (I could even argue whether or not it was really Vero but that's another thread).

Needless to say, I threw the letter away, and went on with life.

Luckily for me, my supplier reshipped the seized packages at no charge, and I have received them.

Didn't lose a dime, but did learn to never use DHL again. Your package can still be seized even if it's non-vero, fyi.
Old 10-29-2011

Longevity: 80%

DHL only for me, ive shipped with EMS 3 times and 2 times ive had issues. DHL been using for years never had issues. All my major branded items pass through without any issues. The non branded stuff is the stuff they usually check which of course will pass.
Old 10-30-2011

Longevity: 76%

Ems works best for me they go through customs but never seized however also used dhl in the pass without probs
Old 10-30-2011
Executive [VIP]

Just had 2 out of the last 2 packages hit inbound....Still waiting. First is at 4th day in customs... Hoping it clears soon, it's been a good 7-8 months since i had a package even go into customs.So something tells me they are on a crackdown of some sort on packages coming in... Doesn't mean anything, other than they go through a scan and either they pass or they don't.
Old 10-31-2011
Executive [VIP]

october 26th parcel cleared... 4.5 days later
Old 10-31-2011
Executive [VIP]

Other out for delivery skipped starifht from inbound to out for delivery..lol