Is eBay using different methods to link accounts now? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-11-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Default Is eBay using different methods to link accounts now?

I know to use separate user accounts and change and log all ips. Also listing similar items may link you as well. Is there anything else that eBay is looking at that I should know about? Fingerprinting? Footsteps? IP range? I'm beginning to think that eBay has gotten stricter when it comes to linking accounts.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-11-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 49%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Is eBay using different methods to link accounts now?

Nothing new that I've noticed. I'm still running 2 accounts on most of my VPN's and none of them have been linked after 3 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
natashaiera (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

They are likely looking at hundreds of different datasets comparing similar items across a wide array of elements.

It's probably not any one thing alone that is a match that will link you, but the combination of other factors. For example, a matching IP address alone might not link you by itself, but that along with a matching street address or phone# might set up a red flag.

There are less obvious ones, such as photo EXIF data, image characteristics, description details, and possibly shipping/tracking data.

There is no doubt that eBay and PayPal have the ability to use browser canvas fingerprinting. The question should be, do they do anything about it? We all have long known that Amazon does this, only because they actively have linked accounts using it. Amazon's security isn't necessarily better than eBay's, but they enforce their policies differently (and far more strictly) than eBay does.

The best long term security would be implementing a system where their capabilities are not obviously known. For example, they might already know about your 'x' number of stealth account(s). They might not drop the hammer on your right away, though when you make a "misstep". It could be days, week, months, or even years later when you don't know what hit you, or what the actual causes were.

Don't underestimate eBay. They are a Multi Billion$ company with over 15,000 employees and have entire divisions devoted to Trust & Safety and Security. The majority of which is located in a large campus in Utah. They also have access to some of the most sophisticated in-house tools that would rival the US Intelligence community. Don't think for a second they are that stupid.

Do you think they want to kill off stealth completely? Not a chance. They are far more interested in your seller fee money, but so as long as you bring less RISK to them in the way of compliance, or potential legal issues.
Old 01-11-2019

Longevity: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
They also have access to some of the most sophisticated in-house tools that would rival the US Intelligence community. Don't think for a second they are that stupid.

I think you're way overrating eBay's capabilities. I think a lot of conspiracy theories roam around in this forum about linkage.

Every single day a bunch of new sellers pop up in a specific categories and use images they stole from other sellers and non of them got booted.

Seriously, eBay would only link if there is a strong undeniable evidence that the accounts belong to the same person (e.g: singing in with the same exact IP address, sharing similar name and address, having identical listings with a banned account...etc).

I know a seller who got banned, he signed up using a friend's credentials, listed the exact same items with exactly the same pics...etc, to test eBay he contacted them and kinda tipped them of... to our surprise nothing came from except an e-mail saying they would look into it
The Following User Says Thank You to walkingupwards For This Useful Post:
phaz0rz (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingupwards View Post

I know a seller who got banned, he signed up using a friend's credentials, listed the exact same items with exactly the same pics...etc, to test eBay he contacted them and kinda tipped them of... to our surprise nothing came from except an e-mail saying they would look into it
Time will tell if this account survives though
Old 01-12-2019

Longevity: 76%
Send a message via Yahoo to WasTopRatedThenBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
They are likely looking at hundreds of different datasets comparing similar items across a wide array of elements.

It's probably not any one thing alone that is a match that will link you, but the combination of other factors. For example, a matching IP address alone might not link you by itself, but that along with a matching street address or phone# might set up a red flag.

There are less obvious ones, such as photo EXIF data, image characteristics, description details, and possibly shipping/tracking data.

There is no doubt that eBay and PayPal have the ability to use browser canvas fingerprinting. The question should be, do they do anything about it? We all have long known that Amazon does this, only because they actively have linked accounts using it. Amazon's security isn't necessarily better than eBay's, but they enforce their policies differently (and far more strictly) than eBay does.

The best long term security would be implementing a system where their capabilities are not obviously known. For example, they might already know about your 'x' number of stealth account(s). They might not drop the hammer on your right away, though when you make a "misstep". It could be days, week, months, or even years later when you don't know what hit you, or what the actual causes were.

Don't underestimate eBay. They are a Multi Billion$ company with over 15,000 employees and have entire divisions devoted to Trust & Safety and Security. The majority of which is located in a large campus in Utah. They also have access to some of the most sophisticated in-house tools that would rival the US Intelligence community. Don't think for a second they are that stupid.

Do you think they want to kill off stealth completely? Not a chance. They are far more interested in your seller fee money, but so as long as you bring less RISK to them in the way of compliance, or potential legal issues.
eBay stock price is **** compared to amazon. what? $28 a share? To amazons $1300+....Rival US Intelligence ? Come on now, you can basically create a stealth account in 10mins with 1000 selling limit...

Last edited by WasTopRatedThenBanned; 01-12-2019 at 03:47 AM.