Apple iPhone eBay app, turned off Wi-Fi when using stealth - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 08-22-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Apple iPhone eBay app, turned off Wi-Fi when using stealth

Okay I know this question has been posted many times. I know that greenbean has been upset at the same questions, but this is not exactly the same question. First off I have not created any stealth account yet. I just got a restriction on my account to sell on one of the categories. I do have an eBay and PayPal account linked. Those accounts have been there for a long time. I actually have two PayPal and 2 eBay accounts. EBay knows both of them are linked. One was made in 2001 and the other one was made in 2005. I use one as a buyer and the other as a seller account. That way if I want to buy something, I don't want to receive positive feedback from a seller on my seller account. But that is besides the point.

What I want to know is, If I simply just turn off Wi-Fi on my iPhone, And proceed to log onto my stealth account through a regular home Internet connection on a dedicated stealth computer with a different IP address, do my thing and then revert back to the old IP address where my old personal good accounts were logged into before, Turn back on Wi-Fi on my iPhone with the old IP address, I should be safe correct?

I know you guys tell us to stay away from apps religiously, but I just want to know if this would be safe? I mean, technically, it should never link correct? Or am I missing a step?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-22-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 68%

Quote:
I know that greenbean has been upset at the same questions
GreenBean is very nice, she won't be upset ;-), but only if it's not a similar question.

Quote:
but this is not exactly the same question
Yes this question is exactly the same as every other question about the eBay app. GB won't be happy!

Quote:
What I want to know is, If I simply just turn off Wi-Fi on my iPhone

You can't just turn of wifi and think ebay is only looking at your IP address when you use their app. Don't believe me? Why not read the privacy agreement you accepted when you installed it?

Oh didn't read it? You pretty much signed your ebay life away as soon as it got installed. This is why everyone on the forum says to 'religiously' stay away from it.

Read what I wrote in this post...

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/cookies...tml#post478881

Or what MM78 posted...

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-su...tml#post461137

...his is nice and pretty.
Old 08-22-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Default Thanks for the kind reply...

And I have read those links that you provided me. However, I am just trying to understand how the eBay app could technically get your information using the above method.

Think about it. If you turn off your Wi-Fi and you are connected to the cellular LTE network with your iphone, Then eBay app would be tracking you through the cellular network am I correct? It would be tracking you with the accounts that I have been on since 2001 through the lte network. If I were to make a stealth account, I would use a dedicated computer.

Turn off all my other computers. Change the IP address, Use the dedicated computer to log onto stealth account. All of this is during when you turned off your Wi-Fi on your iPhone. You have one dedicated computer for stealth accounts. This dedicated computer is connected with your home Internet connection. You do your thing, revert back to your original IP address then turn back on your wifi on your iphone.

Shouldn't be able to track you right? Are there any horror stories with this scenario? Has anyone been caught doing this? I wouldn't be able to understand how eBay can track you doing this, unless I missed something.
Old 08-22-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 95%

I plan on doing the samething, the things I sell I typically get off ebay so having the app is essential for me for bidding purposes...I can bid at work. I do have the GV and Text+ app to which I haven't used yet so after reading those other posts I will probably not use them then install them on my wife's phone.

I was planning on doing the same as you..turning off wifi for good and turning it on when needed.
Old 08-23-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Lets say your iphone is dedicated to all your legit accounts. The iphone is never going to be used to connect to your stealth accounts whatsoever.

You have one dedicated computer for all stealth, just like in the stealth ebook. You can create multiple users in that dedicated stealth computer to allow cookies and flash to be built up on each stealth user account.

Then when you are done, you revert back to your original ip so you can get back on to your legit accounts, outside of your dedicated stealth computer.

The only way I can think of eBay app being able to track you is if they access your wifi even though your wifi is off.

Like an unauthorized access to turn on your wifi. That could be a problem.
Old 08-23-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 64%

In theory what you have said makes sense and would be correct, if you had a dedicated iPhone with the eBay app and only ever used it to log on to the celluar network with one account then it would be safe.

However if your wifi was used for other accounts (stealth) then I wouldn't run the risk as you could forget to switch off your wifi or your phone could connect to a public wifi which could have been used in the past and is blocked.

Dont forget iPhones and such like smartphones are mini computer with their own cookies and cache which are also used by the app to trace you.

so its just not about the ip address and wifi you can still be linked over cellular if you used the app previously for other accounts.
Old 08-23-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Oh don't worry, Ebay app knows who I am, hands down. I have been trading with my buyer's, seller's and even my friend's account for the last 3 months.

They know all 3 accounts, and those accounts are the legit accounts. My seller's account, the legit is from 2005.

All I am saying is that if you promise yourself to log in to stealth accounts using from only ONE, and no other computer, completely dedicated computer for stealth only computer, and turn off your wifi on your iphone while you are logged into that one computer <---(this one is connected to your home network after a changed ip), then theoretically, that app cannot make the connections between the stealth and the iphone right?

The thing is, I have to use the ebay app for bidding etc.

I really don't see how the ebay app can link you in this scenario.

Unless what I said eariler, the ebay app tapping into your wifi without your permission.
Old 08-23-2013
Executive [VIP]

Ultimately the decision is yours. There is no need to convince anyone. We all have our opinions of the ebay app and why to avoid it.

If you are going to use it in the method you suggest, it should work. However, keep in mind that ebay waits patiently for you to slip up and the moment you do, you risk the loss of your selling account.

Our advice is to always err on the side of caution, which is why many of us say to stay far, far away from the ebay app. Again, the decision is yours & yours alone.

You've made your case, tread carefully and best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to An0nym0u$ For This Useful Post:
glacier922 (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Lol, I wasn't trying to convince anyone, though I do hope my messages may help someone in the future.

I am more curious as to why this particular matter carries more weight than the other precautions.

Think of it this way, lets say to be the perfect stealthy account holder, you need to take 20 steps without our iphone apps.

Lets turning off the iPhone is one extra step making it 21 steps.

Does that one step carry more weight than the others? As you can see I am trying to be VERY cautious. TIA
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

@glacier922...I've read some of your other posts and it is refreshing to see you do so much homework first before taking the plunge.

The ebay app is very powerful & has caused many stealths to go awry. Most people don't take such precautions as you.

As mentioned in post #2, the privacy agreement tells you all you need to know. They watch everything...all I'm saying is be careful when using it.
The Following User Says Thank You to An0nym0u$ For This Useful Post:
glacier922 (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013

Longevity: 65%

This is really a bad, bad, bad idea. One of the ventures I'm involved with is writing apps for iphones. You'd be SHOCKED at the amount of information apple gets to see. For example, did you know everything you ever say to Siri is recorded and saved by apple?

That iphone is not like a computer. Apple tracks everything you do. They do that to sell you more stuff, but still, when it comes to not being linked, iphone shouldn't be in your hardware selection.

How do you sell from that thing anyway?
The Following User Says Thank You to Furious George For This Useful Post:
glacier922 (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

How do I sell from that thing? Well, I have 2 legit accts that eBay already knows completely. I was suspended from this accts for a week like 5 years ago for shill bidding.

That was the moment I actually came on to these forums actually. Learned my lessons to never do it again. Some of my inventory comes from my buying acct and then I sell it on my seller's acct. I need to bid for those items without hesitation. That's what the app was so good for.

I didn't have to be at my computer. I guess based on the fears everyone has at the forums is that the eBay app can determine you even if you turned off wifi or go into airplane mode.

It is a very real possibility which is why I asked this question in such great detail. I'm just trying to determine how that app would know any stealth accts if I turned off wifi during my stealthy activities.

I am going to delete it before I create one after changing my IP address. TIA
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Why can't you sell from your home/Laptop PC? why are people determined to use the app?
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
Why can't you sell from your home/Laptop PC? why are people determined to use the app?
Because when I want to bid for items that is part of my inventory it is much more convenient. Don't get me wrong , I have 1 legit buying account that I don't mind eBay knowing about. They already do.

About the bidding, some sellers have a predetermined time for auctions. I can't really be stuck in the house 24/7 anticipating where my next inventory may come from. Also, lets say an auction is going to end while I'm sleeping. It's much more convenient for the app because I just set my alarm clock for that 1 minute and then just go to sleep. But yea, you can do another way.

Of course I could just bid through the browser on my legit accounts. I would never ever do anything stealth with my iphone, all legit stuff if. There is too many ways for the iPhone to give up your information.
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Why not use a sniping tool for bidding?
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I can't really be stuck in the house 24/7 anticipating where my next inventory may come from.
If you depend on Ebay for your inventory....you must like playing with fire.
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Lol. Why's that? Possibly slipping?
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0u$ View Post
Why not use a sniping tool for bidding?
Are those safe? I was always concerned that those could be spyware.
Old 08-25-2013

Longevity: 65%
Send a message via Skype™ to AuctionsDenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacier922 View Post
About the bidding, some sellers have a predetermined time for auctions. I can't really be stuck in the house 24/7 anticipating where my next inventory may come from.
So you are bidding for your inventory?
Old 08-25-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuctionsDenied View Post
So you a bidding for your inventory?
It would seem that way...
Old 08-26-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 95%

Haha ya I guess, I repair things....best place to buy broken **** is ebay.

Quote: