12 months later and still trapped. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal > UK PayPal Talk

UK PayPal Talk General issues related to UK Paypal

Old 11-20-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 19%
Default 12 months later and still trapped.

Hi,

I had been using Paypal for the usual web / eBay transactions for over a decade.
Last year the EU and UK decided that anyone recieving 2.5k+ in their Paypal account must be up to no good.

Paypal demanded ID so I sent them my CC and Bank statment. It wasn't good enough and they demanded my Passport. I resisted. Not even my credit card or bank asks for this and I pointed this out to them. They weren't having any of it, the tone in their email's were becoming more irate as I resisted. To piss them off further I sent my passport with most details apart from my signature blanked out because I value what privacy I have left in the digital world. That was the last straw, my account was limited with a demand to upload my passport. Some may say it's my own fault. I disagree.

12 months have passed. In those 12 months I have emailed asking for my account to be closed only to be given generic responses. I was lucky, before my account was limited I withdrew all monies leaving only a few pennies.

What really makes my blood boil is the fact that all large(ish) transactions were from me selling what I'd purchased on eBay 12 months prior. I'm not a business nor a criminal but I've had the cuffs slapped on me for upsetting the pre-crime algorithm.

Paypals new user agreement arrived in my email a month ago. It says if I don't agree with their new T&C's I can close my account right away. I disagreed with it and followed the link thinking I could close my account, nope. I'm still on the naughty step until I give in and hand over my first born.
I emailed Paypal again and made it clear that they were breaking their own terms by not allowing me to close my account. Today I got another generic response saying it was being dealth with.
I think we all know this is BS. 16th of DEC is the when the new rules come into effect.
Even lodging an official complaint had no effect. I'm trapped in Paypal land and can't get out, for now at least.

If I can't close my account when the new rules come into effect I might have to change my bank account and my credit cards. It'll be the only way to escape. For those who need Paypal and have had similar happen I feel for you. I don't need their services yet they keep me trapped in their web.

Last edited by PaypalAteMyHamster; 11-20-2020 at 10:40 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-20-2020

Longevity: 51%
Default Re: 12 months later and still trapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaypalAteMyHamster View Post
I had been using Paypal for the usual web / eBay transactions for over a decade.
Last year the EU and UK decided that anyone recieving 2.5k+ in their Paypal account must be up to no good.
That has been a thing for about 10 years now. If not longer

Quote:
Paypal demanded ID so I sent them my CC and Bank statment. It wasn't good enough and they demanded my Passport. I resisted. Not even my credit card or bank asks for this and I pointed this out to them. They weren't having any of it, the tone in their email's were becoming more irate as I resisted. To piss them off further I sent my passport with most details apart from my signature blanked out because I value what privacy I have left in the digital world. That was the last straw, my account was limited with a demand to upload my passport. Some may say it's my own fault. I disagree.
Banks and CC companies will need ID a lot of the time when opening an account if there is an issue with a credit check.

Its pretty standard to send PP your passport and has been for a aged.

Quote:
12 months have passed. In those 12 months I have emailed asking for my account to be closed only to be given generic responses. I was lucky, before my account was limited I withdrew all monies leaving only a few pennies.
If you put your balance to 0 then you can close the account through the settings (although I am not if that works with a limiation)

Quote:
What really makes my blood boil is the fact that all large(ish) transactions were from me selling what I'd purchased on eBay 12 months prior. I'm not a business nor a criminal but I've had the cuffs slapped on me for upsetting the pre-crime algorithm.
Its just the EU law.

Honestly I am not sure why you are being so awkward? Most people would love to still have their original PayPal

If your not usign the account why do you need it to be also closed? Just put it to one side and forget about it. Its not like them closing your account will be the same as them deleting all your details.
Old 11-20-2020

Activity: 13%
Longevity: 41%

Do you really think you live off grid ? None of us have any privacy.

Your smart phone probably has the microphone enabled with google saving everything it hears on a massive server buried in the mountains somewhere.

It's impossible to live off grid or have privacy in a 1st world country.
Old 11-20-2020

Longevity: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_112233 View Post
Your smart phone probably has the microphone enabled with google saving everything it hears on a massive server buried in the mountains somewhere.
Hoping that is sarcasm... fearing it may not be though.
Old 11-20-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamzam View Post
Banks and CC companies will need ID a lot of the time when opening an account if there is an issue with a credit check.
Credit check????

Quote:
Its pretty standard to send PP your passport and has been for a aged.
No it hasn't. It was only applied last year.

Quote:
If you put your balance to 0 then you can close the account through the settings (although I am not if that works with a limiation)
I can't. I'm locked out.

Quote:
Its just the EU law.
No kidding. And it's a shame many have been caught up in the dragnet. Law abiding citizens and all that.

Quote:
Honestly I am not sure why you are being so awkward? Most people would love to still have their original PayPal
Because I don't trust Paypal and my personal data.
Have you not been reading about what happens to that data?

Quote:
If your not usign the account why do you need it to be also closed? Just put it to one side and forget about it. Its not like them closing your account will be the same as them deleting all your details.
Because I get emails from them as If I'm stil allowed to use the account.
Old 11-20-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Do you really think you live off grid ? None of us have any privacy.
Who said anything about living off grid.
I value what little privacy I have. So should you.

Quote:
I don't have a phone. (Truth)

Quote:
It's impossible to live off grid or have privacy in a 1st world country.
See my first reply.
Old 11-20-2020
Threadstarter  

That's all folks
Old 11-20-2020
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaypalAteMyHamster View Post
No it hasn't. It was only applied last year.
EU receiving limits has 100% been around for a lot longer than 1 year.

Just give them your ID and close the account or forget about the account

There are more important thing to do worry about in life these days, I just dont see the issue here
Old 11-22-2020

Thanked 1,108 Times in 1,044 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

OP said he finally submitted his passport with his name blacked out,why?
if he has submitted other documents like bank statements and cc,his name should be there,so why hide the passport name?unless it is different?
as for closing the account with only a few pennies left in it,if OP cannot do so,it could be because of his past activities,there may be chargebacks from his buyers.
and Paypal wants to keep it open with his bank account and cc linked.
OP can always close his bank account and his credit card.
Old 02-01-2021

Longevity: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
EU receiving limits has 100% been around for a lot longer than 1 year.

Just give them your ID and close the account or forget about the account

There are more important thing to do worry about in life these days, I just dont see the issue here
Lost my account so back here under MKII.

They came under the new money laundering laws so I doubt that.

I recently did since they added insert passport details to their personal info page on my account.

The issue is being locked out of my account and being placed on the naughty list.
Of course it has a long code which no one on the WWW can understand. The code could mean this person is a @******e, ingnore, for all I know.

Still not getting anywhere with them despite all the messages.
Old 02-01-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaypalAteMyHamsterII View Post
Lost my account so back here under MKII.

They came under the new money laundering laws so I doubt that.

I recently did since they added insert passport details to their personal info page on my account.

The issue is being locked out of my account and being placed on the naughty list.
Of course it has a long code which no one on the WWW can understand. The code could mean this person is a @******e, ingnore, for all I know.

Still not getting anywhere with them despite all the messages.
You might want to look at a little bit historic posts on the forum because EU limits have been talked about the entire time I have been here and many years before... there’s no point arguing that they’ve only come about in the first year because that is simply not true.

Why don’t you just give PayPal a ring and find out exactly what they need from you and provide it then it’s job done

But if they ask for your passport blanking out all the details on your passport makes it a bit redundant.
Old 02-01-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
if he has submitted other documents like bank statements and cc,his name should be there,so why hide the passport name?unless it is different?
as for closing the account with only a few pennies left in it,if OP cannot do so,it could be because of his past activities,there may be chargebacks from his buyers.
and Paypal wants to keep it open with his bank account and cc linked.
OP can always close his bank account and his credit card.
Sorry my name wasn't blanked out, my passport details minus a few numbers were.

No chargeback or complaints from eBay buyers / sellers.

It's looking like I will have to close my bank account as this has gone on for far to long.
This isn't new, just read the mountain of complaints on PP forums saying the same thing.

I feel for those bounced from PP for a supposed infringement they know nothing about.
A few of PP's phone line work but won't be answered for locked accounts.

Welcome to the new world of 'People Rule'
Old 02-01-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
You might want to look at a little bit historic posts on the forum because EU limits have been talked about the entire time I have been here and many years before... there’s no point arguing that they’ve only come about in the first year because that is simply not true.

Why don’t you just give PayPal a ring and find out exactly what they need from you and provide it then it’s job done

But if they ask for your passport blanking out all the details on your passport makes it a bit redundant.
OK I hear you, I didn't look. But I'm saying I've never heard of those regulations I until recenly had them forced upon me.

You can't phone PP for restrictons. I tried several times. They simply won't answer those queries. Recently I read of one girl having a mad Irishman from PP yell 'We don't want your business" down the phone. Nice.......

They now have my passpert details minus the picture. I uploaded it on my account details page.

Listen, I've done nothing wrong here.
Jeez, can't even sell my unwanted items on eBay or buy regular stuff as you would at a store without being treated as if I might just commit a crime. Can you see where this Dystopian AI future is heading? I can.
Old 02-04-2021
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post

I bumped this....

Maybe the hamsters have had an affect.

Might be dyslexic. Rejoined as Hamster11 and still.... well still quite an unhappy one.

Last edited by GreenBean; 02-04-2021 at 04:35 AM.