I know this isnt the place to ask...but im in a bind and need advice - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-13-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 53%
Default I know this isnt the place to ask...but im in a bind and need advice

I recently signed a 6months mall kiosk contract to try and get rid of all my crap I couldn't on ebay...well 1 month in I didn't even profit $500.

My rent is $1500 a month
then in Nov its $2000 and December its $4000

There is no way in hell I can afford this.
the contract is in my corporations name. Signed by me like this (name - ceo)

But the mall at the beginning needed my SSN to do a background check. Now I am paranoid that if I just disappear my credit score of 810 will be screwed even tho I signed in the corps name. Idk guys please help me. I can upload a pic of the contract if needed. Thanks in advance.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-13-2017
Banned

Longevity: 52%
Default Re: I know this isnt the place to ask...but im in a bind and need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlmfao View Post
I recently signed a 6months mall kiosk contract to try and get rid of all my crap I couldn't on ebay...well 1 month in I didn't even profit $500.

My rent is $1500 a month
then in Nov its $2000 and December its $4000

There is no way in hell I can afford this.
the contract is in my corporations name. Signed by me like this (name - ceo)

But the mall at the beginning needed my SSN to do a background check. Now I am paranoid that if I just disappear my credit score of 810 will be screwed even tho I signed in the corps name. Idk guys please help me. I can upload a pic of the contract if needed. Thanks in advance.
How could you sign a contract unsure of your current financial state? Bad decision...
How to clean photos
Best image resizer
Old 09-13-2017
Speeder33

Longevity: 0%
Default Re: I know this isnt the place to ask...but im in a bind and need advice

That could be a difficult one, you can see if you can buy your way out of the contract
Old 09-13-2017
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 69%
Longevity: 91%

1. What are the items? I am familiar with Kiosks in malls. Maybe I can give you some insights.

2. Talk with the person you signed the contract with you and explain the situation and see if there's a penalty that you can get out of that makes sense.
Old 09-13-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Saijin makes a good point about 2. - deal with the penalty to cancel and move on
Old 09-14-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
1. What are the items? I am familiar with Kiosks in malls. Maybe I can give you some insights.

2. Talk with the person you signed the contract with you and explain the situation and see if there's a penalty that you can get out of that makes sense.
Womens handbags. Non brand. They dont sell....worst idea on my part oh well.
Old 09-14-2017

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Saijin makes a good point about 2. - deal with the penalty to cancel and move on
This applies to US....

I have had mall stores in the past, and in my experience, the mall landlords are the most ruthless of them all. The best way to deal with them is to play poker with them...as in they know exactly what your sales are, and chances are that if you are judgment proof they will not do anything if it's obvious to them that your sales no way justify the rent. Remember, they can't just close you down; you can stay open until they formally evict you. Many people who declare bankruptcy often does this to squeeze every single last dollar out of a store.

It costs money to sue for possession if you don't pay rent, and if the space is not that hard to rent out, a lot of times they will just let you out in exchange for not getting a lawyer and delaying the eviction process for six months. Remember, it's not personal to them. They will not put an eviction on your record just because they're pissed at you for not paying rent. They will always do what makes them more money.

Last edited by toml3030; 09-14-2017 at 07:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toml3030 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (09-16-2017), rsot (09-14-2017)
Old 09-15-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 2%
Longevity: 68%

It is very simple: Under the terms of the contract are you personally joint and severally liable for the rent or does the liability strictly fall under the responsibility of the corporation. If it is the latter, then simply walk away. They can sue your corporation for between 90 days and all the way up to the remainder of the contract depending on the laws in your jurisdiction.

Since I am assuming this is a shell corporation that you do not care about and it has little to no assets then there is nothing to worry about.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice, just knowledge from my vast experience as a retail tenant. The decision and the consequences will ultimately be your responsibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to Futuremogul888 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017

Longevity: 52%

Have you tried sourcing more new product that the clientele may be interested in like electronics?? I don't know if I would give up so fast after only trying to sell bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datpiff View Post
Have you tried sourcing more new product that the clientele may be interested in like electronics?? I don't know if I would give up so fast after only trying to sell bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick and mortar sales of electronics are fading quickly...
Old 09-16-2017
Banned

Longevity: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Brick and mortar sales of electronics are fading quickly...
i know many cell phone store owners who would beg to differ...
Old 09-16-2017
Threadstarter  

Its a corporation only. This corp has $600 gross sales. THATS IT haha oh and a $15000 dollar credit card...
Old 09-18-2017

Longevity: 72%

Seriously... did you really expect to sell enough non-name brand handbags in December to pay a 4K rent?

If you're the only real corporate board member they're going to try to 'pierce the corporate veil', I've done it myself, it isn't very hard if you get a sympathetic judge.

That will make you personally liable. That's possible so people don't just hide behind the corporation and run up huge debts and run away.

I think Saijin and the others make sense. Short and practical answer, try to buy your way out.

Be assured, they can trash you easily if they want to put the time and energy into it.

I've done it to people who stiffed me and I'm not even an attorney.
Old 09-19-2017
Super Moderator

Have you talked to the landlord yet? I really think you should find out about it.

Holidays is coming and if you want to keep the kiosk, I hope you have a good plan on how to turn things around.
Old 09-19-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
Have you talked to the landlord yet? I really think you should find out about it.

Holidays is coming and if you want to keep the kiosk, I hope you have a good plan on how to turn things around.
Nope, but I have talked to a couple lawyers...and they said the way the contract is written they expect people to just leave. Hense why there is a $1200 security deposit they will be keeping.

honestly i dont care come after me. im broke lol
Old 09-19-2017

Liens can last 7 years most places, more if you renew them.

If you plan to have money in the next 7 years, you're still going to be at risk if they take you to court and win.

Once they have a judgment, they can clean out a person's bank account any time there's a positive balance, seize cash directly from the till of a physical business location, place a lien on real estate that makes it impossible to sell... the options for collections are virtually endless.

Still, you paid for an expert, and I suppose it's not enough money to pursue very diligently for a big corporation like a mall, but trust me, I've done all of the above.

I had one lien against real property come back 15 years later when they went to sell the house and I got my money then.
Old 09-19-2017
Super Moderator

I suggest you talk to them at a personal level and just see what they are willing to do.

I always feel that the right people will always work things out if you are sincere with them.
Old 09-20-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post
Liens can last 7 years most places, more if you renew them.

If you plan to have money in the next 7 years, you're still going to be at risk if they take you to court and win.

Once they have a judgment, they can clean out a person's bank account any time there's a positive balance, seize cash directly from the till of a physical business location, place a lien on real estate that makes it impossible to sell... the options for collections are virtually endless.

Still, you paid for an expert, and I suppose it's not enough money to pursue very diligently for a big corporation like a mall, but trust me, I've done all of the above.

I had one lien against real property come back 15 years later when they went to sell the house and I got my money then.
The only thing I have stiffed them is leaving before the contract is up 5 months left. They can easily replace me for the holidays. Not only that....why is there a security deposit if they will just come after you anyways? They have a $1200 security deposit. I have never not paid rent while I have been here.....They wont pursue 10k....and to be honest....I simply cant afford to stay or buy my way out....so honestly who cares. im screwed either way...but to disappear maybe they think i died.
Old 09-20-2017

They may have a duty to 'mitigate their losses' and if they get another tenant the total debt may be less.

The $1200 may also mitigate the 10K exposure... I think you should try Saijin's advice and go in and talk to them face to face.

They've seen this movie a thousand times, trust me. They may even let you go so they can get a successful vendor in there before the holidays. The worst they can say is no, true?
Old 09-21-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallis View Post
They may have a duty to 'mitigate their losses' and if they get another tenant the total debt may be less.

The $1200 may also mitigate the 10K exposure... I think you should try Saijin's advice and go in and talk to them face to face.

They've seen this movie a thousand times, trust me. They may even let you go so they can get a successful vendor in there before the holidays. The worst they can say is no, true?
Yes, but they can also threaten me. Why have to hear bull crap? When I am leaving anyways?
Old 09-21-2017

Longevity: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datpiff View Post
Have you tried sourcing more new product that the clientele may be interested in like electronics??
The problem with this idea is that in any mall worth being in, your lease with specify what you can carry so you don't steal business from another tenant. Once I had an indian guy who opened a beauty supply place next to me and once he saw how well my store was doing, he tried to completely change his business to compete against me. I had the landlord stop this foolishness because my lease stated that I would be the only store in that section of the mall selling similar items.

Last edited by toml3030; 09-21-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2017

Longevity: 41%

Just leave and have them keep your deposit then. Case closed.

Here is the #1 mistake you made however- You tried to sell unbranded handbags on one of the largest international marketplaces and they didn't sell.

You then went and made your available audience much, much smaller by going to a local mall (do people even go to malls anymore?) to sell the same stuff.

Ideally you would want to have had wild success online before moving to brick and mortar (limiting your buying audience.)

Good luck in your future endeavors.