Warning - uk court case gives buyers longer to bring credit card claims - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal > UK PayPal Talk

UK PayPal Talk General issues related to UK Paypal

Old 03-02-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 86%
Default Warning - uk court case gives buyers longer to bring credit card claims

This posting only applied to the UK.

I was sent this alert by the Consumer Action Group of which I am a member

The CAG is a very powerful group which deals with all kinds of consumer affairs and has lawyers and some very erudite members who give their time free to help with problems (much like this forum)

This ruling could open the door for more lengthy claims via CC companies if the card was used via Paypal

----------------------------------------------------

CREDIT CARD users could be sitting on unclaimed millions of pounds following a County Court decision today that means consumers have more time to make a claim against their credit card company when a purchase has gone wrong.

QualitySolicitors Howlett Clarke, based in Brighton, has won a case for their client which means that consumers who used their credit card to pay for an item or service that later turned out to be misrepresented, for example, fraudulent, may have up to 6 yearsicon from when they notice the error inform their credit card company.

Until today’s decision, consumers only had 6 years from the purchase of the item or product to claim their money back from the credit card company. QualitySolicitors Howlett Clarke also secured interesticon for their client over the time lapsed.

Paul Tilley the QualitySolicitors Howlett Clarke lawyer involved in the case, said: “What this decision means is that there could be thousands of people out there who have purchased something on their credit card that was a misrepresented purchase – in our client’s case it was an investment that was fraudulent – but they are unaware that they can bring a claim against their credit card provider to recoup the money. The decision means that the 6 year clock to make their claim starts ticking from the point they notice the misrepresentation, not from the date they made the purchase.

“So someone who made a purchase more than 6 years ago, but today notices it was a misrepresented purchase may be able to make a claim against their credit card company as long as they inform the company of it. This applies equally where consumers have, for example, paid a deposit for an item using a credit card and paid the balance in cash or by cheque, such as transactions where a vehicle was purchased. While only the deposit is funded by the credit card, the full transaction price could potentially be recovered from the creditor.

“Few people realised before this case that credit card companies are liable for such purchases. It is a protection that debit cards do not offer. Credit cards just became even better with this case. People may have more time to check their credit card statements to see if there are any purchases that turned out badly. They could be able to get that money back with interest. With the spectre of Christmas debt preying on people’s minds there might be some respite from a purchase gone wrong hidden in a credit card statement somewhere.

Full judgment here:
Mal'ouf v MBNA Europe Bank Ltd (t/a Abbey Cards) [2014] EW Misc 1 (CC) (27 January 2014)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biglouis999 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (03-02-2014), jeffweico (03-02-2014), Jigsaw (03-03-2014), oompaloompa (03-02-2014)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-02-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: Warning - uk court case gives buyers longer to bring credit card claims

Thanks biglouis999 - always an interesting read...6 years...
Old 03-02-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: Warning - uk court case gives buyers longer to bring credit card claims

Wonder what workaround paypal will find?

How many UK banks will take their credit card sections off-shore?

Changin' times again

Old 03-02-2014
Executive [VIP]

BTW, I was more concerned about the rogue trader giving away banking info.....

Reminded me of lllloyds

Old 03-02-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

SIX YEARS????

Gee, that TV I bought back in 2007 doesn't work anymore. Probably not because I dropped it when I moved, it must have been misrepresented. I think I'll charge it back...

Wow, I didn't realize that get-rich-quick stock plan I funded with my credit card in 2008 was fraudulent - until now, because I'm a complete moron... I think I'll get my money back!

I am a big believer in consumer protection laws, but what merchant in their right mind will accept credit cards with a chargeback window of SIX YEARS???? This is completely ridiculous!

Last edited by jeffweico; 03-02-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

How about that bag of stale cat food too?????

This may go to appeal in the UK.

Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

How about that hair transplant that did not work on me. I want my money back.

Since credit cards are international, I wonder if these types of cases or maybe new laws in the future might head over to the US. All credit cards and banks are interwoven with one another around the world.
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

Six years is completely ridiculous. Once the warranty period expires on an item, such as a TV, that should be that. Nothing is designed to last forever.

I could see extending the time period in certain cases of fraud - like where the fraud artists found a way to delay consumer complaints until the chargeback period had expired or something. But to apply this in ALL cases is just begging for trouble.

If I were a merchant in the UK, I would be VERY hesitant to accept credit cards right now. In fact, I would probably see if there was a way I could accept debit cards only. To have a six year refund period hanging over your head is unreasonable.

And Greenie, there ARE NO stale bags of cat food in my house. Only human food that went stale because the cats required me to be their servant when I had the unmitigated gall to attempt to eat.
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
S

And Greenie, there ARE NO stale bags of cat food in my house. Only human food that went stale because the cats required me to be their servant when I had the unmitigated gall to attempt to eat.
Jeff, your home at least has food. Ours has only food for the animals. can not get used to dry kibble.

Maybe it is stale so I can use meh card for a chargeback.

On a serious note, I would think there might be an appeal. Forum in question is pretty quiet about the judgement.

Waiting times
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
rsot (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

The girl's shirt is the key factor in that comic
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
The girl's shirt is the key factor in that comic
I dont get it?
The Following User Says Thank You to yotano211 For This Useful Post:
Callidus (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014
Threadstarter  

You dont get it?

Well that UK buyer who bought a branded or vero item from you X years ago may have only just "noticed" that it did not have the correct kind of stitching as the Paris model (even though the Paris model may have switched their production to China in the meantime) so s/he can bring a claim against the hapless seller if s/he used a cc to fund an EB purchase (or a website purchase elsewhere).

You can be sure than no party will trouble to investigate that production methods altered in the last X years and you will be right royally screwed.

Of course if you are in the UK you can claim the refund as a taxable allowance against profits and a legitimate business expense (not sure how US law works in this case) but it still feels like you have been screwed over.

Fortunately for us - buyers (as a species) dont tend to do their research and by my standards are barely literate so dont know about this.
Old 03-03-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglouis999 View Post
You dont get it?

Not that at all......

Users could not understand rsot's comments about the colour of the blouse.

Old 03-03-2014

Longevity: 75%

Why do you think this ruling came in to place, would be good to hear your opinions.
Old 03-04-2014
Threadstarter  

I believe this ruling is following in the wake of several mis-selling scandals in the UK where consumers were sold financial products which were not suitable for them. Many of these products were sold at a time when the consumer was not looking to buy something and had maybe just called their bank or cc provider to activate a credit card or take out a loan. The product was sort of "pushed" onto them.

Now many consumers are claiming back their fees plus interest and the banks have been forced to put aside millions of pounds to compensate people.

There is now an emphasis on consumers being given an opportunity to ask questions to ensure that the product or service they are considering or have purchased is exactly what they need and to obtain redress if it isnt.

There used to be a 6 year limit on claiming back on these financial products but now there is a loophole whereby people can say "Well I did not know I had one of these policies as part of my package and I have ONLY JUST BECOME AWARE of it." So the claims can now extend back longer than 6 years.

Once this has been accepted as a precedent it follows that people can also claim that they bought a faulty product but "did not realise" they could do anything about it in the intervening years.

Last edited by biglouis999; 03-04-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

@biglouis999

Any news or hints of appeal?