eBay Money Back Guarantee = PayPal Buyer Protection? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 02-09-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default eBay Money Back Guarantee = PayPal Buyer Protection?

Hello. I have sold a digital item on UK eBay and sent it via e-mail. The buyer opened a case about it "item not received". He thought he is buying a physical item, despite the description, which said he will not receive anything physical.

I explained to him the nature of the item and answered his questions "please read this, did you read this?". He felt offended and left me a negative that "I was rude over his transaction".

I submitted a confirmation number from RPost Registered E-Mail Service as a tracking information and refused to send him a refund. Since then (10 days ago) buyer hasn't sent me any response.

My questions are:
  1. eBay Money Back Guarantee = PayPal Buyer Protection?

I think not, because I found different rules for them. The item is digital and PayPal doesn't cover intangible items with protection, but maybe eBay does on its own? If it doesn't, I can emphasize that and win the case, when it's escalated.

2. If we don't resolve the case within 30 days since it has been opened (my answer with the tracking info is the last one) and it will be closed, will it be closed in my (seller's) favour?

If yes, will the negative feedback be automatically removed?

Thanks in advance
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-09-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: eBay Money Back Guarantee = PayPal Buyer Protection?

1. Unlikely to win either with PP or with eB - need physical shipping with tracking

2. If you don't answer...likely to be ruled in buyer's favour.

3. No - rarely automatically removed...need to communicate with the buyer
Old 02-09-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
1. Unlikely to win either with PP or with eB - need physical shipping with tracking

2. If you don't answer...likely to be ruled in buyer's favour.

3. No - rarely automatically removed...need to communicate with the buyer
  1. Are you sure? Because I have already won a couple of cases "item does not match the description", when I told eB or PP the item is intangible and not covered with protection
  2. I did answer, I'm just asking is closing a case automatically after 30 days by eB the same as ruling it in my favour? A couple of cases ended this way, I got my money back in PP (the hold has been lifted) so it seems it has been ruled in my favour. I just want to confirm it.
  3. What about this: Feedback and detailed seller ratings are removed or adjusted through an automated system.
    Quote:
    Feedback from a buyer is removed or adjusted automatically in the following situations: (...) A case is decided in a seller's favour.
Old 02-09-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

I had this issue a few times on digital items, that buyers either did not understand or were scamming.....

it is tricky but I only post something if I get a query..If it was just a few days ago, you can send something via tracking eg. the order printout and win, or sometimes you can lose as it is digital regardless and they put a violation on your account too or you can lose the account. Even without doing this tracking you can win, as they see it is digital and therefore does not need posting

- really odd variable policy...this was in the last few years, not seen the outcome recently though...heard they tightened up and it must be posted, if it is under a certain amount you do not need tracking though, just say you posted it, keep some basic postage letter receipts to show, they may ask for them, so even if you lose a case, they can give you benefit of the doubt that stuff getting sent.......multiple cases are always an issue though...you need to handle them even with a refund before it gets to a case if poss..

you need to put that you are posting it on the listing, most customers understand this, the ones that do not, handle them with some tracking......

...they can always switch a case to SNAD though.....

Last edited by oompaloompa; 02-09-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2014
Threadstarter  

I thought about sending the item physically on a simple piece of paper and with tracking, but there is no need for that anymore. As for the description, I describe my item completely, hide nothing and note in bold that nothing physical will be sent, but some customers just don't read it at all. They just assume they buy what they think they buy and don't care about the rest. And later it's like this:
-> ->

Getting back to my problem, I found this in eBay Money Back Guarantee policy:

Quote:
What's covered

Most transactions on eBay.co.uk are covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.
(...)
Not covered
Vehicles, Real Estate, Business & Websites for Sale, Digital Content, Intangible Goods, Classified Ads, Services, and some Business Equipment categories.
I escalated my case to eBay and citied this excerpt. Result? Case closed in my favour, negative feedback removed automatically. Problem solved.

I don't know why I did not find this earlier. Maybe they updated their policy or I was on eBay US and not the UK.

Nevertheless, thanks guys for your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-10-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,933 Times in 8,224 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Nice research maels - glad it worked out
Old 02-11-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

putting it in everything else catagory helps....
rsot (02-11-2014)