USA Exiting Universal Postal Union, How Will Affect Your Amazon Sales - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 05-28-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 35%
Default USA Exiting Universal Postal Union, How Will Affect Your Amazon Sales

President Trump proposed the US Postal Service to exit UPU by the end of 2019.

If the outcome is favorable and all shipping subsidies to China end, it means Chinese sellers will have to pay the same price for shipping as American sellers or even higher.

Personally I'd welcome that decision since my Amazon business will skyrocket.

I'm already making a decent income but how prepared are we if that happens?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 2%
Longevity: 68%
Default Re: USA Exiting Universal Postal Union, How Will Affect Your Amazon Sales

I don't see it changing much. Most of the Chinese sellers are using FBA. They are shipping to amazon with these heavily-Chinese-Subsidized shipping services like DHL, Fedex, & UPS. If the Chinese government really sees this hurting their industries, they will subsidize shipping even more.

Pretty much the same thing with ebay. They will just Ship to fulfillment centers here in the states via almost free DHL, Fedex, and UPS and then individual items will get shipped via first class.

So will the Chinese be paying more for shipping? Yes but it will be nominal. They will still flood the markets with their cheap garbage but will mark it up an extra $2-$3 more than it used to be. If you think that will cause your sales to skyrocket, then get prepared for launch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Futuremogul888 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (05-30-2019), yankee (05-31-2019)
Old 05-29-2019

Longevity: 28%
Default Re: USA Exiting Universal Postal Union, How Will Affect Your Amazon Sales

ebay on the other hand... my sales with skyrocket with chinese sellers not being able to ship cheap items for 99 cents shipping included
The Following User Says Thank You to slow For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3guaposoy View Post
President Trump proposed the US Postal Service to exit UPU by the end of 2019.

If the outcome is favorable and all shipping subsidies to China end, it means Chinese sellers will have to pay the same price for shipping as American sellers or even higher.

Personally I'd welcome that decision since my Amazon business will skyrocket.

I'm already making a decent income but how prepared are we if that happens?
where did you see it being proposed end of 2019? I cant find any information other than vague threats from Oct of last year.
Old 05-29-2019

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 89%
Longevity: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremogul888 View Post
I don't see it changing much. Most of the Chinese sellers are using FBA. They are shipping to amazon with these heavily-Chinese-Subsidized shipping services like DHL, Fedex, & UPS. If the Chinese government really sees this hurting their industries, they will subsidize shipping even more.

Pretty much the same thing with ebay. They will just Ship to fulfillment centers here in the states via almost free DHL, Fedex, and UPS and then individual items will get shipped via first class.

So will the Chinese be paying more for shipping? Yes but it will be nominal. They will still flood the markets with their cheap garbage but will mark it up an extra $2-$3 more than it used to be. If you think that will cause your sales to skyrocket, then get prepared for launch.
I beg to differ,every Chinese Ebay seller I bought from,shipped via China Post from China,same with Alibaba sellers.
I dont think they can afford FBA,as most Ebay Chinese sellers are small sellers asking 99 cents with free shipping,if they are using FBA in USA,they cant afford to charge so little-99 cents.
All the Alibaba sellers I bought from do their own shipping from China,but then I dont buy that much from Alibaba and when I do,it is not large quantity,may be some one can shed light on it.
As for AMZn Chinese sellers,I am not aware of too many Chinese sellers using AMZN FBA.
Small sellers cannot afford to do so,as it would all be in US$ and what is the exchange rate now,China $6.7 makes one US $.
May be big sellers like factories ,but then they will be competing with their US customers?
Old 05-29-2019

Having said that,so if they have to raised their shipping fee from China from zero to a few dollars,they can still compete well with the US counterparts.
if they sell an item for 99 cents,they pay may be 25 -50 cents for the item in China,but the US seller would have to pay more for the same item from his US supplier.
Old 05-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
Having said that,so if they have to raised their shipping fee from China from zero to a few dollars,they can still compete well with the US counterparts.
if they sell an item for 99 cents,they pay may be 25 -50 cents for the item in China,but the US seller would have to pay more for the same item from his US supplier.
no, atleast for my case, i would buy bulk from china supplier, usually shipping via DHL which is cheap if you buy in large qty. their only competitive edge was the cheap shipping. if we can normalize the cost to be ATLEAST the same, theres no way they can compete since my shipping would be 1-3 business days and theirs is 1-3 weeks.
Old 05-30-2019
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 35%

Quote:

Oh yeah, I just need them forced to go up $1.00 - $1.50 to make 10X more in sales and profits.
Old 05-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
no, atleast for my case, i would buy bulk from china supplier, usually shipping via DHL which is cheap if you buy in large qty. their only competitive edge was the cheap shipping. if we can normalize the cost to be ATLEAST the same, theres no way they can compete since my shipping would be 1-3 business days and theirs is 1-3 weeks.
but your shipping domestic USPS is 2.60-3.09 minimum,they can beat you on that,exchange rate is 1 US dollar= 6.7 Chinese dollar.
their competive advantage is more than cheap or free shipping,their item cost is a lot less than yours.you have to use DHL to ship you the goods and pay customs,they walk to the factory or street corner
Old 05-30-2019

factories sometimes will use their inventory as severance pay,or workers will get a discount buying from employer,sometimes they just steal or dumpster drive
Old 05-31-2019

Quote:
but your shipping domestic USPS is 2.60-3.09 minimum,they can beat you on that,exchange rate is 1 US dollar= 6.7 Chinese dollar.
their competive advantage is more than cheap or free shipping,their item cost is a lot less than yours.you have to use DHL to ship you the goods and pay customs,they walk to the factory or street corner
i think you are confused. it will be expensive for them to ship products from china to here.. its NOT going to cost them cheaper than us anymore... thats what trump was getting at...
Old 05-31-2019

I know what Trump wants to do,China is no longer a poor country and we should not subsidise them.
I am referring to the exchange rate of 1 US dollar to 6.7 Chinese dollar and it is getting better/worse with the tariff issues.
They sell on Ebay USA,they collect US $,and their goods and postage are in Chinese dollar,so they start charging for shipping,theirs would still be lower than yours.
Old 05-31-2019

Longevity: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3guaposoy View Post
Oh yeah, I just need them forced to go up $1.00 - $1.50 to make 10X more in sales and profits.
Agreed, any increase in costs of doing business against indirect competitors is a good thing. I'm actually really sick of having to sort search by US Only. No one wants to wait more than a week for something they can drive and go get.
Old 05-31-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

The big thing most people forget is $20-30 profit per day is a decent pay in China for most. Margins are very thin in china. They can be thinner and it would still be a decent days pay compared to most of us having to hit $200-300 a day to stay afloat.

My point being, there will always be cheap Chinese sellers because they can thrive on much less.
Old 05-31-2019

10 cents makes a big difference in placement in some categories.

AMZ buy box constantly undercuts by pennies

Last edited by Sunspot144; 05-31-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-31-2019

BEST IS not to compete with the Chinese sellers selling the same merchandise they are selling.
Old 05-31-2019

Quote:
BEST IS not to compete with the Chinese sellers selling the same merchandise they are selling.
What if they enter your category

Im seeing Chinese listings in categories they weren't in before on ebay. Just pages of the same cheap $hit no one wants drowning out local listings.
Old 05-31-2019

are their items similar or identical to yours????
Old 06-01-2019

Quote:
are their items similar or identical to yours????
Dunno, just a new observation. Could be nothing - could be more Chinese suppliers are deciding to sell direct and/or prefab products with the cheap parts/pieces they make there.
Old 06-02-2019
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%
Send a message via Skype™ to garry9061

Youve got to do what you can to stay away from the Chinese Sellers unfortunatley.
I do fully agree with Yankee however we all know that the chinese sellers are making alot more than 20-30$ a day
Old 06-04-2019

Longevity: 53%

Quote:

Personally I think your logic is wrong. Many many Chinese sellers do NOT ship from warehouses in the USA. Also since I buy a lot of products from Chinese factories and pay little or no shipping, without subsidies they will have to raise my price and then I pass through the raise to my listings or make less money.
Old 06-04-2019

I dont know why he keeps saying DHL,UPS,Fed Exp do not cost much,they are expensive for bulk shipment.
I have tried to save by having them shipped via ocean freight ,then train ,but once it arrived at the local customs office,I have to get a trucker to pick them up ,and it turns out to be no saving but more work,unless you can go to the depot,take them thru customs yourself and bring them back in a van with your friends .
And truck charges more on Saturday and different rates for going to airport and coming from airport .
Also Chinese do not use FBA .
Also in some cases,you need a custom broker to clear customs for you,some do it themselves.
DHL,UPS and Fed exp have offices near airports,they get listings of what is coming and prepare customs clearance papework,their customs brokers will take them thru customs ,it is actually cheaper for small shipment and there is also insurance to cover any damage

Last edited by agent006140; 06-04-2019 at 05:18 PM.