Am I Being Scammed ? by a TaoBao Seller - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers

Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers Discuss Dropshipping on/off eBay, Amazon, Shopify, Etsy and other platforms.

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012
Banned

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 66%

I once got scammed by people in China 5 years ago I did Western Union like you did. And then I got online translator and put in chinese, and told them I knew a friend at the Chinese Embassy, and emailed them with Chinese writing lol. They got scared and sent me my stuff. But hope it works out for you! I don't trust china no more!
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostWhoWalks For This Useful Post:
Elijah (12-27-2012)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-26-2012

I got arrested last year for assaulting a WU agent who was being rude and obnoxious. I was sending $500 to supplier in China and the agent wanted to see ID. I told them no ID for transaction under $1000 is WU policy. She insisted so I gave her my drivers license - photo ID. She said it wasnt good I put Tom on the form and my license had Thomas. I flipped out and said I was gonna get her. She calls cops. I get arrested for assault and public disturbance. Costs me $2100 for a lawyer and court fees.

So that is why I tell you WU SUCKS - do not use them.
The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:
GreenGhost (01-12-2013)
Old 12-27-2012

Longevity: 68%

^^^ lol wow...
Old 12-27-2012

My supplier says this regularly, and I pay with WU, never had any trouble. They send me tracking code in 2/3 days, I think it's because they have to travel to post by DHL where as EMS they can post locally. Hence all the transfers before it getting on the plane.
But yeh, WU isn't good if you haven't ordered before. Always do a few sample orders, build up your money and make sure anything you send you don't mind losing, and always make sure there isn't another supplier who can provide the same product for the same price with paypal
Old 12-27-2012

Longevity: 70%

I start paying my supplier by Western Union only after receiving from them at least 5 packages. First 5 packages, I pay by paypal only. If they insist, I would just dump them and mover to another supplier.
Old 01-03-2013

Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by error View Post
Not the way it works in China.

Sellers use shipping couriers who forward your package to the respective shipping companies, dhl, ems, etc...

When you place an order, your seller boxes it, and hands it over to there courier/forwarder.

With DHL they receive a reference number at this point, they do not receive a tracking number until DHL scans receipt of the package. So ask your supplier to at least provide the DHL referrence number.
Let me just add something here.

You are correct. High volume sellers in China do use forwarding services BUT they also subscribe to a plan with the shipping companies (usually China Post, EMS and Hong Kong Post) so they already have the envelopes and boxes with the tracking numbers that those companies assigned them to use. That's why most of the time you have to wait up to 5 days for the tracking number you already have to start working, which occurs when they scan it at the company.

In this case, with DHL (I'm assuming he used DHL Global Mail), you could easily ask the seller for the reference number, that is available long before the package reaches the shipping company, and use it in the second box on this website: https://www.globalmail.dhl.com/web/portal-asia/traceit

Last edited by Orkwar; 01-03-2013 at 10:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orkwar For This Useful Post:
ashleychan (04-01-2013), GreenGhost (01-12-2013)
Old 01-04-2013

Longevity: 75%

in my opinion one should stick to paypal or CC, this checks one point that the supplier accepting paypal will be a little serious, though i hate paypal from the core of my heart, still i will suggest first few payments must be using a CC in anyway.
Old 01-05-2013
MU
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 84%

Please close the thread got package all is well
Old 01-06-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,945 Times in 8,236 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWhoWalks View Post
I once got scammed by people in China 5 years ago I did Western Union like you did. And then I got online translator and put in chinese, and told them I knew a friend at the Chinese Embassy, and emailed them with Chinese writing lol. They got scared and sent me my stuff. But hope it works out for you! I don't trust china no more!
Excellent GWW

@OP, nice that the shipment worked out.
Old 01-07-2013
Banned

Thank you!
Old 01-10-2013
Speeder33

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skys The Limit View Post
Please close the thread got package all is well
glad to hear it, taobao sellers have been reliable in my experience
Old 01-30-2013

Longevity: 69%

Look guys - to be blunt. All this debate is pointless. Fundamentally you've got to be a complete fool to pay 1k $ by WU to somebody you don't have a long term relationship with. Much better to pay them via paypal and offer them the 3$ transaction fee on top so they receive 1k $. That 3% is worth it for the transaction being on paypal.

Frankly it's very simple. If they don't want to trade on paypal you have to ask why....i'll tell you the answer. Because they're trying to scam you. Done. Sorry to be brutal but i import things from china and always pay on paypal. DHL do not take 3 days to give the tracking number...they take 3 seconds.

Wake up. Your ego is getting involved and will get you burnt. No matter how good these hats are, you can't make any money with no hats, cheap or not ;-)

So don't do it again. And write it off.
The Following User Says Thank You to London1234 For This Useful Post:
oompaloompa (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013

Longevity: 90%

3 percent of 1k is $30

Quote:
Originally Posted by London1234 View Post
Look guys - to be blunt. All this debate is pointless. Fundamentally you've got to be a complete fool to pay 1k $ by WU to somebody you don't have a long term relationship with. Much better to pay them via paypal and offer them the 3$ transaction fee on top so they receive 1k $. That 3% is worth it for the transaction being on paypal.

Frankly it's very simple. If they don't want to trade on paypal you have to ask why....i'll tell you the answer. Because they're trying to scam you. Done. Sorry to be brutal but i import things from china and always pay on paypal. DHL do not take 3 days to give the tracking number...they take 3 seconds.

Wake up. Your ego is getting involved and will get you burnt. No matter how good these hats are, you can't make any money with no hats, cheap or not ;-)

So don't do it again. And write it off.
Old 02-03-2013

You have to understand how shipping in China works before you go off on your supplier that way. ALSO, think of how much sh*t is coming out of China around Christmas. And now that their Lunar New Year is in a couple days, they were scrambling to ship everything out of the country by the end of January.

They box your stuff up, give it to a courier...that courier then gets it over to DHL, FedEx, etc. and helps it pass customs in CHINA. Then from there, they get the tracking number from DHL, FedEx, etc. and give it back to the company you bought from. With the number of packages they have to be a middle man for, it can take a day or two to get your tracking number.

It's no wonder people are having problems with their sellers...the way you talk to them. A bit of professionalism goes a long way to create a good relationship with them. The fact is, most sellers do NOT want to scam you...they want to provide good service so that you will come back. If he sh*ts on you over $1000, what's the point? Maybe when you order $5000 next time then he will take the time to sh*t on you - but why do it before the big orders roll in?

Also, take a look at their ratings beforehand. Good ratings, they won't screw you. Shipping time, MAYBE they will be slow, maybe they need to manufacture first....but they will hardly ever screw you.
Old 03-22-2013

Longevity: 64%

Don't pay by Western Union for starters. All sellers accept PayPal; they usually just prefer not to because of high fees.
Old 03-27-2013

Longevity: 81%
Default Am I Being Scammed ? by a TaoBao Seller

I had a bad experience with taoboa last summer.
Did the same thing send $3000 via western union. Stopped hearing from the guy, I called his Chinese number over 20 times a day. Luckily with persistence and threats of contacting police via instant messenger I got my products;

However, I had to pay customers duty for $150 the products were the lowest quality ever meaning uneven cuts it was a mess never heard from the guy again simple apology none worst business dealing.

Lesson learned make payments via PayPal or other services escrow so you don't get scammed was lucky to get the order shipped at least compared to losing $3000.

good luck hope you get in touch with the seller soon
Closed Thread