How do people sell name brand items? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-25-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 62%
Default How do people sell name brand items?

Hey guys, I know I have seen people on here asking this same question. I am not trying to be preoccupied with someone else's business, but I am genuinely curious. I would appreciate if some more experienced online sellers can give me a few scenarios where they can conceive of someone reselling online brands like Nike, Adidas, Reebok, etc with these companies's permissions.

I see some sellers with an ebay store, with several name-brand stuff listed, like Nike for example. A quick google search of one seller in particular's store brings up an amazon shop and their own website, where they are selling Nike sneakers galore among other name-brands (and some generic no-name brands mixed in). They even have a YouTube video showcasing their large stock of Nike sneakers among a couple other name-brand products.

This one seller's items are indeed legitimate, that much I can tell (purchased from them before). But how are they selling brand names online? Nike, for example, does not allow people to resell online. What scenario would arise that would allow this person to freely sell Nike sneakers and other Nike apparel online?

I considered that the seller might be selling online hoping that these brands do not realize they are selling their merchandise online, but they are pretty open about their advertising and this does not seem likely as they seem like a fairly large and legitimate company.

I would just appreciate some insight into how reselling online works, specifically brand-name merchandise. Again, I am not trying to pester about other people's business, but I am hoping for some more insight on how online reselling works and how one could acquire permissions to sell name-brand online from the company themselves. Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-25-2017
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 55%
Longevity: 91%
Default Re: How do people sell name brand items?

Usually these items are in like new condition or store demo. So they are considered used.

Another example is when a brick n mortar store has a Nike account, then they have access to everything. I do not know about Nike per se, but there are high brand companies out there that make a deal with their account holders allowing them to do such based on the agreement.

Whether that's about not violating their MAP or they can only sell a quantity.
Old 05-25-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Some of these sellers are also just PURE LUCKY not to get kicked with vero violations - sometimes luck but also sometimes experimentation (trial and error)
Old 05-26-2017

Longevity: 40%

i think aged accounts and ones that have SSN and everything verified dont have as much problems.

In a past younger lifetime, I used to collect jordans and af1. I have 100's of sales of high end nikes on eBay. Never once asked to remove or take down. Id have 20-30 pairs listed at the same time. I think i might have helped that i was selling sneakers back in 2001 and originally joined ebay to be a sneaker seller. Over the years up till 2016, ive sold off a lot of my sneaker collection. NEVER had a problem with removals

I think the feedback youve gotten on those sales matter. Once again i was selling Player Exclusives, Quickstrike, and Ultra strike. These all have major price tags. Most of the sneakers i was selling were above $200, and some as high as $2000(kobe 3m AF1 PE).

Last edited by TGMT²; 05-26-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: use proper terminology..
Old 05-26-2017

Longevity: 79%

I sell very high end stuff. Never once had an issue. I've done nothing special. Don't hide anything. I buy it all on ebay
Old 05-26-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

It is your niche.

Your approach to that niche and how much graft you put into selling the product.

As an example, there are brand items not easily resold in the USA (grey imports). Same items work on other markets.

One factor you must consider is your brand name producer/seller has powerful sources of tracing those parties that on-sell their items. They do not accept fantasy nor tolerate stories of purchases from my 3rd cousin's special factory in China.

If you are going to venture into this area, you prepare solid accounts. Your PayPal will be in good standing with them. By that I mean verified and confirmed. Your eBay is much the same. There is a tangible address attached to who or what you are.

I sell jewlry. Brand name too. It took me just on 3 years to get enough to sell by being allowed access to discounts.
Just my .2 cents. Ask more if you want too please.

Old 05-26-2017
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the reply guys.

I can conceive of how someone may sell certain brand names on ebay by building a sturdy account, accumulating feedback, etc. In regards to stealth, I understand the techniques one would need to make their account as tolerant as possible to high end and brand name stuff.

What really threw me off is how someone can sell a name brand like Nike on eBay, amazon, their own website, all under a legit company name, and not get in trouble with Nike. Nike specifically states when you sign up to be a vendor that you can sell their merchandise in a storefront, but their merchandise cannot be sold online. So, even if you could get away with pushing their merchandise on a stealth account, how does a company get away with doing it on their own website with such large quantities under the company's own name that they freely advertise for everyone to see?

I am wondering if they have a special agreement with Nike to allow them to sell online? However they have a few other brands as well that I know would not allow you to resell online either, yet they are doing it out in the open, which means they would need to have come to terms and agreements with each of these companies to allow them to sell merchandise online. It seems hard to believe, but I it is guess possible.

I am just trying to envision the path a start-up clothing company could take in order sell brand name items online, on a website, an amazon store, ebay shop, etc. with the brand-name company's authorization.
Old 05-26-2017

those people could have grandfathered sales agreements. Obviously retailers are allowed to sell nikes and other brands online. Footlocker has an ebay store outlet and website as well as brick and mortar store.

I know i used to buy from an athlete foot franchisee and his nike rep knew exactly what we were doing with the shoes. Even encouraged our ebay store by providing us super limited shoes on a pretty constant basis.
Old 05-26-2017
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRock View Post
those people could have grandfathered sales agreements. Obviously retailers are allowed to sell nikes and other brands online. Footlocker has an ebay store outlet and website as well as brick and mortar store.

I know i used to buy from an athlete foot franchisee and his nike rep knew exactly what we were doing with the shoes. Even encouraged our ebay store by providing us super limited shoes on a pretty constant basis.
That's pretty cool! Were you ever worried about getting a vero strike from Nike? Did you ever get a Vero shutdown when selling Nike or any other athletic sneaker brands?
Old 05-26-2017

I never even heard of Vero till this year when a bunch of copycat sellers started knocking off our product. Then ebay guided me toward Vero to report the knock offs of my products.

Never was once even concerned with Nike. Our nike rep was not only sourcing limited edition shoes for us, but also got us invited to a bunch of Nike events back then. Opening of flight club NYC, Opening of NIKE ID store in NYC. Hooked us up with the owners of Undefeated before they even had a shoe release. My friend at the time owned 6 Athletes foots and was a serious seller down here in Miami. We were in the shoe game before it ever caught on. Unfortunately, i was too young to understand the resources available to me at the time. Its one of those business that when you look back over 15 years.....it kicks you in the balls that i gave up an opportunity like that.