has Paypal EU limitations policy changed in the last 2 weeks? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 11-11-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 37%
Default has Paypal EU limitations policy changed in the last 2 weeks?

Has paypals recent policy changed so that they now request both electronic + ID/proof of address to pass EU Withdrawal Limits?

Up until 2 weeks ago provided they could do an electronic check on the person they did not require ID + proof of address. In the last 2 weeks i've hit the limit on 2 accounts and they have both been confirmed electronically but still need to send ID in.

Has anyone else noticed this, or gotten away with just electronic checks in the last 2 weeks?

Accounts have been setup in 2 old relatives details(who don't have ID, hence why i've used every other person possible first) so that is possibly a cause too. Previous accounts have always been younger, but these 2 are 70+, that is the only disparages. I hope its just an age thing.

Can anyone shed light?

Emptying accounts before i send ID in.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-11-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: has Paypal EU limitations policy changed in the last 2 weeks?

They can still reverse transfers

Be very careful.

I take it you mean the UK and the £1900 anti-money laundering?

Last edited by GreenBean; 11-11-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-11-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post

Be very careful.

I take it you mean the UK and the £1900 anti-money laundering?

Yes thats the one, as long as they are able to check the person electronically(which they can and have on these last 2) i've never had to send ID before .. Now they checked the person and take me to the next steps to send docs. i literally done some 2 weeks ago fine, in the last 2 weeks had 2 balls up .. and recently got the "changes to our legal agreement" email they've been sending. I've read through it but it doesn't say anything about it.

Have you had any experience in the last 2 weeks?

Last edited by TGMT²; 11-11-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2017

Longevity: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Not if there's no money in the account.
Old 11-11-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaystealth1974 View Post
Not if there's no money in the account.
Once moneys hit the bank account paypal cant touch it.
Old 11-16-2017

Longevity: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigloganbt View Post
Once moneys hit the bank account paypal cant touch it.
Provided you haven't set up a direct debit on the paypal account otherwise they would most likely withdraw the money again Lol.
Old 11-16-2017

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brown View Post
Provided you haven't set up a direct debit on the paypal account otherwise they would most likely withdraw the money again Lol.
If they pull money from your bank account using direct debit you can instruct the bank to pull back under direct debit rules
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arktech For This Useful Post:
James Brown (11-17-2017), sasatefa2009 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-24-2017

Longevity: 40%

Whilst it is true that PayPal perform random & automated checks with the credit reference agencies (mainly for the electoral roll data), there is no definitive method to know whether their check was successful or even attempted. There is nothing on PayPal to signify a confirmed identity on the account - apart from the limits, which still and always have required documentation to lift.

Sending in documentation has always been a pain in the arse, but it is a solid proof factor for PayPal (at-least in their eyes) and will always reserve the right to ask for it, regardless of electronic checks. If anything, these checks will only hold off a limitation for so long, before EU regulations require actual proof of identity and address, like a bank does.
Old 11-24-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerald View Post
Whilst it is true that PayPal perform random & automated checks with the credit reference agencies (mainly for the electoral roll data), there is no definitive method to know whether their check was successful or even attempted. There is nothing on PayPal to signify a confirmed identity on the account - What about the part that says identity confirmed, after they check your ID electronically?...apart from the limits, which still and always have required documentation to lift.

Sending in documentation has always been a pain in the arse, but it is a solid proof factor for PayPal (at-least in their eyes) and will always reserve the right to ask for it, regardless of electronic checks. If anything, these checks will only hold off a limitation for so long, before EU regulations require actual proof of identity and address, like a bank does.
Stop spreading misinformation pal. If you don't know just keep quiet. They are not authorised on UK paypal to "credit check" unless you apply for paypal credit(you agree to to allow them then)

They check the ER, since its free there is no reason for them not to do it every time. Raising limits has not "always required documents" Except for these 2 accounts i've passed EU withdrawal limits, all previous accounts have not needed them. Electronic check suffice.

Many banks use electronic checks as "actual proof of identity and address" What ever that is
Old 11-24-2017

Longevity: 58%

Same here.Waiting for 2 weeks and seems they forget reviewing my account.
Old 11-25-2017

Quote:
Stop spreading misinformation pal. If you don't know just keep quiet. They are not authorised on UK paypal to "credit check" unless you apply for paypal credit(you agree to to allow them then)

They check the ER, since its free there is no reason for them not to do it every time. Raising limits has not "always required documents" Except for these 2 accounts i've passed EU withdrawal limits, all previous accounts have not needed them. Electronic check suffice.

Many banks use electronic checks as "actual proof of identity and address" What ever that is
I am not your pal and it is not a misinformation. PayPal do not perform a "credit check" and I never stated such, please know your facts before throwing out shade.

I said that PayPal check your identity with CallCredit, which is a credit reference agency. They are a financial provider and within the law, are permitted to perform an anti-money laundering identity check with the credit reference agencies using the details you supply to them. It is also contained within their User Agreement, which you agree to upon signup.

No, the search will not leave a footprint for other lenders to see, as they are not doing a hard search or an application for credit search, it is simply to confirm the person's credentials.

In terms of the point stating that PayPal have and always will require documentation > this is true for those who fail the electronic checks, in which PayPal cannot immediately confirm the person's identity or in an account limitation, where only documentation is accepted, no electronic checks are used to lift the limitation. So either way, documentation will be asked for in the end, whether its to confirm your account or to resolve a limitation.

Whilst the electronic checks will act as a remedy for using your account with a confirmed identity, it does not provide an armory against them asking for physical documents in the future.

As for the banks, these days, some banks will be able to open an account using purely digital checks, but under current legislation, you could still be required to present your passport and any other relevant paperwork on demand or at a later date of account opening.
Old 11-26-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I am not your pal and it is not a misinformation. PayPal do not perform a "credit check" and I never stated such, please know your facts before throwing out shade.

I said that PayPal check your identity with CallCredit, which is a credit reference agency. They are a financial provider and within the law, are permitted to perform an anti-money laundering identity check with the credit reference agencies using the details you supply to them. It is also contained within their User Agreement, which you agree to upon signup.

No, the search will not leave a footprint for other lenders to see, as they are not doing a hard search or an application for credit search, it is simply to confirm the person's credentials.

In terms of the point stating that PayPal have and always will require documentation > this is true for those who fail the electronic checks, in which PayPal cannot immediately confirm the person's identity or in an account limitation, where only documentation is accepted, no electronic checks are used to lift the limitation. So either way, documentation will be asked for in the end, whether its to confirm your account or to resolve a limitation.

Whilst the electronic checks will act as a remedy for using your account with a confirmed identity, it does not provide an armory against them asking for physical documents in the future. Neither does sending documents, they can ask you 10 times for documents

As for the banks, these days, some banks will be able to open an account using purely digital checks, but under current legislation, you could still be required to present your passport and any other relevant paperwork on demand or at a later date of account opening.

So basically in your second post you change everything you said in your first post and rephrased everything i corrected you with? Bore off with your misinformation, pal.

If's and buts kinda of guy. We know your type.
Old 11-26-2017

Quote:
So basically in your second post you change everything you said in your first post and rephrased everything i corrected you with? Bore off with your misinformation, pal.

You asked for advice, you got it. My post didn't change the original advice I gave, it narrowed it down further, for your special brain to process.

Sort out your attitude problem or go somewhere else, there's plenty of other sites to go and leech + burn from.
Old 11-26-2017
MU

Longevity: 82%

Quote:

Nothing he said was incorrect, you're just not reading it the way he worded it in terms of limits the way he intended. Being rude isn't going to get you a lot of help, by the way. There was no need to get personal so quickly.

That said, your first thought on the ages of the parties may be exactly the issue. How many seniors are suddenly opening eBay and PayPal accounts? Very few, I'd wager. I would assume their bots are requesting identity info because they suspect identity theft/fraud.
Old 11-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
Nothing he said was incorrect, you're just not reading it the way he worded it in terms of limits the way he intended. Being rude isn't going to get you a lot of help, by the way. There was no need to get personal so quickly.

That said, your first thought on the ages of the parties may be exactly the issue. How many seniors are suddenly opening eBay and PayPal accounts? Very few, I'd wager. I would assume their bots are requesting identity info because they suspect identity theft/fraud.
Yes, I do find it hard to understand how he is successfully opening accounts that are able to pass electronic checks, unless he is using someone's real details other than their own, which is a criminal offence and goes beyond stealth.

If you do have permission from them, which I would have to assume you do, then I would tread carefully.

Based on their attitude, I certainly wouldn't feel safe letting them create a PayPal account under my name...

In terms of being limited for cleaning out the accounts prior to review, it would certainly shout "fraud" from the rooftops, although every limitation is discretionary, so it can never be for certain.

In terms of being asked to produce ID for the seniors, it is most likely because they cannot verify the required details on their electronic checks. This can happen, even if they are on the electoral register etc. as I mentioned, they will always turn to documentation, as it is still embedded in the law to prevent money laundering and identity theft.

Last edited by JHerald; 11-27-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post

Where did i get personal? I've made no personal comments towards him, I suggested he doesn't comment if this statements are false,

I too suspect its an age thing, but asked for more experienced members, not just some guy who wants to get his post count up posting the first thing in his head.

He said "There is nothing on PayPal to signify a confirmed identity on the account" False when you confirm electronically it is ticked off, signifying it is confirmed.

Quote:
limits, which still and always have required documentation to lift.
False again

Quote:
Yes, I do find it hard to understand how he is successfully opening accounts that are able to pass electronic checks, unless he is using someone's real details other than their own, which is a criminal offence and goes beyond stealth. Boring mate

If you do have permission from them, which I would have to assume you do, then I would tread carefully. Did you even read the OP?

Based on their attitude, I certainly wouldn't feel safe letting them create a PayPal account under my name... yawn

In terms of being limited for cleaning out the accounts prior to review, it would certainly shout "fraud" from the rooftops, although every limitation is discretionary, so it can never be for certain. off topic

In terms of being asked to produce ID for the seniors, it is most likely because they cannot verify the required details on their electronic checks.
Did you even read the OP?

This can happen, even if they are on the electoral register etc. as I mentioned, they will always turn to documentation, as it is still embedded in the law to prevent money laundering and identity theft.

So i guess banks, cc providers, paypal, credit companies, loan companies, etc just sometime decide to ignore this law when they can't be bothered to ask for ID docs and just accept an electronic signature instead?
Old 11-27-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
You asked for advice, you got it. My post didn't change the original advice I gave, it narrowed it down further, for your special brain to process.

Sort out your attitude problem or go somewhere else, there's plenty of other sites to go and leech + burn from.
I've done well enough for the last decade without this or other forums. But since this sites not yours i think il'l stick around because some people on here to have useful information. Unfortunately not all
Old 11-27-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 26%
Longevity: 54%

@ craigloganbt I advice you to check and read PayPal terms and conditions they don't just check electoral register they do many many types check with many reference agencies around the world specially risk assessment
For your information they check your identity using credit reference agencies and also do money laundry check on you since by law they have to same as banks

When these checks fails then they request documents for manual review

If you doing high turnover then they do these check once or twice a year
Old 11-28-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2free View Post
@ craigloganbt I advice you to check and read PayPal terms and conditions they don't just check electoral register they do many many types check with many reference agencies around the world specially risk assessment
For your information they check your identity using credit reference agencies and also do money laundry check on you since by law they have to same as banks

When these checks fails then they request documents for manual review

If you doing high turnover then they do these check once or twice a year
Yes i know, when and if. Neither of those that apply to these 2 accounts.

As for AML checks what database exactly do they check against? I've googled but nothing comes up except for "you need to do AML checks?

One would assume there is a government database of suspected money launderers?