Just to let you know i got the wrong info on here about logging of your acnt rather - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 04-19-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 45%
Default Just to let you know i got the wrong info on here about logging of your acnt rather

Just to let you know about 7 months ago a senior member on here told me during a topic discussed on this forum not to shut down your PC when switching bewteen accounts or youd get into loads of problems ..

He said you just have to log off ..So i thought that sounds legit to me ..So i did all the time

I recently found out By simply logging of does not change the IP address on your dongle (i did some checks and found out)

You have to shut down the computer then the IP changes every time you shut down

I think iv lost maybe 3 accounts cos of this wrong info
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Just to let you know i got the wrong info on here about logging of your acnt rath

Not sure who told you that but its poor infomation...

To change an IP on a dongle all you need to do is reset the dongle (turn it on and then on again or reset it through the control panel)

Resetting your IP if your using a dongle plugged into your PC has the same effect only because the power is turned off and then on again which forced the dongle to reset. Its a side effect of restarting the PC but a PC restart really isnt needed.

You can log out your user account and then log into a next one and simply reset the dongle.
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Just to let you know i got the wrong info on here about logging of your acnt rath

Always best to combine advice here with your own research. Simply checking to see what your public IP was after logging in/out could have saved you a lot of trouble.
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 85%

Yeah, as James says a dongle needs to be turned off / on to change the IP.
Old 04-19-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Always best to combine advice here with your own research. Simply checking to see what your public IP was after logging in/out could have saved you a lot of trouble.
Yes but you dont expect it from a trusted senior member who has given out realy good advice in the past
Old 04-19-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
Not sure who told you that but its poor infomation...

To change an IP on a dongle all you need to do is reset the dongle (turn it on and then on again or reset it through the control panel)

Resetting your IP if your using a dongle plugged into your PC has the same effect only because the power is turned off and then on again which forced the dongle to reset. Its a side effect of restarting the PC but a PC restart really isnt needed.

You can log out your user account and then log into a next one and simply reset the dongle.
Im sure i did that took it out the usb then logged of put it back in then logged in and don an IP check and it hadnt changed
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Maybe you misread it? Seems like a very weird thing for anyone who is senior here to think? Do you have a link to the post in question maybe?
Old 04-19-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Maybe you misread it? Seems like a very weird thing for anyone who is senior here to think? Do you have a link to the post in question maybe?
I cant remember who it was and i dont want to get any one a bad name
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 29%
Longevity: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd View Post
Im sure i did that took it out the usb then logged of put it back in then logged in and don an IP check and it hadnt changed
Not all dongles have dynamic IPs.
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Yes but you dont expect it from a trusted senior member who has given out realy good advice in the past
I agree to an extent. With that being said I don't trust any of the members here when there's money on the line.

Anyway sorry that happened to you.
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
IPs wont always change just because the dongle is reset - its why tracking the IP address is so important

Certain ISPs are pretty limited in the range. Restarting the PC wont change that. The IP comes from the ISP and they are assigned to MAC address which are on the dongle / modem / phone etc themselves not on the PC
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Something else is the problem in that case.

Do some experimenting with your dongle and see if the IP changes under any circumstances.
Old 04-19-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Something else is the problem in that case.

Do some experimenting with your dongle and see if the IP changes under any circumstances.
It changes when i shut the PC down completely

Which is what i always used to do before the bad advice
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
It changes when i shut the PC down completely

Which is what i always used to do before the bad advice
Simply a coincidence.

The PC has nothing to do with the IP address changing.

Read over what has been said, its all explained as to whats going on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
BigCJ (04-19-2019), yankee (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

You did not get bad advice. Your situation is unique. ALWAYS check everything. The forum is full of just people of all walks of life and experiences. Not everyone has your best interest at heart. Not everyone knows everything or is good at anything. The person on this forum with the highest post count is one of the most unreliable and inexperienced users for example. He just retypes what he has read here...and oftentimes is wrong.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check and test and confirm.

Another example, 80-90% of this forum users 4 years ago would have said that a VPN is the final nail in the coffin for stealth. Now the owner sells VPNs and you have a purple named person saying it is the best method at all costs..... What works for one person can easily not work for another and sometimes, much like that moderator shoving VPNs down peoples throats for profit, some people have an agenda.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
BigCJ (04-19-2019), Bradd (04-19-2019), ebaystealth1974 (04-19-2019), phaz0rz (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Old 04-19-2019

Longevity: 38%

Old 04-19-2019
Threadstarter  

OK i did a bit of research... I logged of took the dongle out ,then logged back on, did this on 4 different accounts ,and yes the IP changed ,,,BUT one IP didn't, it showed up on 3 different accounts even thou i logged of and took the dongle out the computer every time

So i tried shutting down the computer taking dongle out then switching back on so far that changed the IP all the time ..It might be because it takes longer

So i know which one im gona use
Old 04-19-2019
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

I don't think you got bad advice at all. I think you misunderstood and are conflating two different stealth steps. I'm sure that the forum member who gave you that advice, was referring to switching user accounts, so you don't get linked by cookies. You do not need to constantly shut down your computer to protect against linking by cookies. You simply switch user accounts.

That is an independent step from switching IPs. Based on your dongle, you may have to power it down by removing it from the USB port or just put it in flight mode. You are getting a new IP when you turn off the computer because you are also powering down anything connected to it. Powering down the computer constantly is unnecessary and not great for your computer.

When you are dealing with a problem don't go blaming others and playing the victim especially when it comes to free advice. Look inward and first see what you may have done wrong. There is no way that forum member could have accounted for your lack of tech savvy.
Old 04-20-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 View Post
I don't think you got bad advice at all. I think you misunderstood and are conflating two different stealth steps. I'm sure that the forum member who gave you that advice, was referring to switching user accounts, so you don't get linked by cookies. You do not need to constantly shut down your computer to protect against linking by cookies. You simply switch user accounts.

That is an independent step from switching IPs. Based on your dongle, you may have to power it down by removing it from the USB port or just put it in flight mode. You are getting a new IP when you turn off the computer because you are also powering down anything connected to it. Powering down the computer constantly is unnecessary and not great for your computer.

When you are dealing with a problem don't go blaming others and playing the victim especially when it comes to free advice. Look inward and first see what you may have done wrong. There is no way that forum member could have accounted for your lack of tech savvy.
.The Member who gave me the advice said do not switch user accounts ,,He said just log of But like i said When i did it recently it didn't change the IP on 3 different accounts ..Before any of this i was told always shut down your PC ,,Then i came on here and was told 2 different things (((And he failed to say the most important advice which was to leave the dongle out for 30 seconds.. How is any one supposed to know you have to leave the dongle out for 30 seconds ? ??????) ..So yes i will post what iv been told and iv not blamed any one as i did not reveal who it was and plenty of people did ask me ,,so get of you high horse mate ,.just because you are an IT guru ..Yes its free forum and i have given free advice on here as well i didnt ask for any money ..And it was good advice that others didn't know

Last edited by Bradd; 04-20-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2019
Executive [VIP]

Log out the user account

Take the dongle out for 30 seconds then put it back in

Really that simple
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
Bradd (04-20-2019), desikanjar (06-17-2019), yankee (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Log out the user account

Take the dongle out for 30 seconds then put it back in

Really that simple
Mate after all iv been told if i have to wait 30 seconds i might as well just shut the PC down like iv always been doing