Tethering/poor signal/home move - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 02-25-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Tethering/poor signal/home move

Hi all

I posted a few weeks ago and got some great advice. Basically at my new property. I have looked at and considered VPNs, thethering, dongle

I was assured by the internet provider that I would have a dynamic IP, as used with great sucess at my old address. No, it has remained static

So after some great reads and advice here, I plan on getting a 3 unlimited data sim, ditching the broadband and tethering using the phone

The only downside is that I live in an area which is a bit of a mobile blackspot. In my 'ebay office' I can maintain 1 bar with the 3 network, nothing with the others. Up to 3 bars on the three network in other parts of the house.

So the plan will be to tether with three as above, and possibly look at a signal booster if this proves to be slow/unreliable

On that note, does anyone have any experience with these, do any come recomended?

I also am going from router to tethering, is this something eb or pp will detect/raise flags?

Any advice or coments much appreciated

Cheers
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-25-2019
Threadstarter  

Default Re: Tethering/poor signal/home move

Also nothing else at home will be powered with this, tv, etc, just my mobile and the internet
Old 02-25-2019

Longevity: 34%

Network Cell Info Lite app. Let's you map out your home by signal strength and shows you which tower you're connected to. I used that info when deciding where I wanted to put my cell signal booster.

I got a used WeBoost home version refurbished off Ebay for $350. In my specific case my cellphone data speeds went from 8-12mb/s to 32mb/s and hotspot speeds went from 1-3mb/s to 5-6mb/s.

You can write this off as a business purchase too.

Since you can get at least 3 bars in certain parts of your home that means the cell booster will definitely increase your speeds. If you had a weak signal throughout your location you'd be out of luck as you can't 'boost' (or really it's just a repeater and antennae) an already weak signal.

You can put DD-WRT custom firmware on most D-Link routers to make them into repeaters if house walls are thick. You can get some pretty decent ones on Ebay used for 12 bucks. I put the firmware on 3 routers to give my hotspot network enough coverage throughout my house so I can go on the porch with my phone without the whole network coming down :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunspot144 For This Useful Post:
welshdan (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019
Threadstarter  

Im not a tech person so some of this has gone right over my head.

I will have a look at the app if the signal that I have on the new contract proves insufficient. Also great heads up with the WeBoost. I have had a little look, I will wait and see how it goes without before buying one of these

You lost me in the last paragraph!!

Cheers!
Old 02-26-2019
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 55%
Longevity: 91%

The problem with cell phone IP is that the pool is limited and the IPs overused.

I'd never use a cell phone IP pool personally.

I either use a dedicated VPN or a regular home cable internet for my IP
Old 02-26-2019
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the reply.

Home internet only had one Static IP

unfortunately I use maybe 25 accounts, selling small volumes and low value items.

VPNs for all of these would not be cost effective, I have had to rule this out
Old 02-26-2019

Longevity: 34%

Might not need to do what I did with some routers to make a home network if your router already gives you good wireless home network coverage.

Just random bit of background in case you wanted to know - a lot of routers you buy come with a stock firmware (software that tells the device how to operate) but what router manufacturers dont want is for the router to do more than it's actually capable of.

So stock routers take internet connection, then broadcast it to receiving devices (PC, TV, etc).

But what routers can also do is take an internet connection from another router and rebroadcast the signal (repeater) on more parts of your home. That gives you more home coverage and stronger/faster hotspot speeds. To turn stock routers into repeaters a custom firmware like DD-WRT is flashed onto them.
Old 02-26-2019
Threadstarter  

Thanks Sunspot

Great to have any info and advice. I am going to go with the simple options for me fist. It is great to know that there are indeed further options - I will bear this post in mind and might be back to pick your brains at some point

Cheers,