Buyer returns different item. eBay enabling return fraud - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-04-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 40%
Default Buyer returns different item. eBay enabling return fraud

So this is new to me but apparently eBay does not cover you if the buyer returns a different item than the one they ordered. Since when does eBay seller protection not cover this?

Recently, a buyer ordered an electronic part from me and filed an "item defective" case. I was sympathetic for the buyer, so of course I allowed the return. Nevermind the fact that it took him 3 weeks to return it (I should have closed the case then and there)... but it turns out he returned a COMPLETELY different item to me than the one I sold him.

I immediately took photos, and even had the mail delivery person promise that she could attest to the package that was delivered... but eBay said that evidence was not "sufficient". They said I needed to get the buyer to admit (!) that they had returned a different item. Not only that, but I needed to get the buyer to admit they did it INTENTIONALLY. If the buyer returned the wrong item "by accident" (I **** you not, you can call and ask them), they would still be eligible for the full refund.

In other words, the only way I am eligible for a full refund is if I can show ebay CS through proof sent through ebay messages that the buyer willingly (and admittedly) committed return fraud. Um...

Since WHEN is this the case?? I've never had this happen to me, but I always assumed that when the day would come, ebay would have my back. Is it not in their TOS that ebay will cover sellers for return fraud??? I am so disgusted with their double talk and hypocrisy recently.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-04-2017

Longevity: 46%
Default Re: Buyer returns different item. eBay enabling return fraud

I always let the buyer know I'm reporting them for fraud and how fraud is considered a crime of moral turpitude, my disputes tend to go away shortly afterwards and if someone jipped me some money I magically get it back from them
Old 07-05-2017

Longevity: 72%

I've never had any luck with these cases. EB does allow this, and you are always at risk of it happen, however, it's not very common.

Just another risk of doing business on EB, sadly...
Old 07-05-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

Go to your local police department a file a police report and send it to ebay. They will most likely eat up the cost and give your your money back. The buyer will get to keep the item and money but you get your money back. Dont let the buyer get away.
The Following User Says Thank You to yotano211 For This Useful Post:
MM78 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Combined with what yotano211 and shad0wd0wn have mentioned....buyers tend to back down.
Old 07-05-2017

Longevity: 44%

This will happen, and its ever more common because buyers know they can get away with it. What I do lowers the value of what I sell but for the peace of mind its worth it, I mark the last 3 numbers of the transaction onto my high valued electronics and take clear video evidence so if somebody decides to do as they did with you I have a few options.

I have a pre-written, official looking letter I fill in the buyers details and send it to them giving them the option to either pay for the item or send the actual item in the same condition back. To further my point I will attempt to find them on Facebook, locate their employer and add that into the mix, not forgetting the 'this will be pursued in court'. Usually its enough to get a response, when I dont get one I will file a police report and contact eBay, I have never, EVER been left out of pocket.

While this may not be realistic to do if you sell tons of cheap valued electronics, I sell mainly consoles, games and phones that are on-hand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK81 For This Useful Post:
Dufus (07-06-2017), pirate1122 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-06-2017

Give it a try, nothing to lose.

If they're professional scammers they won't be impressed by a letter, if they're the garden variety amateur they may back down.
Old 07-06-2017

Longevity: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post
Give it a try, nothing to lose.

If they're professional scammers they won't be impressed by a letter, if they're the garden variety amateur they may back down.
I would hardly call robbing innocent individuals by swapping items professional scammers, more like scumbag, thick ****s who cannot put effort into learning a real art so they attack those that may never know how to fight back.
Old 07-06-2017

I understand, I didn't intend to convey approval, I just used the term by it's strictest meaning, which is a professional is someone who earns a living via his/her trade, as opposed to an amateur, who mostly does it for fun and occasional profit.
Old 07-06-2017

Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotano211 View Post
Go to your local police department a file a police report and send it to ebay. They will most likely eat up the cost and give your your money back. The buyer will get to keep the item and money but you get your money back. Dont let the buyer get away.
ebay just needs you to file that online form thing. You don't need to go to the police.