Can you make sales as a new seller selling the same items as chinese? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 02-17-2021

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 23%
Default Can you make sales as a new seller selling the same items as chinese?

Hello, i was browsing dhgate, found some shoes and stuff that sells pretty well on ebay and obviously there are other sellers who are doing huge sales on this item. My question is, if i start selling the same item and undercut them by a pound or two which is still profitable, will i actually get any sales or will my listing just be on page 10 or something and never see the light of day? Just want to know your experience if any of you have been in a similar situation. I just have a feeling if i buy some stock, i won't get any sales because my listing won't be seen on the first page, and evne if it was, people would just buy the top of the page sellers with lots of sales and feedback.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-18-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: Can you make sales as a new seller selling the same items as chinese?

If the shoes and stuff are f*ke...it's going to cause your new accounts major health issues - not just vs. the competition...
Old 02-18-2021
Threadstarter  

Default Re: Can you make sales as a new seller selling the same items as chinese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
If the shoes and stuff are f*ke...it's going to cause your new accounts major health issues - not just vs. the competition...
They're unbranded, not designer or anything. No logo or anything on them.
Old 02-19-2021

Longevity: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmdetection View Post
Hello, i was browsing dhgate, found some shoes and stuff that sells pretty well on ebay and obviously there are other sellers who are doing huge sales on this item. My question is, if i start selling the same item and undercut them by a pound or two which is still profitable, will i actually get any sales or will my listing just be on page 10 or something and never see the light of day? Just want to know your experience if any of you have been in a similar situation. I just have a feeling if i buy some stock, i won't get any sales because my listing won't be seen on the first page, and evne if it was, people would just buy the top of the page sellers with lots of sales and feedback.
I do it all the time, so it can definitely work. Especially if you are the cheapest one there. Ebay tend to "rotate" the listings so everyone gets a chance to sell, so while you will probably get fewer sales than your competition, you should definitely be able to carve out a piece of the market for yourself. Also I recommend going to the top listing and selecting "sell it yourself" and then just adjusting it to suit you. To get high in the listings, it helps to offer a good return period, free shipping and a fast shipping option selected. These choices all factor into how the Ebay bots will grade and place your listing.

Another tip is to put your country's flag in the main picture. For example, Im based in the UK and I sell chinese products for three times the price that the chinese sellers charge. I do it by placing a UK flag on my picture and stating in the ad that the items are shipped by royal mail 1st class. A lot of people will rather pay a bit more and get the item in 3 days than pay a cheaper price and wait for 5 weeks!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainComedown For This Useful Post:
ak_am (02-19-2021), james_112233 (03-11-2021), RetroRedneck (04-06-2021), vmdetection (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainComedown View Post
A lot of people will rather pay a bit more and get the item in 3 days than pay a cheaper price and wait for 5 weeks!
So true - speed and quality are keys
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
ak_am (02-19-2021), CaptainComedown (03-12-2021)
Old 02-19-2021

Longevity: 20%

I agree with captain come down. Also try promoted listings. Crazylister.com has a good blog on getting better conversions than the competition - using a local flag is one of them
Old 02-19-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I do it all the time, so it can definitely work. Especially if you are the cheapest one there. Ebay tend to "rotate" the listings so everyone gets a chance to sell, so while you will probably get fewer sales than your competition, you should definitely be able to carve out a piece of the market for yourself. Also I recommend going to the top listing and selecting "sell it yourself" and then just adjusting it to suit you. To get high in the listings, it helps to offer a good return period, free shipping and a fast shipping option selected. These choices all factor into how the Ebay bots will grade and place your listing.

Another tip is to put your country's flag in the main picture. For example, Im based in the UK and I sell chinese products for three times the price that the chinese sellers charge. I do it by placing a UK flag on my picture and stating in the ad that the items are shipped by royal mail 1st class. A lot of people will rather pay a bit more and get the item in 3 days than pay a cheaper price and wait for 5 weeks!
Thank you for the information. I was already thinking about putting the UK flag in the main picture and stating 48h delivery using royal mail 1st class etc as i've seen that in quite a few sellers. I did stumble upon the crazylister article about how to optimize your listing to appear as close to the top as possible. One thing i've already talked about in other threads is Chinese sellers putting the item location as UK and pretending it's shipped nationally instead of internationally but i guess nothing can be done about that. Still no way to tell if i will get any sales unless i do a test and see how it goes. And there are so many chinese who put UK flag in their pictures, i just don't understand why Ebay allows chinese to pretend to be uk sellers when they're clearly not.

Last edited by vmdetection; 02-19-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2021
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
I know phakes will cause issues, especially for new accounts. However, surprisingly i have seen many "UK" sellers aka chinese pretending to be uk based selling airpods on brand new accounts for days getting huge amount of sales, obviously it won't last but i guess they have a hit n run motto.
The Following User Says Thank You to vmdetection For This Useful Post:
StealthHarry (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021

Longevity: 39%

Lovely hit and run motto

The days of it are numbered

But one last hoorah
Old 03-10-2021

Activity: 6%
Longevity: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmdetection View Post
Thank you for the information. I was already thinking about putting the UK flag in the main picture and stating 48h delivery using royal mail 1st class etc as i've seen that in quite a few sellers. I did stumble upon the crazylister article about how to optimize your listing to appear as close to the top as possible. One thing i've already talked about in other threads is Chinese sellers putting the item location as UK and pretending it's shipped nationally instead of internationally but i guess nothing can be done about that. Still no way to tell if i will get any sales unless i do a test and see how it goes. And there are so many chinese who put UK flag in their pictures, i just don't understand why Ebay allows chinese to pretend to be uk sellers when they're clearly not.
Some Chinese sellers send in by courier, bulk weight then then royal mail forward it on to each uk customer. and not the 5 weeks china post. Royal Mail manager told me about it which sucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to sugarlaces For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (03-11-2021)
Old 03-12-2021

Longevity: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlaces View Post
Some Chinese sellers send in by courier, bulk weight then then royal mail forward it on to each uk customer. and not the 5 weeks china post. Royal Mail manager told me about it which sucks.
Yeah this is true, plus a lot of the china based companies with UK ebay accounts do also have UK warehouses. the problem is they will ship from the UK but if you try to return an item, most of them will insist you return it to China which obviously costs a lot more and takes a lot longer. Ebay must make a lot of money from the Chinese/UK sellers as I have noticed they seem to get away with everything!
Old 03-12-2021
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Yeah this is true, plus a lot of the china based companies with UK ebay accounts do also have UK warehouses. the problem is they will ship from the UK but if you try to return an item, most of them will insist you return it to China which obviously costs a lot more and takes a lot longer. Ebay must make a lot of money from the Chinese/UK sellers as I have noticed they seem to get away with everything!
True point about the returns and costs