Moving to new Laptop & new install of Firefox - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 09-04-2022

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 50%
Default Moving to new Laptop & new install of Firefox

Hi All, Just a quick checking question before moving over to a new laptop and new install of Firefox, avoiding any dropping of the ball.

Regarding Firefox browser, do I need to copy over my current Firefox cookie settings to my new laptop installed Firefox? Or is it easier to just let ebay and paypal do a verification check when I log into them for the first time from the new laptop and new Firefox browser install? Does ebay/paypal verification just send a text message code to my stealth mobile phone or a code to my stealth email address and it’s then job done and the new Firefox browser gets its cookies installed?

I assume that this type of ebay/paypal verification won’t ask for any paperwork verification as my ebay/paypal stealth account is a ‘Buying’ only account – never been setup for selling.

Many thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-11-2022

Longevity: 9%
Default Re: Moving to new Laptop & new install of Firefox

You should be fine without transferring cookies, as long as you are comfortable with a phone verification. If your IP changed as well, transferring cookies might not help you avoiding the verification depending on your setup.
Old 09-13-2022
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormosis View Post
You should be fine without transferring cookies, as long as you are comfortable with a phone verification. If your IP changed as well, transferring cookies might not help you avoiding the verification depending on your setup.
Many thanks for confirming.

I re-read the stealth guide regards any reference to cookies and didn’t see any mention of needing to copy them from your current PC over to a new PC.

I’ve recently moved away from a fixed broadband router (too expensive) to a pay-as-you-go MiFi dongle for internet connection and so far, so good with this method.

I’m doing things in 2 steps to avoid there being too many changes at the same time that may spook ebay/paypal:
  1. I moved over to the new MiFi dongle while still using the old PC, so I only flagged a new IP address, but at least I still had the old cookies – this did trigger a text message verification from paypal, but not from ebay, luckily text message verifications are no problem for me

2. I will now move over to the brand-new PC, connect the MiFi dongle and then log into ebay & paypal – I’m expecting another text message verification from both ebay & paypal due to the new PC not having any browser cookies yet (I use Firefox)

Fingers crossed that once I’ve done this second text message verification, all will be stable and good to go as normal again.
Old 09-13-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Best of luck - report back with your success
Old 09-14-2022

Longevity: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimatrix Zero View Post
Many thanks for confirming.

I re-read the stealth guide regards any reference to cookies and didn’t see any mention of needing to copy them from your current PC over to a new PC.

I’ve recently moved away from a fixed broadband router (too expensive) to a pay-as-you-go MiFi dongle for internet connection and so far, so good with this method.

I’m doing things in 2 steps to avoid there being too many changes at the same time that may spook ebay/paypal:
  1. I moved over to the new MiFi dongle while still using the old PC, so I only flagged a new IP address, but at least I still had the old cookies – this did trigger a text message verification from paypal, but not from ebay, luckily text message verifications are no problem for me

2. I will now move over to the brand-new PC, connect the MiFi dongle and then log into ebay & paypal – I’m expecting another text message verification from both ebay & paypal due to the new PC not having any browser cookies yet (I use Firefox)

Fingers crossed that once I’ve done this second text message verification, all will be stable and good to go as normal again.
Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-16-2022
Threadstarter  

Update:

All looks good regarding the move into a new laptop PC today.

I did explore the idea of copying the Firefox profiles from the old laptop to the new laptop, but gave up after having issues. The old laptop had just 1 profile file *.default, but the new laptop had 2 profiles *.default and *.default-release. Whatever I tried I could not get the new laptop Firefox to recognise the copied over profile from the old laptop.

In the end I took a stiff drink, launched the new laptop Firefox and logged into ebay and paypal. Ebay just needed me to click OK that my email and telephone were correct – no text verification required. Paypal however did require a text message verification and this passed successfully.

I assume that the Firefox on the new laptop now has all the necessary cookies etc. it needs for ebay and paypal to work confidently now that the Firefox profile has been updated?
Old 09-18-2022
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Good update