Switching IP by resetting Modem... 5% Chance of getting an IP previously used? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 11-24-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 56%
Default Switching IP by resetting Modem... 5% Chance of getting an IP previously used?

so I read on here recently that when changing IP by rebooting Modem/Router theres approx a 5% chance of generating an IP that you have already used previously..

I use the Excel spread sheet method now with the green/red alerts.

but for a short while when I first started to stealth I didn't Log IP's, just rebooted modem each time

I lost some stealths recently and I think that maybe I generated an IP that was used with my OLD Real acc that got suspended ages ago

so because IP's were not logged from some old suspended accounts, I can never know if I get an IP that may give the green light on Excel now, but may have already been used a long time ago on old acc's

so think im gonna cancel my Broadband with current provider and start new with someone else..

this will 100% rule out the chances of ever using a IP that ive used before at any time yes? (obviously EVERY IP will be logged in Excel from the beginning when I start service with my new broadband provider.)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-24-2014

Longevity: 75%
Default Re: Switching IP by resetting Modem... 5% Chance of getting an IP previously used?

get a dongle with giffgaff
The Following User Says Thank You to stevebills For This Useful Post:
rsot (11-25-2014)
Old 11-24-2014
Threadstarter  

Default Re: Switching IP by resetting Modem... 5% Chance of getting an IP previously used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebills View Post
get a dongle with giffgaff

never had one before... not clued up on them

are they straight forward / easy to understand and how much etc?

thx
Old 11-24-2014

Activity: 6%
Longevity: 90%

Even with a dongle you will get ips that could be used previously by others.
So no different unless you get an isp with a Static IP but then that can only be used for 1 account.
Old 11-24-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlaces View Post
Even with a dongle you will get ips that could be used previously by others.
So no different unless you get an isp with a Static IP but then that can only be used for 1 account.

thx, that was gonna be my next question

so if I went with a new broadband provider, and somehow I got an IP from them that was used by another customer of theirs who had been Banned by ebay, then I use that IP = I get banned!?

surely ebay must make exceptions for this if it can happen that easily?
Old 11-24-2014

I think yes if it is a Static IP which has been used previously by a banned ebay paypal user. You would have to ask them if they give you a fresh unused ip, yet again it will only limit your use on 1 ebay/pp account.
If you do use this route I would only test it with a brand new account, not aged or stealth incase you lose it.
As far as I am aware only BT offer dynamic ips which change by rebooting the router.
There are other options wheras you can get a VPN which will also issue you a fresh unused ip, again one ip per one account.
Old 11-24-2014
Threadstarter  

I'm not with BT but I do have dynamic IP that changes everytime I reboot modem...
Old 11-24-2014

How recent did you lose your stealths?
Was it within last few weeks, as stealth accounts are dropping lie flies for many.
I doubt it is the i.p and most likely due to new checks in place.
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/subscri...s-limited.html
Old 11-24-2014
Threadstarter  

Yes I lost them in last few weeks. No paypal restrictions.

What are the new "checks in place"
Old 11-24-2014

No one knows for certain yet but there is something new nor am i scaremongering.
Either electorol roll, credit history or the address has existing ebay/paypal user.
Subscribe to read it in depth.
Old 11-24-2014
Threadstarter  

I got a free subscribe code when I bought the guide, but can't locate in now in me emails etc.

After reading on here other day bout upcoming changes to paypal end of January, I already started thinking that they are doing some kind of 'new checks' on id/address

I'm a great believer that ebay constantly monitor/read these forums for info

And if you were to 'think how they would' then you might say that EVERY registered paypal acc that fails the 'auto id / credit check' and then has the photo i'd and recent bill uploaded as the 2nd option Screams out one thing to them..... Stealth??
Old 11-24-2014

Yes surely they have spies, they knew the system was bent perhaps thats why they are closing in on stealth now.
Paranoia does creep in also when it all goes wrong and that is what you are feeling. We all feeling the pain.
Old 11-24-2014
Threadstarter  

Goin back to the dynamic ip, if you look at the link below for plusnet,

From looking at the info given on the top of the table, would I be right to say that their home broadband comes with a dynamic ip as std, but it's not one that will change from resetting modem?

IP Block Allocation Policy
Old 11-24-2014

I would confirm with them for certain but looks like dynamic is for business users and not residential.
Old 11-24-2014
Threadstarter  

Thx mate, good job I googled them first for info on ip changing! I was all ready to put my order in with them, lol

Will sort me some "subscribed member" on here out soon as...
Old 11-24-2014

Your welcome, we all here to help each other succeed
Old 11-25-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnquango View Post
thx, that was gonna be my next question

so if I went with a new broadband provider, and somehow I got an IP from them that was used by another customer of theirs who had been Banned by ebay, then I use that IP = I get banned!?

surely ebay must make exceptions for this if it can happen that easily?
Not usually going to happen.

Would have to be more issues with the account for a blanket killing of the account.

All going to depend on different factors, of course.

Old 11-25-2014

Longevity: 77%

When checking my IPs before launching into a new account, I used to use BT for the net to make stealths, I moved over to a dongle for ease of use. It is a good job I thoroughly check ALL IPs as the dongle has actually had many of the same IPs as the home internet.

Bit of food for though for you.
Old 11-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
When checking my IPs before launching into a new account, I used to use BT for the net to make stealths, I moved over to a dongle for ease of use. It is a good job I thoroughly check ALL IPs as the dongle has actually had many of the same IPs as the home internet.

Could you be getting the same ips from bt and your dongle because of the same location?
Old 11-25-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Could you be getting the same ips from bt and your dongle because of the same location?
More likely based on provider, no?
Old 11-26-2014

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post

What Dongle are you using
Old 11-26-2014

Longevity: 68%

Quote:
I would confirm with them for certain but looks like dynamic is for business users and not residential.
I've been with Plusnet for 3 years. It's a private account and I have had no problem with changing the IP address by switching the modem on and off. I use the very useful excel system to confirm the changes and have experienced no repeats.