Does the time of the day a eBay account is created, matter when concerned with limits - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 09-21-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 59%
Default Does the time of the day a eBay account is created, matter when concerned with limits

Just cutrious about this? I am leaning toward it maybe does, and the preferred time would be during the day morning/afternoon. it's kinda a weird question, but maybe someone has some insight. thanks in advance.!~
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%
Default Re: Does the time of the day a eBay account is created, matter when concerned with li

I create a lot of accounts. Some in the morning. Some in the evening. Some on weekends.

I have never found a CONSISTENT difference in the outcomes as far as limits are concerned. You can have a run of high limit accounts on a Tuesday morning and not very many on Thursday night. But that does not mean that Tuesday mornings are necessarily better than Thursday nights. Because that can quickly reverse itself.

Now, if EVERY Thursday evening was bad, then that might be a different situation. But I do not believe it matters. Thinking about it logically, what business rule could justify handling out selling limits based on time of day? I thought about this long ago, thinking that the best time was at night, because eBay might think you were unemployed if you were logging on during the day. But it never proved itself out - I get just as many high limit account during the day as I do at night.

If anyone else has a different experience, I would be interested to hear it. But too often, some of the people posting here have a situation that happened to them specifically and quickly jump to the conclusion that their theories are correct, with very little to support it.

Now, if someone posted that every Friday was wonderful, because all of their accounts turned out to be 1000/25000 and Mondays were terrible because all of them turned out to be 5/500 and this has been going on for TEN WEEKS.... Well, THEN they might be on to something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
access0ner (09-22-2015), NewYork (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 51%
Default Re: Does the time of the day a eBay account is created, matter when concerned with li

Makes sense. Years ago I noticed (after listing a lot of stuff over a long time) that when I list something in a 7 day auction, and it starts on a Tuesday night and so ends on a Tuesday night, for the types of things I sell, I've found that those sales consistently brought more than listings that started and stopped on other days, or other times of the day.

Then one day I was watching an interview with Marissa Mayer (she was working at Google at the time) and she said they noticed that their new products got a much better response when they started on a Tuesday or Wednesday than those that launched on other days (overall, depending on the quality of the product, of course).

There is definitely something to figure in, as far as patterns like that to most things, but creating an account doesn't seem like it's one of those things that would actually follow a pattern.... People start an account from their work computer during business hours, and people who are self employed start accounts during the day, and so on.... so I would guess that may be one thing that may not follow a pattern enough to be factored into whatever Ebay uses to measure things, but then again you never know, and as Jeffweico says, until you have a lot of similar results consistently over a longer period of time, it's hard to say for sure.

*Edit: reading over that again, I don't think I really contributed anything really, more than "I see what you're saying, but I don't think so..." Sorry for being so long winded!

Last edited by NewYork; 09-25-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2015

Longevity: 62%

I always thought listing and ending on Sundays was the way to do it. Now I'll try a tues or weds.
Old 09-25-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 17%
Longevity: 91%

Same experience as Jeff.
No discernible pattern when it comes to time of day and creation of the account. Seems fairly random and doesnt seem to play a role in the limits received.
Old 09-25-2015
Executive [VIP]

Nope... Addresses and names do make a big difference though
access0ner (09-27-2015), dealagreeproceed (09-27-2015)
Old 09-25-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts

It has been proven that with auctions, they time of day you list and the time of day (and the day) that the auctions end DOES make a difference. And that makes sense. Because if your item is ending at 3am, nobody is going to stay up to bid on it.

But as far as account creation, I would be VERY surprised if anyone came up witwssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss2

<<<under Catattck!>>>

But as far as account creation, I would be VERY surprised if anyone came up with reliable evidence that the time of day made any difference as to the account limits.

Last edited by jeffweico; 09-25-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-27-2015
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 59%

Nice if I remember correctly you are right.

The basis of it is, the best time to end your auction style listing is on a Sunday.

But people that search for things on Tuesdays (which eBay usually lists "Best Match" as "Recently Listed") are more likely to be searching for things that they NEED as opposed to Sunday searchers which kind of breeze through things? So it may be smart to start auction style listings on a Tuesday and have them be 5 days..

I read somewhere there was some algorithem to prove this. I forgot where..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYork View Post
Makes sense. Years ago I noticed (after listing a lot of stuff over a long time) that when I list something in a 7 day auction, and it starts on a Tuesday night and so ends on a Tuesday night, for the types of things I sell, I've found that those sales consistently brought more than listings that started and stopped on other days, or other times of the day.

Then one day I was watching an interview with Marissa Mayer (she was working at Google at the time) and she said they noticed that their new products got a much better response when they started on a Tuesday or Wednesday than those that launched on other days (overall, depending on the quality of the product, of course).

There is definitely something to figure in, as far as patterns like that to most things, but creating an account doesn't seem like it's one of those things that would actually follow a pattern.... People start an account from their work computer during business hours, and people who are self employed start accounts during the day, and so on.... so I would guess that may be one thing that may not follow a pattern enough to be factored into whatever Ebay uses to measure things, but then again you never know, and as Jeffweico says, until you have a lot of similar results consistently over a longer period of time, it's hard to say for sure.

*Edit: reading over that again, I don't think I really contributed anything really, more than "I see what you're saying, but I don't think so..." Sorry for being so long winded!
Old 10-05-2015

Longevity: 78%

interesting thread. i've been making various times days for 6 years off and on..
i'd say makes no difference in creation. as all above stated.

but as far as sales.....
( if anything is the survival, omg compared to 09/2010 ebay bots are ON steroids and hgh and adderall with a Scarface table full of cocaine .. < bot snorts cocaine and yells > " So.... you want to sell something ????

@access0ner
i think that is a good point/find
some truth to that..
The Following User Says Thank You to write For This Useful Post:
access0ner (10-07-2015)