Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin? - eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe
     

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Making Money > CryptoCurrency

CryptoCurrency Discuss all CryptoCurrencies / coins and their use for personal or business purposes. Bitcoin (BTC) is possibly the best known but there are numerous crypto currencies, this is the forum to discuss them all.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-08-2018
lucy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 555
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
iTrader: (2)
Default Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

I bought 1 Ether for £750, can anyone tell me when the price of Ether rises, can I sell partial portion of Ether, for example

I bought at £750
Price rise to £1000

£1000-£750 = £250 profit

Could I go into Coinbase and bank that £250 profit but keep the original £750 Ether - like a partial sell of the profit OR do I have to sell the FULL coin?

Play, if your reading can you explain -
Reply With Quote
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

  #2  
Old 01-08-2018
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 86
Thanks: 20
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 22%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

You can either buy or sell partial units of coins
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2018
Play's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,649
Thanks: 1,072
Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,234 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 54%
iTrader: (37)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

Quote:
Play, if your reading can you explain -
Of course I can

First and foremost, bear in mind when you sell, coinbase will take a small cut. So it won't be an exact £250 profit.

If you head over to the sell section, click Ethereum, and in the monetary amount section type in £250.00 - it should calculate on its own how much of an ether that would be, and autofill it for you. It will look something like 0.024582 ETH.

All fees associated with this sale, etc. are displayed in a summary format to the right.

You just need to make sure you're happy with the sale, and click submit.

Done.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2018
lucy's Avatar
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 555
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
iTrader: (2)
Default

Ok, taking the above example

I bought at £750
Price rise to £1000

£1000-£750 = £250 profit

How do you work out how much to Coin to sell to bank that £250 profit?

Do you put the profit (£250) amount into the Coinbase sell box?box??




Quote:
Originally Posted by funnymacaco View Post
You can either buy or sell partial units of coins
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2018
Play's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,649
Thanks: 1,072
Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,234 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 54%
iTrader: (37)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
Do you put the profit (£250) amount into the Coinbase sell box?box??
Correct - it should then show on the other side of the box how much in Ethereum that is.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2018
lucy's Avatar
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 555
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
iTrader: (2)
Default

Thanks Play

So in theory by banking only the profit I still get to hold the original £750 Ether I bought. Keep repeating this process as in banking the profit made but keeping the original £750 Ether at its purchase price of £750.

Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
Of course I can

First and foremost, bear in mind when you sell, coinbase will take a small cut. So it won't be an exact £250 profit.

If you head over to the sell section, click Ethereum, and in the monetary amount section type in £250.00 - it should calculate on its own how much of an ether that would be, and autofill it for you. It will look something like 0.024582 ETH.

All fees associated with this sale, etc. are displayed in a summary format to the right.

You just need to make sure you're happy with the sale, and click submit.

Done.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2018
lucy's Avatar
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 555
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
iTrader: (2)
Default

I will give it a try later tonight, to sell the profit but keep the original £750. Will keep you updated.

Iíve read horror stories not sure if true, than sometimes Coinbase can Ďholdí your money and refuse let you withdraw to your bank, like PayPal time and time again?

To stop that happening would it make sense to buy a Ledger Hardware Walket, does it support all coins on Coinbase or just BitCoin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
Correct - it should then show on the other side of the box how much in Ethereum that is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2018
Play's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,649
Thanks: 1,072
Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,234 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 54%
iTrader: (37)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
Thanks Play

So in theory by banking only the profit I still get to hold the original £750 Ether I bought. Keep repeating this process as in banking the profit made but keeping the original £750 Ether at its purchase price of £750.

Is that correct?
You'll just end up with a lower and lower amount of Ethereum. But you won't be losing out on value, contingent upon the asset increasing in price. If that makes sense?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
rsot (01-08-2018)
  #9  
Old 01-08-2018
Play's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,649
Thanks: 1,072
Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,234 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 54%
iTrader: (37)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
I will give it a try later tonight, to sell the profit but keep the original £750. Will keep you updated.

Iíve read horror stories not sure if true, than sometimes Coinbase can Ďholdí your money and refuse let you withdraw to your bank, like PayPal time and time again?

To stop that happening would it make sense to buy a Ledger Hardware Walket, does it support all coins on Coinbase or just BitCoin?
If you're a small trader, I wouldn't bother with hardware wallets as you'd probably end up forgetting/losing pin, and losing your money altogether.

If you ever decide to go big, and start HODL'ing cryptos, then hardware wallets may be the best way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2018
lucy's Avatar
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 555
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
iTrader: (2)
Default

Little confused, I thought the original Ether at £750 would remain the same, if all I do is keep withdrawing the profit on that £750 and making sure the Ether remains at £750 all the time.

Example

£750 Ether buy price
£1000 Ether rise
Profit = £250
How will the original Ether at £750 go lower and lower if all I do is keep withdrawing any reasonable profit on that original £750.

After withdrawing in the example above, the Ether would go from £1000 back to the original buy price of £750. When this happens will the Ether once itís at original £750 buy price after withdrawing the profit in the above example, can it increase again as the Ether price rises?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
You'll just end up with a lower and lower amount of Ethereum. But you won't be losing out on value, contingent upon the asset increasing in price. If that makes sense?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2018
Play's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,649
Thanks: 1,072
Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,234 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 54%
iTrader: (37)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
Little confused, I thought the original Ether at £750 would remain the same, if all I do is keep withdrawing the profit on that £750 and making sure the Ether remains at £750 all the time.

Example

£750 Ether buy price
£1000 Ether rise
Profit = £250
How will the original Ether at £750 go lower and lower if all I do is keep withdrawing any reasonable profit on that original £750.

After withdrawing in the example above, the Ether would go from £1000 back to the original buy price of £750. When this happens will the Ether once itís at original £750 buy price after withdrawing the profit in the above example, can it increase again as the Ether price rises?
It is confusing.

Example - You buy 1 large pizza for £750. The price of this pizza has since increased in value to £1,000. You haven't gained more pizza, just the value has gone up. So when you sell it, you'll be selling a slice of the pizza.

When you sell a slice, you've made money, but you can't keep the slice

Hope that helps a little...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2018
lucy's Avatar
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 555
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
iTrader: (2)
Default

Awww, so the original value of £750 Pizza decreases, every time you sell? So it increase to £1000, you sell a slice for £250, leaving you with £750?

Once at £750 (after selling £250) will the value increase again as Ether is constantly rising/decreasing each day? Or will the £750 keep decreasing each time you want to sell?

Where can you see Ether going say in a week?




Love your pizza example, fantastic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
It is confusing.

Example - You buy 1 large pizza for £750. The price of this pizza has since increased in value to £1,000. You haven't gained more pizza, just the value has gone up. So when you sell it, you'll be selling a slice of the pizza.

When you sell a slice, you've made money, but you can't keep the slice

Hope that helps a little...

Last edited by lucy; 01-08-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2018
lucy's Avatar
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 555
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
iTrader: (2)
Default

Play, I had a good think about your pizza example, am I correct in saying every time the pizza increases in value and you sell a slice of the pizza, the pizza gets smaller and smaller each time a slice is sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
Awww, so the original value of £750 Pizza decreases, every time you sell? So it increase to £1000, you sell a slice for £250, leaving you with £750?

Once at £750 (after selling £250) will the value increase again as Ether is constantly rising/decreasing each day? Or will the £750 keep decreasing each time you want to sell?

Where can you see Ether going say in a week?




Love your pizza example, fantastic!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2018
Play's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,649
Thanks: 1,072
Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,234 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 54%
iTrader: (37)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

The best thing to do is play around, and over time you grasp the concept.

Can be confusing to get your head around.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2018
rsot's Avatar
Executive [VIP]
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 56,932
Thanks: 4,541
Thanked 6,921 Times in 6,307 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 76%
iTrader: (7)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
Play, I had a good think about your pizza example, am I correct in saying every time the pizza increases in value and you sell a slice of the pizza, the pizza gets smaller and smaller each time a slice is sold
If Ethereum keeps going up and you sell ONLY the profit, your initial 750 will still be there.

But it's like this...

You buy 1 Ethereum at 750. Let's say it goes up to 1000. So I Ethereum is worth 1000.

If you sell 250 worth of Ethereum then you will be left with 3/4 Ethereum (since 3/4 will now equal 750).

If Ethereum goes up to 1250 then you're 3/4 is 0.75 x 1250 = 937.50.

(This is if you don't buy more Ethereum). So now you want to take your profit...937.50-750 = 187.50. If 3/4 Ethereum - 937.50 and you sell off for the 187.50 you are left with 750 worth of Ethereum which will be now 0.6.

So if you keep ONLY selling your profits AND if Ethereum keeps going up...then as time goes on, you will be left with less Ethereum but still equal to your 750 initial buy.

Hope that makes sense.

(Pizza example is nice and simple)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-2018
lucy's Avatar
Senior Member
Threadstarter  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 555
Thanks: 15
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
iTrader: (2)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

When you sell do you withdraw funds to the GBP wallet? Thatís what Iíve done.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-11-2018
Play's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,649
Thanks: 1,072
Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,234 Posts
Activity: 47%
Longevity: 54%
iTrader: (37)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy View Post
When you sell do you withdraw funds to the GBP wallet? Thatís what Iíve done.
Yes. But I believe if you wish to do a bank withdraw to a UK bank, it needs to go into your EUR wallet as Coinbase only deal with Euros in terms of bank transfers.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-25-2018
MU
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 7%
iTrader: (0)
Default Re: Coinbase - can you sell partial coins or does it have to be a full coin?

Little confused, I thought the original Ether at £750 would remain the same, if all I do is keep withdrawing the profit on that £750 and making sure the Ether remains at £750 all the time.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coinbase asking for too much information BlackLion CryptoCurrency 4 01-04-2018 08:54 AM
Having Problems With CoinBase BlackLion Everything Else 21 11-20-2016 07:05 AM
Coinbase + PayPal aspkin Everything Else 9 07-11-2016 12:52 PM
Full Restriction late March - Now suddenly can sell BubbleTea Subscriber Discussions 13 05-25-2012 06:55 PM
How does PayPal match address? Full match or partial? fantasy Paypal Limited 0 07-25-2009 05:15 AM


Aspkin Group

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Stop the guessing games and learn how you can quickly and easily get back on eBay today!
Read the best selling step-by-step eBay Suspension guide eBay Stealth!
Amazon Suspension? Read Amazon Ghost to get back on Amazon!
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger
no new posts