Counterfeit items - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 05-12-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 46%
Exclamation Counterfeit items

I notice that there is this account selling a shirt that has to be 100% from a china replica website because of the unrealistic price and they've sold over 1000 shirts of the same type yet they list the shirt in the title and description to be authentic... How has their listing not been taken down?

Second question, would'nt it be a harsher punishment if you listed an item as real when its a replica than to list an item admitting its unauthentic and it being sold.

Also how many times can your account get 7-day suspensions before your ebay account is no longer able to sell any thing or does it not effect you
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-12-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%
Default Re: Counterfeit items

What shirt was it?
Old 05-12-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

I would say, its more moral to be honest and say your item is inauthentic, rather than lie and deceive your buyers. In terms of punishment, ebay would treat both the same way. As for what you are saying, yes, without a doubt there are branded shirts being sold in hundreds every week, and they are getting away with it. I have seen it first hand.
Old 05-12-2016

Longevity: 55%

Chinese sellers by any chance?, they sell so much stuff and therefore pay so much in fee's to eBay/PayPal that the platforms are perfectly happy to turn a blind eye to them and let them brazenly get away with just about anything. At the same time everyone, including the platforms, know that China is and probably will always be counterfeit central.
Old 05-12-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieTosie View Post
Chinese sellers by any chance?, they sell so much stuff and therefore pay so much in fee's to eBay/PayPal that the platforms are perfectly happy to turn a blind eye to them and let them brazenly get away with just about anything. At the same time everyone, including the platforms, know that China is and probably will always be counterfeit central.
The tshirts that I have come across time and time again have been chinese imports and they get away all the time.

I dont buy any branded clothes from ebay unless the seller actually has a shop on the high street.
Old 05-12-2016

Longevity: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
The tshirts that I have come across time and time again have been chinese imports and they get away all the time.

I dont buy any branded clothes from ebay unless the seller actually has a shop on the high street.

Wise choice Play.
The Following User Says Thank You to RosieTosie For This Useful Post:
Play (05-13-2016)
Old 05-12-2016

Longevity: 56%

Nearly everything on ebay from big brands is fa ke. Ralph lauren,lacoste,hugo boss 95% of the sales are fa kes.

If you put that its fa ke then ebay are much more likely to remove it
Old 05-12-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by clout33 View Post
I notice that there is this account selling a shirt that has to be 100% from a china replica website because of the unrealistic price and they've sold over 1000 shirts of the same type yet they list the shirt in the title and description to be authentic... How has their listing not been taken down?

Second question, would'nt it be a harsher punishment if you listed an item as real when its a replica than to list an item admitting its unauthentic and it being sold.

Also how many times can your account get 7-day suspensions before your ebay account is no longer able to sell any thing or does it not effect you
Welcome to the forums.

1. Some sellers can get away with it - keeping under bot-takedown radars or experience with trial and error - does not mean it lasts forever...

2. Harsher punishment as in what...? Buyers will be pissed...you will get negative feedback...account goes down the drain...why even bother to mislead buyers?

3. Also varies...account can be blocked even before you are "lucky" to be hit with 7-day suspension...
Old 05-12-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

eBay gets around to everyone eventually. Some people are able to stay under the radar longer than others. In terms of eBay's rules, counterfeit items are prohibited. It makes no difference if you are admitting it is a knock off or if you are selling it as the real thing. I think that to PEOPLE it makes a difference. If you are selling someone counterfeits and claiming they are authentic, I think of that as ripping people off. I think law enforcement would feel the same way as eBay. Just because you advertise it as a knock-off does not make selling it legal.

Many years ago, I tried selling some of this stuff. I stopped because I realized there was no way to build a long term successful business that way. Yes, it can be a quick infusion of cash, but you have to deal with lost accounts, shipments seized by customs and a nagging feeling that one day you are going to get caught. If they catch you and can prove that you sold 10 items, it is no big deal. If they catch you and believe that you have sold THOUSANDS of items, then it suddenly becomes a much bigger deal. Jail time would not be out of the question. It just isn't worth it.

At first, I felt like a lot of others, that the only way to profitably sell on eBay was by selling counterfeits. But then I got Terapeak and started researching items, everything I could find. From wound care supplies to books, to movies, to dishware to computer parts.

What I found was that it is not the popular items that are good for small sellers, it is niche items - those that have a decent profit margin and little competition. When you find one, you have between 1 and 6 months to make sales before others start following you. And it is not as easy as going to one website, ordering 1,000 items wholesale and then going to eBay and listing it for sale. But in the end, the extra effort is worth it.

Because now, you have a dozen niche items and it is starting to add up to some decent money. Keep finding new niches - with MILLIONS of items that you can sell, you should never run out of new ideas. You will have fewer lost accounts, you won't have to worry that the next knock at the door is going to be ICE and you won't be fielding complaints from angry customers who are upset because you sold them a counterfeit.

Last edited by jeffweico; 05-12-2016 at 08:27 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
camouflage (05-13-2016), GreenBean (05-12-2016), NewYork (06-02-2016), Payelectronica (05-18-2016), Play (05-13-2016), zac2409 (06-12-2016)
Old 05-13-2016
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
that have a decent profit margin and little competition. When you find one, you have between 1 and 6 months to make sales before others start following you..
Isn't that the truth!

I lucked out and bought something at a Garage Sale, it was a broken simi-rare camera and I sold the camera and accessories all separate.

When I went to list the USB Cable for this particular camera, I noticed I was the only one on eBay that had one so I listed it high for $30

After doing so, it immediately sold and I had a few people email me and ask if I had anymore. I contacted the US Customer service phone number for the Camera company and asked if I could buy the cable for this particular model.

They told me yes, and it was $4.95 (free shipping) for the Genuine part. I said "Great" I'll take a 100 of them.

I was ecstatic, as I was selling enough to profit $1000+ a month just on this easy to get and ship item.

WELL: 2 months later, here come the Chinese sellers, several of them, listing their cheap garbage for $2.99 against my $30. cables.

Game Over!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
Play (05-13-2016), vetus (06-08-2016), zac2409 (06-12-2016)
Old 05-14-2016

Longevity: 73%

Also many times there is a lapse in production I have had products sit and sit then all the sudden no more low ballers and sell 1000 pcs in a month then here comes china again .
Old 05-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrass1 View Post
Also many times there is a lapse in production I have had products sit and sit then all the sudden no more low ballers and sell 1000 pcs in a month then here comes china again .
Yes for sure! There are items I have in stock for months, sometimes 1-2 years and out of nowhere they start to sell. Sometimes it simply takes a long time for stock to run out with other sellers until it reaches your price range.
Old 05-18-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Counterfeits running rampant in all sectors :(
Old 05-18-2016

Longevity: 73%

Wasnt to long ago they had pallets of f ke 100 bills get seized in hkk customs really mess things up for awhile . I order unbranded real merchandise and still have problems cause all the counterfeiters
Old 06-02-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 51%

Apple sells the new 2m long (extra heavy duty, too...it's the one that now comes with a new iPad Pro) USB to lightning connector for $29 on their site, and you can't get more than 5% off it with any kind of school, business, or quantity discount. Yet there are people selling them on ebay by the 100's for $8 each, swearing they are genuine.

I feel badly for the people who don't know better (like my parents, they'd fall for something like this) who trust them that it's genuine but don't realize how that's completely impossible. I think Ebay knows EXACTLY who a great % of these counterfeiters are, but if they can claim ignorance, and the seller keeps a good enough % seller rating, I think they just let them sell and pretend they don't notice. I've always been convinced that this "blind eye" stuff plays a big part in their "seller % rating" rules that they keep coming out with, helping these pro sellers of huge quantities to keep getting away with it and paying commissions.