Selling used Apple plugs - risky? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-17-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 40%
Default Selling used Apple plugs - risky?

As a phone dealer I have been looking around the office for things we can shift, to help build feedback on our new stealth accounts.

We have things like old used (but working, and genuine Apple original) plugs and cables. Hundreds of these. Also the odd case and screensaver etc.

I would list these as used, 0.99p start auction them off. Would this be risky on a stealth account?

Could potentially list them without the word Apple in the title, not really bothered what they go for. Could even just list them as being 3rd party (none apple) then when the buyer receives them they will get a nice surprise re their quality.

Is it just the new branded goods that tend to be risky with eBay? Would flogging a load of old plugs and cables etc be OK?

Or should I stay away all together?

Many thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to iphone_seller For This Useful Post:
Halo.one (07-17-2017)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-17-2017
Banned

Longevity: 52%
Default Re: Selling used Apple plugs - risky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone_seller View Post
As a phone dealer I have been looking around the office for things we can shift, to help build feedback on our new stealth accounts.

We have things like old used (but working, and genuine Apple original) plugs and cables. Hundreds of these. Also the odd case and screensaver etc.

I would list these as used, 0.99p start auction them off. Would this be risky on a stealth account?

Could potentially list them without the word Apple in the title, not really bothered what they go for. Could even just list them as being 3rd party (none apple) then when the buyer receives them they will get a nice surprise re their quality.

Is it just the new branded goods that tend to be risky with eBay? Would flogging a load of old plugs and cables etc be OK?

Or should I stay away all together?

Many thanks
Try it and let us know.

Old 07-17-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestate View Post
As somebody that is new to this world and has paid for a stealth account, this wasn't the answer I was looking for lol. Presumed others had trial'd similar goods in a similar condition - was hoping for their experiences.

Edit: hmm not looking too good:

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/uk-ebay...cessories.html

Although unsure whether their accessories were listed as new items or not.

Last edited by iphone_seller; 07-17-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-17-2017

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

I would just omit any brand names, list it as an auction and let it do its thing.

I presume you just want to get the account rolling, perfect way to do it.

Remember to include actual pictures of what you are selling (not stock images), just helps show eBay this is in your possession.

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
iphone_seller (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Tons of mixed opinions. Really only way to know is to test yourself. We do not all experience the same results.
Old 07-17-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
As somebody that is new to this world and has paid for a stealth account, this wasn't the answer I was looking for lol.
Because you paid for a stealth account? It is really does not effect any of us. We share based on our personal reasons and/or desires. Just wanted to clear that up because non of us owe you anything because you paid someone else for an account. Only the person who you paid had any benefit to your purchase.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
Futuremogul888 (07-17-2017), rsot (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Because you paid for a stealth account? It is really does not effect any of us. We share based on our personal reasons and/or desires. Just wanted to clear that up because non of us owe you anything because you paid someone else for an account. Only the person who you paid had any benefit to your purchase.
Yeah cheers wasn't suggesting that at all.

Was merely saying having some idea whether or not the proposed types of goods being sold on new stealth accounts, raise eyebrows with eBay, would be beneficial to me. Rather than listing them blind, without such knowledge of others' experiences. I thought that was one of the core purposes of the forum.

Appreciate the responsibility is all mine, but I again have read a number of forum posts on here asking is such and such, in such a condition, listed in such a way, a risky item/way to sell on here under a new account - so thought it was a fair question to ask!
Old 07-17-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Make sure that these plugs and cables are NOT the first things you sell on the account - slowly build sales before plunging into the electronic category.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Make sure that these plugs and cables are NOT the first things you sell on the account - slowly build sales before plunging into the electronic category.
Thank you, will do. Did not know old used plugs could potentially be seen as in the same high risk category as say a phone etc. But staying away from the electronics category all together is fine, better to be safe.

I have some boring old commemorative coin sets to sell, which I think I will run with. They seem to fit the "old lady clearing out the house" bill exactly in terms of the types of goods to sell on a new stealth account.
Old 07-17-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Thank you, will do. Did not know old used plugs could potentially be seen as in the same high risk category as say a phone etc. But staying away from the electronics category all together is fine, better to be safe.

I have some boring old commemorative coin sets to sell, which I think I will run with. They seem to fit the "old lady clearing out the house" bill exactly in terms of the types of goods to sell on a new stealth account.
Gold/bullion and coins are VERY HIGH RISK. Just make sure you listing something not falling into these categories. Best way to look at it is, IF the item is commonly counterfeited it is high risk aka cell phone chargers... BUT all at the same time many people have no problem at all selling such things right away. Difference is that they get restricted and have to call in or supply docs no big deal. Your case may or may not be the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%

The problem is more the apple brand. If you are selling it as your personally used, usually it's ok. But when they think you are another vendor, it could be a little iffy.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
The problem is more the apple brand. If you are selling it as your personally used, usually it's ok. But when they think you are another vendor, it could be a little iffy.
Yeah true I would definitely drop the Apple name from the title / specifics if I were to do it - which would be a shame because they really are genuine! Lol.

But yes the fact that I could potentially sell a good number of these on there would lead them to thinking I was a vendor - which again I am. Ahh still getting my head around this world!
Old 07-17-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Gold/bullion and coins are VERY HIGH RISK. Just make sure you listing something not falling into these categories. Best way to look at it is, IF the item is commonly counterfeited it is high risk aka cell phone chargers... BUT all at the same time many people have no problem at all selling such things right away. Difference is that they get restricted and have to call in or supply docs no big deal. Your case may or may not be the same.
I didn't even think of this - I mean this is the sort of thing I mean:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Unite...8AAOSwblZZNayj

Low value gift type coin collections, they were quite popular Xmas presents for kids and stuff back in the day.

I'm not sure if that would fall into the high risk gold/bullion category you speak of. Who knows! Definitely do not have any receipts for them, the collections date back to the late 80's.
Old 07-17-2017
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Yeah true I would definitely drop the Apple name from the title / specifics if I were to do it - which would be a shame because they really are genuine! Lol.

But yes the fact that I could potentially sell a good number of these on there would lead them to thinking I was a vendor - which again I am. Ahh still getting my head around this world!
I'd use a back up account and try it there even with the apple brand in the title... or use multiple back up accounts and sell a small quantity each. Then see how it goes
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
yankee (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Ahh still getting my head around this world!
One thing you will learn quickly is MORE accounts equals more $$$$$ and less risk as a significant business owner.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
Halo.one (07-17-2017), iphone_seller (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
One thing you will learn quickly is MORE accounts equals more $$$$$ and less risk as a significant business owner.
Think I am just beginning to grasp this concept. I feel I have lived a sheltered life somewhat, before learning all this!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iphone_seller For This Useful Post:
Halo.one (07-17-2017), TMGTisRIDDLEDwithCANCER (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017

Longevity: 73%

I think these selling choices are going to get you in trouble at this point.

Try selling dollar store stuff for a while and then you can start feeding the plugs and other things into the mill a bit later, avoid name brand in title and don't do too many, after you get some feedback built up and limits increased a bit you can probably do this if you are careful.

I used to have really great luck with these laminated placemats. Seriously. Counting numbers and letters and educational stuff, you can get them at the $ store for a buck and get $2-5 + shipping for them, sell 20-30 and bam you've got sales history and a few bucks in PP to cover fees and shipping, just let it lay there, don't even withdraw it, PP loves it when you do that and there's no real money involved.

It isn't about making a lot of money at first, it's just about getting the motor warmed up and ready to drive.

You'd have to see if placemats still sell, but if not you can find something else similar that does.

Then 2-3 months down the line you can step it up.

This is a long term game. Play it for the future not today.

Use this strategy to be opening new accounts on a regular basis and keep them idling until you want to step them up. Constantly be working to improve your account pool, getting them ready to sell ever better stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to dallis For This Useful Post:
iphone_seller (07-18-2017)