eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Rules of Thumb for Breaking in New Accounts (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/124895-rules-thumb-breaking-new-accounts.html)

odinnite 03-21-2019 05:23 PM

Rules of Thumb for Breaking in New Accounts

I wanted the forum's input on best practices for getting "new" accounts up to optimal performance. Everyone with experience knows that a 25K account, even one that's been aged for 90s with some sporadic sales/feedback can't immediately list 25K worth of iphones.

But what exactly can you do? does anyone have any rules of thumb (i.e. for every $100 in sales its ok to list another $100). Does it matter if you are doing BIN or auction (I feel as though ebay is more sensitive to auctioned items but don't really have any evidence).

The problem with stealth accounts (versus getting an account in friend or family member) is that they often can't survive any manual review at all.

Any thoughts?

Leader2dark 03-21-2019 08:04 PM

Re: Rules of Thumb for Breaking in New Accounts

I don't think what you list matters, its how much you sell. Especially from PayPal prospective.

Doing over 3k a week seems to lead to big problems with PayPal I've found. The lower, the safer you are.

odinnite 03-21-2019 09:08 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I actually use a merchant account, so I'm actually not really that concerned with paypal, only with ebay itself.

SaiJin 03-21-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leader2dark (Post 987908)
I don't think what you list matters, its how much you sell. Especially from PayPal prospective.

Doing over 3k a week seems to lead to big problems with PayPal I've found. The lower, the safer you are.

What you list matters a lot.

Best practices is always operate multiple accounts, age them together, make good history and continue behaving like a normal seller that grows.

odinnite 03-22-2019 08:08 PM

Would people say that when the 21 day hold is lifted that's a sign to step on the gas a bit?

degsey69 03-22-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinnite (Post 988123)
Would people say that when the 21 day hold is lifted that's a sign to step on the gas a bit?

It all depends on what you are selling, high risk vero items are policed by eBay and you have to go slowly, if you are selling low risk, safe items then you can go for it before the 90 days are over for the 21 day hold (which in the best of cases can be as little as 3 or 4 days)

odinnite 03-23-2019 02:26 PM

Thank you for your reply-I appreciate the feedback but I was hoping for something more detailed.

The advice to move slowly reminds me of one of my HS history teacher's favorite anecdote's. In 1954 the Supreme Court handed the Brown v Board of Ed ruling which declared that racial segregation was immoral and unconstitutional and that wherever it existed it must be abolished "with all deliberate" speed". The South seized on that one word, "Deliberate", for all sorts of mischief. "Deliberate speed? well 'Deliberate means slow right? So the court wants us to desegregate as slowly as possible." Anyway, we all know how that played out.*

Point being, this is an area where the specifics really matter. I understand the general guidelines but really need help with the specifics. Like, what are some examples of low to medium risk items that will actually sell and what is the pace of the pick up?I can list used baby clothes until the cows come home but no one will bid so nothing is accomplished. Obviously someone buying a 50K account wants to be utilizing a good percentage of that 50k eventually.

I've found low level electronics to be good; like google home assistants. Sometimes I list things as used but then send a new one from amazon; it works but I sometimes take a huge bath. I was thinking maybe sneakers, or things we're my losses wont be terrible if im not buying whole sale

If anyone has experience actually getting an account up to doing 25K to 50K in business (not just creating the theoretical high limits). I would be very interested in the specifics. I would pay good money for the excel sheet of their sales over a year (for example) to see what exactly they did to ramp up.

*I am not comparing my my ability to sell refurbished iphone 7s to the civil rights movement, I just think its an interesting anecdote about language. Please dont be offended.

agent006140 03-23-2019 05:57 PM

both Paypal and EBAY have a list of high risk categories,comics is considered high risk by Paypal!
Iphones definitely are considered high risk,if you sell some refurbished iphones and some accessories,and accept payment with your own merchant account,buyers would think you are an electronic dealer somewhere with the right connection.
There are many items outside electronics which are much sought after by Ebay buyers-timepieces is one-antique and vintage watches,pocket watches,fob,chains.
Period jewelry-art deco,art nouveau,Egyptian revival,Victoria.
Silverware is good ,so are gold coins,gold bars ,gold jewelry or even goldfill jewelry.
Some do nothing but postcards,stamps,McCall patterns,
Someone mention shipping supplies,but you would run into commercial dealers selling for less.
I have sold my unused grocery coupons ,pizza,icecream,oj,pie,toilet paper.

agent006140 03-23-2019 06:02 PM

There are some ebay sellers who gross over 1 million dollars /year ,they are usually electronics ,precious metal dealers,so if you are selling iphones to the tune of 25k-50k a year,it is not a big deal as long as you get no complaint from your buyers.