Taking Amazon to Arbitration - Page 3 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 01-23-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 30%
Default Re: Taking Amazon to Arbitration

dan_ebay,

I agree. A lot of what is included in their agreement is arguably unenforceable on the grounds that it is unconscionable or Amazon's commitment is illusory. However, I think courts are inclined to enforce the arbitration clause, which means your case will likely be dismissed if you file in a local court that would otherwise have jurisdiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_ebay View Post
Most of that is irrelevant because the law> Amazon T&C's.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-23-2019

Longevity: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3guaposoy View Post
This is the firm I used:

Wood Edwards LLP
1700 Pacific Avenue, Suite 2280
Dallas, TX 75201
Phone: 214-382-9789

When asked Amazon for evidence I sold fofo items they failed to provide. So arbitration was decided in my favor.

No higher court.
Thank you for the information
Old 04-08-2019

Longevity: 35%

Quote:
This is the firm I used:

Wood Edwards LLP
Dallas, TX 75201

When asked Amazon for evidence I sold fofo items they failed to provide. So arbitration was decided in my favor.

No higher court.
Thank you, Just contacted them. Hope I can get my money from stealth account.
The Following User Says Thank You to r57alucar For This Useful Post:
asot34 (10-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019

Longevity: 28%

Very glad i just came across this discussion, Im new here today and was definitely considering taking them to court, or sending a legal letter, A few more steps to take first i believe
Old 05-01-2019

Longevity: 71%
Exclamation Re: Taking Amazon to Arbitration

Quote:
This is the firm I used:

Wood Edwards LLP
Dallas, TX 75201

No higher court.
Is this company dealing only with US accounts? Or EU as well? I’m currently trying to get my monies from UK account but no luck.. Anyone have experience with successful legal letters or arbitration for european marketplaces? I’m thinking of a good legal letter before possible arbitration.. or arbitration is the only way? Can you PLEASE give more information? Please PM me for some reason i can’t send private messages myself.. thank you...
Old 05-01-2019
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 72%

Arbitration is the last resort. Before hand i would send a solid letter to amazon payments and see if you get any result

good luck
Old 05-01-2019

Longevity: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Arbitration is the last resort. Before hand i would send a solid letter to amazon payments and see if you get any result

good luck
Thank you for your reply, looking for a good solicitor who can help me with this letter.. anybody can suggest someone please?
Old 05-01-2019
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 72%

firstly, as i said i would appeal the release of funds, if that fails or you can afford a lawyer/attorney, then go down the arbitration route
I have some people i can recommend for US, but for UK none of which i would want to recommend
Old 07-19-2019

Longevity: 46%

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions posted here.

We are in a dog fight with Amazon since March this year. Rather it's a one-sided tussle so far.

They gated us for a certain sub-category (classified as popular products) of a commodity on our account, resulting in about 90 of our active listings getting gated, in addition to inability to list many other potential products.

All our inventory is sourced through the manufacturers and/or their authorized distributors. Amazon never bothered to ask for proof of sourcing anytime, and simply took this action at their whims and fancies. Since then, we have written countless emails to Seller Performance, Jeff B, Amazon's Legal team soliciting answers, explanation and even providing our purchase invoices. Jeff B and Legal don't reply. Seller Performance intentionally deflects our emails to Seller Support within a few hours, who obviously have no hold on this matter.

Move forward to July 2019, they figured another way to restrict more of our listings, bluntly giving the reason "This product has other listing limitations" for all of such gated products. Since July 11, I have seen more than 100 of our active listings being restricted, in addition to at least 400 of our inactive listings. Yet again, they do this without providing any notice, and more of our active listings continue to get stranded overnight.

We virtually have no hold over what we can list or replenish anymore! I wrote to SP Team and others again about 3 days ago. No response so far, yet no deflection to Seller Support either.

In essence, we are having more than $40k worth of our inventory stranded as of now. This despite our account having 100% feedback rating with over 1600 positive feedbacks in last 4 years.

We are contemplating taking a legal channel to solicit a response from these monsters, and see how they can fix this. Their actions clearly imply partiality towards certain sellers, and the lack of response from the concerned team i.e. Seller Performance shows they had no valid reason to gate us.

Advice is appreciated.

Last edited by jainy25; 07-19-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-19-2019

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 89%
Longevity: 33%

it would help if you tell us what are your or were you selling?
Old 07-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
it would help if you tell us what are your or were you selling?
It's mostly media (books).

And I know none of the publishers have told Amazon to gate us or anything. Because as per the US Supreme Court ruling, they cannot stop any individual/media seller to stop their products as long as they are legitimate copies procured through legitimate sources.

The pattern of gating certainly doesn't suggest that any publisher told Amazon to target us or anything like that.

Last edited by jainy25; 07-20-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2019

Longevity: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jainy25 View Post
It's mostly media (books).

And I know none of the publishers have told Amazon to gate us or anything. Because as per the US Supreme Court ruling, they cannot stop any individual/media seller to stop their products as long as they are legitimate copies procured through legitimate sources.

The pattern of gating certainly doesn't suggest that any publisher told Amazon to target us or anything like that.
It's honestly only going to get worse and worse from here on out.
Old 07-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkron View Post
It's honestly only going to get worse and worse from here on out.
Going to get worse in what sense? What I do observe is that Amazon has been shaving off offers from books this month, especially those in New. Like there were several products having 40+ sellers, now halved to 20 offers or even lower.

If this is not anti-trust and monopolistic behaviour, then what is?
Old 07-20-2019

are they digital or physical books?
I have been selling books on AMZN as long as I remember,never run into any problem.
what kind of books are they?
Were the printed in USA or overseas and meant to be sold overseas?
There was a Thai student who sold text books printed and meant for overseas market but he was selling them on Ebay,his family bought and shipped the books to USA,he is a grad student in university.
Old 07-20-2019

Quote:
are they digital or physical books?
I have been selling books on AMZN as long as I remember,never run into any problem.
what kind of books are they?
Were the printed in USA or overseas and meant to be sold overseas?
- Physical books. You can't sell digital books on Amazon, eh? They are mostly academic books - reference, textbooks, encyclopedias, etc.
- Printing depends on the publisher. Some publishers get it printed in USA. Some do it overseas.
- No regional restriction. Can be sold anywhere.

Quote:
There was a Thai student who sold text books printed and meant for overseas market but he was selling them on Ebay,his family bought and shipped the books to USA,he is a grad student in university.
- Yes! We are aware of that case that went against Wiley. Which is why I believe that Amazon did this gating on it's own, and had no backing from any publisher (at least not officially). If they are dragged into court/arbitration, and it turns out the publisher(s) were involved with restricting their listings without any valid suspicion or proof, they will be royally screwed.

Our sourcing is both domestic and international, like all the other sellers. The frustrating part is I still see some of the sellers having the same source as ours selling their wares without any objection.

Last edited by jainy25; 07-21-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2019

This is a problem with sellers who rely mostly on venues like AMZN or Ebay to sell their products.
There must be a reason why,instead of emailing ,have you tried to call them?
Could the reason be your account,not your books?
I understand if some lawyer contacts a business,the business must respond.
Old 07-21-2019

Quote:
This is a problem with sellers who rely mostly on venues like AMZN or Ebay to sell their products.
There must be a reason why,instead of emailing ,have you tried to call them?
Could the reason be your account,not your books?
I understand if some lawyer contacts a business,the business must respond.
Well in case of books, is there any other venue other than Amazon? They easily take up at least 80% of the market share, leaving every other marketplace/book store collecting chump change.

Called already. Seller Support obviously has no hold as I said earlier. And they can't get anyone from Seller Performance on phone.

Our ODR is 0.01%, no IP violations, over 1000 positive feedback in last 365 days, with the feedback rating being a perfect 100%. What more could we do?

As much as I want to avoid getting into legal mess, I can't seem to figure out anything else at the moment.

Oh, btw, since you sell books yourself, do you recall that Amazon was seeking identification information from textbook sellers last year? You must have got that email too? We got it, submitted and never heard back from the SIV team. I suspect that could have been the reason too. But I did confirm from Seller Support, and they said our docs were approved successfully.
Old 07-21-2019

I did not get any email from AMZN,I dont sell textbooks,they are mostly books on collectibles and antiques,some used dvds,I dont get much sale .
but what about Ebay,you can sell books on Ebay.I have bought some for my own personal reading pleasure!
Ebay used to have a book site called HALF.COM.
There is a large book site,off hand cant recall its name,many booksellers sign up and sell there,then it signed up with AMZN and the listings are now visible on both its site and AMZN,may be you can sign up with them.
I will try to find the name of the site

Last edited by agent006140; 07-21-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2019

abebook.com will buy your textbooks,or you can sell on their site.
Another one is Barnes and Noble,it has a website too.
There are still folks who go to Barnes and Noble bookstore,to buy books,to have a cup of coffee from Starbuck,my brother used to go there and read their newspaper and drink tons of coffee.

Last edited by agent006140; 07-21-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2019

Quote:
I did not get any email from AMZN,I dont sell textbooks,they are mostly books on collectibles and antiques,some used dvds,I dont get much sale .
but what about Ebay,you can sell books on Ebay.I have bought some for my own personal reading pleasure!
Ebay used to have a book site called HALF.COM.
There is a large book site,off hand cant recall its name,many booksellers sign up and sell there,then it signed up with AMZN and the listings are now visible on both its site and AMZN,may be you can sign up with them.
I will try to find the name of the site
We have tried eBay. It's too much effort for too little sales. Like barely 2% of what we would get on Amazon.

We have literally worked our arses off in last 2 years to scale up this account. If it was a small volume thing, we would have moved on without much fuss.

Quote:
abebook.com will buy your textbooks,or you can sell on their site.
Another one is Barnes and Noble,it has a website too.
There are still folks who go to Barnes and Noble bookstore,to buy books,to have a cup of coffee from Starbuck,my brother used to go there and read their newspaper and drink tons of coffee.
Same thing with abebooks and BN. Very low sales. There is just not enough breathing space to sell books directly to B&N, Abebooks or even Amazon for that matter. Their terms are one-sided. Plus, I suppose these players would be dealing with publishers for their own purchases rather than buying from us.

As an academic bookseller, relying on these smaller platforms is like moving 20 steps back, or rather just shutting shop altogether.

I know our situation is very tricky, but we've got to take the fight.

Last edited by jainy25; 07-21-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2019

do you have any inkling at all why AMZN banned your account?
if it is not books,then could it be your account,do you ever have past dealing with AMZN?
did you try to find out why from AMZN seller forum?
Old 07-21-2019

It's not a suspension. It's a selective restriction on most of the good products. Well, you could say a virtual ban, given that this hits almost 75% of our business. I see 650 listings (active + inactive) in our inventory gated right now. And inability to list at least 7 out of 10 decently good books (BSR < 1,000,000).

They have been pretty hard on us, and I think booksellers in general since last year. We did have to deal with them once in June 2018, when they put a hold on our account for some 'Used Sold as New' complaints. We filed a clear appeal against all the 10 ASINs they mentioned in their notice, and the account was back and running in completely good health.

Then, there was that incident about Seller Vetting for booksellers that I mentioned above. Again, that seems resolved as acknowledged by Seller Support.

Barring that, there were two copyright infringement complaints in last 3 months. The publishers wiped off all sellers, including Amazon from the listing at once because of widespread counterfeit copies being circulated in the market. Both resolved in our favor as we submitted the proof of purchases from our distributors.

There is nothing more other than these that I could recall. There are occasional 'used sold like new' product condition customer complaints, that given our high volume is expected because that's how Amazon's bots run. But listings don't get taken down for that. Just a mark in Account Health's Policy Violation section. We appeal each time and get acknowledged by Seller Performance team for complying with their policies.

But I can assure you it is not a legitimate reason for restriction. We are selling about 250 orders/day. Have like 1 such complaint each month. Even if I were to count it in my ODR, it would still be 0.01%.

I have written on AMZ's seller forums too. They are all as clueless as me. Some sellers did get similar notice from Amazon as us on those 'Certain Popular Products' in Books Category being gated. In their case, they don't have any authorized sourcing proof, as most of them are used books sellers.

But we don't do that! All our inventory is at FBA warehouses, and all of them are in New condition. Which is why I find this denial/ignorance on part of Amazon very frustrating.

Last edited by jainy25; 07-21-2019 at 11:01 PM.