How does HMRC address you? Registered name or company name? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 11-15-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 70%
Default How does HMRC address you? Registered name or company name?

So my plan is to make 3 Stealth ebay & paypal account get Company names matching these account details & Register with HMRC as sole trader and pay my taxes.

Just wondering, How will HMRC address me sending me letters etc. Will it be like . "Dear Company or Dear Mr. Chuck norris"?

Thats because I will be giving my real name to HMRC, however I dont want the letter to show my real name obviously because it wont match up with my stealth details. If ever I am asked to provide docs.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-15-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 71%

Generally if you are a sole trader then they will refer to you by name first and then t/a (trading as) your business name.

As a sole trader you can call your business anything you like, there is no need to get a Company name. I assume you are referring to a registered company here which would not usually be suitable as a sole trader.

I would suggest you take professional advice i.e. an accountant/tax advisor before proceeding, it could save you a lot of heartache in the future.

All correspondence from HMRC will have your real name on it even if you use a trading as name for your business

Last edited by NoneOther; 11-15-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOther View Post
All correspondence from HMRC will have your real name on it even if you use a trading as name for your business
So I guess if ebay/paypal every asks you to provide HMRC proof of letter, for the stealth account, you need to be 'Creative' with the name?
Old 11-16-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenupy2j View Post
So I guess if ebay/paypal every asks you to provide HMRC proof of letter, for the stealth account, you need to be 'Creative' with the name?
There are many docs that p/p will accept as proof of ID and address, I would avoid sending them anything from HMRC in any format.
Old 11-16-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
There are many docs that p/p will accept as proof of ID and address, I would avoid sending them anything from HMRC in any format.
So what is the point of Registering for taxes, if it is not to proove to Ebay/Paypal?
Old 11-16-2012

Longevity: 66%
Default So what is the point of Registering for taxes, if it is not to proove to Ebay/Paypal?

hmrc don't send the letter on your name but they send it on your comany name, also the company has Unique tax refernce number on it ,
the letter will be like this "company house has told us about the formation of your company"
UTR which you can give paypal , they ask it if you are doing lot's of transaction.
I am also planning to open a buiness account done everything , will open paypal account soon.let's see what they ask for.
Old 11-16-2012

Longevity: 84%

Quote:
So what is the point of Registering for taxes, if it is not to proove to Ebay/Paypal?
youve not thought this through have you ?

have a coke and a smile and think about it
Old 11-16-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelord View Post
hmrc don't send the letter on your name but they send it on your comany name, also the company has Unique tax refernce number on it ,
the letter will be like this "company house has told us about the formation of your company"
UTR which you can give paypal , they ask it if you are doing lot's of transaction.
I am also planning to open a buiness account done everything , will open paypal account soon.let's see what they ask for.

Correct when applied to Ltd Companies but the OP wants to act as a sole trader so any correspondence will be in their name and trading as.
Old 11-16-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Errmmm........because you are legally obligated to declare your income and pay tax due. Nothing what so ever to do with e/b or p/p.

HMRC get very upset when you don't and will send 'bad' men to get your money
Old 11-16-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Errmmm........because you are legally obligated to declare your income and pay tax due. Nothing what so ever to do with e/b or p/p.

I wanted to register as a Limited company & want to pay taxes. If I just a company online through company formation website, will they forward my details to HMRC?
Old 11-16-2012
Executive [VIP]

I really suggest you take professional advice regarding your plans.

Either you are confused or I am because you stated at the outset that you wanted to register with HMRC as a sole trader. Sole traders do not have or run Ltd Companies.

Why do you think you need to be a Ltd Company?

Ltd Companies have very strict rules on how they operate, their financial statements and names and address of directors are a matter for public record. So there a great many things that you need to be aware of before going anywhere near e/b or p/p

Whether you are a sole trader or a ltd company you are still legally obligated to declare your income and pay any tax due. In most cases this is far more involved for a ltd company than it is for a sole trader.

No one on this site is qualified to advise you on what you should do or the best business set up for your circumstances, hence the reason that you need to seek proper professional advice before doing anything further. Get it wrong now and it could well cause you major problems in the future.

Last edited by NoneOther; 11-16-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2012

Longevity: 82%

Quote:

I am sorry to ask this novice question. I am new about this issue... But did you mean...Ebay will never ask for your HMRC tax document? but you need to show HMRC where you got money from.......am I right?
Old 11-16-2012
Executive [VIP]

e/b or p/p have absolutely no right to ask to see any of your tax related information.

Yes you must declare all income to HMRC.

Last edited by NoneOther; 11-16-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2012

Longevity: 82%

Thank you so much. I got it now. Then it will be very easy for me to sort this out with professional advisor.