May have an opportunity to buy a colleague's (very) aged eBay account - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 07-12-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 40%
Default May have an opportunity to buy a colleague's (very) aged eBay account

2002 eBay account potentially available for me to buy - not anyone else I promise, this is not an advertisement - wish I did have an aged account like that for me. I have actually already purchased an account on here today, and a VPN service - so I am getting my teeth into the process. But my hope is, like most of you, to have several accounts to fall back on.

Is there a resource on here that guides one through how to successfully complete a "buying an eBay account from a friend etc" transaction. As in not buying from an account vendor, but more the man on the street, friends, relatives, colleagues etc.

Can I just buy their eBay account, not Paypal? And then attach their eBay account to a different PayPal account.

What information do I need from them, after buying it?

How do I ensure the account is completely disassociated from the previous owner of the account.

The account was active and selling (mostly cheap CDs and DVDs in quite large quantities) up until about 6 months ago. I presume eBay cases could then not be opened on the account as 60 days have passed after the eBay sales? PayPal cases can be though, but I do not want the PP account. Or do i? lol

Would appreciate some guidance if poss on the process.

Thx as always, brilliant advice so far in my early days on the site.

Last edited by iphone_seller; 07-12-2017 at 12:54 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-12-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: May have an opportunity to buy a colleague's (very) aged eBay account

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone_seller View Post
Can I just buy their eBay account, not Paypal? And then attach their eBay account to a different PayPal account.
While you can do that it is very risk

Its best to get the eBay & the PayPal goes with the eBay
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
iphone_seller (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017
Threadstarter  

Default Re: May have an opportunity to buy a colleague's (very) aged eBay account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
While you can do that it is very risk

Its best to get the eBay & the PayPal goes with the eBay
I presumed buying their PayPal would be a no go for them, as it would be like I would be able buy things in their name with their banks attached etc.

Its a colleague I am in discussion with, not somebody who is familiar with this world. Think of him as a regular joe.

Also he is a colleague not a friend friend so not one of those where I can temporarily have access to his bank etc.

How would you guys approach this scenario?
Old 07-12-2017
Executive [VIP]

I just wouldn't get the account personally
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
rsot (07-13-2017)
Old 07-12-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Walk away, make your own accounts.
Old 07-12-2017
Threadstarter  

Appreciate the advice! Wow I thought the reaction would be to get such an account by any means possible lol.

Is there no way I can make this work?

Would seem a shame, the guy is retiring from eBay entirely.
Old 07-12-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,096 Times in 824 Posts
Longevity: 73%

it is not wise to buy a ebay without the paypal attached to it,

if he ever gets his original paypal closed it will cause risk to your account and same goes if you got the new paypal you used closed.

You also have no idea if there is already issues with that paypal account, and if there was, your ebay is pretty much useless, because once your paypal is gone, so is the ebay account.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunneh For This Useful Post:
iphone_seller (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Is there no way I can make this work?
Not without the original PayPal. Its just set up to have issues later on otherwise
Old 07-12-2017
Threadstarter  

Gotcha, yep probably is not a "go" this from the sounds of it - lets assume though there are currently no underlying issues with either his Paypal and eBay account. They are both rock solid.

What way would you go about buying both the eBay and PayPal accounts?

Pretty sure he would not want to leave his bank account/s attached to his PayPal. Would it be a case of removing those links?

Like I say just throwing out hypotheticals here
Old 07-12-2017

Longevity: 55%

I assume his PayPal is verified with either an EIN or SSN too so I would just walk away or you're gonna have some messy tax issues in the future
Old 07-12-2017
Executive [VIP]

We don't have things like that in the UK
Old 07-12-2017

Longevity: 55%

Completely disregarded the user's flag. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ignore what I said

The Following User Says Thank You to jakobrockz For This Useful Post:
JamesNorth101 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobrockz View Post
Completely disregarded the user's flag. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ignore what I said

Haha no worries.
Old 07-12-2017
Executive [VIP]

i doubt he would want to give you his real id should you need it getting limited for selling iphones.
Old 07-12-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
Not without the original PayPal. Its just set up to have issues later on otherwise
What type of issues could arise may I ask?

Unlinking his current PP from the eBay account, attaching a different PP account to the eBay account I mean.

Chargebacks would go to the old PP account that he would have.

I get the message from you not having both the original eBay and PP would be a bad idea but nobody has said why this is? (Again from a me inheriting just his eBay account POV)
Old 07-13-2017
Threadstarter  

OK so looks like this may be getting closer - taking on just his eBay not his PP. The idea of historic chargebacks etc puts me off the PP massively.

I appreciate the vibes I am getting is that it may not be a good idea to take one not both (although still not sure why) but hypothetically if this was you and you were set on taking over somebody's eBay account only, what would you ask from them after your purchase of the account?

Would presume I would need him at his end (on his IP) to unlink his PayPal first maybe link mine to his whilst he is there? Change his registered eBay email address to a fresh one I give him etc? Change his phone number?

Then once he has done all that, perhaps not at the same time - I would be following the usual stealth rules otherwise, use a Fresh IP when logging into it at my end, not change the name or password.

Again I understand creating a stealth account is the cleaner more sure way of going about this (which I am doing) but just putting yourselves in this scenario what would you ask for and in what order from the account seller?, who again has absolutely no knowledge of this stealth world (the importance of IP addresses cookies etc etc.)

Thanks again
Old 07-13-2017
Executive [VIP]

if you take ONLY the ebay account you have still the same amount of risk.

If he gets his original paypal closed or has a negative balance from any claim, your paypal that you add will get affected to.

the original ebay and paypal account are LINKED forever and whatever will happen to those two accounts, will affect any new paypal you link to the ebay.

If he has a limitation in the future ( so will you)
if he gets closed ( so will you)
if he gets closed owing paypal money ( that will be your problem to)

If you make a new paypal account, it will also look highly suspicious if his original paypal was in John Smith and you make yours in Steve Jobs name.

I am sure if you use his REAL info to make a new paypal it could also not end well, as if you ever get closed owing money or anything else, the debt collecter or worse.. goes after him not you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunneh For This Useful Post:
iphone_seller (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017
Threadstarter  

Understood thanks, so the main aspect is the effects something bad happening to either of our accounts is the crux here and that then being impactful on each other.

I just rang PayPal there under the guise of I was thinking of taking on a friend's eBay business account. Am I allowed to do this from a PayPal POV.

They said yes its absolutely fine, just unlink the PayPal account from the eBay account, and add your own to that.

But I get what you are saying in light of the long term feasibility of doing this, if something kicks off with his original accounts etc, a lot of trust would need to be involved.
Old 07-13-2017

Longevity: 66%

ask your self this. would you sell an ebay and or a paypal account to a none friend ?
Old 07-13-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktech View Post
ask your self this. would you sell an ebay and or a paypal account to a none friend ?
Guessing you mean as a seller of your personal account you would fear the new owner would do some damage to it and therefore you? Fair point.

To paint a picture however this is an elderly chap I am buying from, retiring. No intention whatsoever to trade on eBay anymore. Their account is outstanding probably one of the best I have ever seen. It is again from 2002, no ID changes in that time - their feedback score is over 160,000 with 5.0 DSRs across the board - a couple of negatives in the past 12 months, against 4000+ positives. They delt mostly in DVDs so if something really did kick off with a past sale I would be fine just refunding his buyer myself - but 60 days have past since his last sale so hopefully nothing drastic is looming. And chargebacks would again go to his PP account that he would keep.

I myself on the other hand have had the same account for 11 years, immaculate feedback and standing up until last week, and I am just wanting to continue where I left off tbh, in buying his account and using it.

So in terms of the credibility of who is selling it and who is buying it I would like to think we are both in safe territory here. The guy himself said he thinks its a shame to let his old account go to waste.

So he has nothing to lose really (if we are to accept both parties are bona fide!) - if we do get caught out by eBay as he is retiring anyway he loses nothing - and I have nothing to lose either except the payment I would give him for the account, which to be honest is very modest.

Can anyone at least give me broad strokes as to what they would do if you were of my mindset and were going to run with this. I.e. pay him, then:

step 1, get the old owner of the account on their own IP address unlink their PayPal

step 2, get them to change the registered email address to one I provide them with

step 3, under usual stealth rules I can then begin logging into their account, on a fresh user account on a new IP address. Start building up cookies etc on that log in.

etc
Old 07-13-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
I just rang PayPal there under the guise of I was thinking of taking on a friend's eBay business account. Am I allowed to do this from a PayPal POV.

They said yes its absolutely fine, just unlink the PayPal account from the eBay account, and add your own to that.
Don't think for a second that PP agents are knowledgeable about the security flags internal to PP/eb - lot of them are just saying things to end calls...
Old 07-13-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Don't think for a second that PP agents are knowledgeable about the security flags internal to PP/eb - lot of them are just saying things to end calls...
Yeah good point, I was through to limitations though, possibly a more relevant department than their first line CS agents. See what you're saying though

Last edited by iphone_seller; 07-13-2017 at 07:37 AM.