Trying to figure out how to make this deal happen. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers

Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers Discuss Dropshipping on/off eBay, Amazon, Shopify, Etsy and other platforms.

Old 08-13-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 87%
Send a message via Yahoo to IDK
Default Trying to figure out how to make this deal happen.

I have been interested in buying washing detergent from China. They sell it by the ton. I have no experience with FOB shipments. I don't know how I would get a ton of washing detergent delivered without paying a fortune. There has to be a logical way to do this. Or is that kind of stuff for fortune 500 companies or something? A ton sounds like a lot, but in actuality it's just a pallet of washing powder. What am I not getting?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Well, detergent aside, shipping is by weight for the most part. Best way you can really save money is the absolute slowest option. Boat.

I have a dealer in the US that I buy a regular item from and he has a supplier in China . Not vero, but just the cheapest place in the world to get it. I tried to cut him out and go to the manufacturer and was shocked to find that getting it would cost me 5 times as much with the shipping.

So I was making small talk with him and casually asked how he can sell to me so cheap. Answer was shipping. It takes him 150 days to receive his bulk orders by boat. Thats slow! The trip doesn't take 150 days. But there is no set schedule on when it goes. They wait for container to fill and then next boat, etc. But he says super cheap. He can sell his items for less then what most people pay wholesale and still cleans up. But his stock is always 4 months behind.

Now how to go about this way of shipping I have no idea. If you have a supplier in mind they may help. So if you don't mind waiting for months to get your soap, that's the cheapest way and you can clean up [pun intended] if the soap itself is super cheap
Old 08-13-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Well, detergent aside, shipping is by weight for the most part. Best way you can really save money is the absolute slowest option. Boat.

I have a dealer in the US that I buy a regular item from and he has a supplier in China . Not vero, but just the cheapest place in the world to get it. I tried to cut him out and go to the manufacturer and was shocked to find that getting it would cost me 5 times as much with the shipping.

So I was making small talk with him and casually asked how he can sell to me so cheap. Answer was shipping. It takes him 150 days to receive his bulk orders by boat. Thats slow! The trip doesn't take 150 days. But there is no set schedule on when it goes. They wait for container to fill and then next boat, etc. But he says super cheap. He can sell his items for less then what most people pay wholesale and still cleans up. But his stock is always 4 months behind.

Now how to go about this way of shipping I have no idea. If you have a supplier in mind they may help. So if you don't mind waiting for months to get your soap, that's the cheapest way and you can clean up [pun intended] if the soap itself is super cheap
Yeah, that's what FOB is. Delivery by boat. I have to tell the supplier what port I want it delivered to. This is the part I'm confused about. Can I have it delivered to a port in my city or do I have to collect it where it's checked into customs?? The delivery states 1 month, so you are in the right direction. Then there is the payment. FOB means the supplier will deliver it to a certain point. I will then pay for it at that point, then after that, it's my responsibility. That's cool, but will it pass customs before I have to deal with all that??

God this is driving me crazy. There is great money in this. I gotta get my hands on it!

Last edited by IDK; 08-13-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Contact a customs brokerage firm. I have to assume they can get you afloat [hee hee, another pun]
The Following User Says Thank You to pod For This Useful Post:
yellow0102 (06-20-2011)
Old 08-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDK View Post
I have been interested in buying washing detergent from China. They sell it by the ton. I have no experience with FOB shipments. I don't know how I would get a ton of washing detergent delivered without paying a fortune. There has to be a logical way to do this. Or is that kind of stuff for fortune 500 companies or something? A ton sounds like a lot, but in actuality it's just a pallet of washing powder. What am I not getting?
Sorry, but it will take more than a pallet of washing soap to clean up that oil spill!

Old 08-13-2010

Longevity: 89%

I love Jeff's wise cracks.
Old 08-13-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
Sorry, but it will take more than a pallet of washing soap to clean up that oil spill!

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Contact a customs brokerage firm. I have to assume they can get you afloat [hee hee, another pun]
I've never heard of this.
Old 08-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

A customs broker helps with bringing product through customs from other countries. You would use them for larger shipments to help expedite the crossing. I had one years ago bringing in construction materials from a third world country. But they would also be knowledgeable in shipping as well.

The agent I had handled all the details right to my warehouse door. For a fee naturally. But if you call one up and pick his brain as a newbie to the system it should get you off the ground a bit in understanding the process. You dont necessarily need to hire one, but with any luck you will gain some knowledge.

Also, there may be some chemical concerns and restrictions you may have to deal with. Again, they would have some knowledge in this area.
The Following User Says Thank You to pod For This Useful Post:
IDK (08-16-2010)
Old 08-14-2010

Longevity: 89%

It's worth remembering though that they only deal in legitimate importing.
Old 08-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

Right. For sure. But not sure if they make knock off laundry soap so I never thought to bring it up. But who knows I guess, they make almost anything.
Old 08-15-2010

Longevity: 83%

who you want to deal with is freight forwarders. FOB is: Freight on boat. much cheaper the any other method of shipping. This is how all manufactures get there finished product to the us usually in L.A.

I would say the best option would be to get a sourcing agent. someone will get a slice of the pie along the way.
Old 08-16-2010
Threadstarter  

Thanks guys.... Customs broker huh?

What kind of money will these companies typically be asking for? I don't like anything messing with my bottom line, but I guess it's worth it to learn the ropes.

As far as the actual merchandise. It's China brand washing soap. It comes directly from a manufacturing plant. However, they will send Tide brand if I choose. They don't come in boxes, so branding is not an issue. It comes in wool sacs. Hell, if you can tell bootleg washing powder just by looking at it, you are one bad mofo... But I'm not sure I'm going with the Tide. I may try a sample first. The prices for this stuff is sooo sexy! I could seriously get wealthy off this. Trying out these brokers tomorrow.