Ebay Buyer Trying To Rip Me off, what do i do??? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default Ebay Buyer Trying To Rip Me off, what do i do???

hi im having a problem with a buyer who is trying to rip me off. I dont know what im supposed to do. I will explain, and i hope someone can help me. Im new here and I have been reading the forums and trying to learn as much as I can before I just go around asking a bunch of questions. But i dont know how to fix this.

So I sold an item to a customer I shipped it, and provided tracking. Now the buyer is claiming the item he recieved is not the same as what was listed and that its worth nothing. This is bull this guy is lieng and trying to rip me off, anyways he proceeded to file a dispute against me and make a claim with ebay. However paypal was unable to recover the funds because I have already withdrawn them. I can provide tracking info and prove that I shipped the guy the item. But their is no real way for me to prove its the correct item if hes claiming it isnt? I am just wondering what i should do. And wondering if even though i sent the guy the correct item and can prove it if i can still face repercussions or would have to pay back the money to paypal if they rule in his favor? There is no way in hell i am paying him the money back unless i can get the real item i shipped him or else im just out a bunch of money. he is claiming the item is something else worth nothing so i told him there is no point in even shipping it back to me and i dont want it. what should i do in this situation? just keep the money and provide paypal with the tracking info? i just dont really see any alternative in this situation other then keeping the money biting the bullet and taking the negative feedback from this prick. i am just wondering if he really goes nuts with it and really pushes it i mean their is no way for me to prove with certainty that what i listed is what he got other then that i shipped it so just wondering if i can face any recourse if they rule in his favor god for bid by some crazy chance, and i dont return the money into the negative paypal balance what can happen or what can he do? this whole thing is a real mess. thanks to who ever can help.

Last edited by kingfish900; 01-15-2010 at 03:44 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-15-2010

Longevity: 85%

you lost me at "ebay buyer trying to rip me off" and than "hi im having a problem with a seller"
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

sorry, i fixed it. the issue is with a buyer trying to rip me off claiming the item he recieved is something else something worth like 1% of what i actually sent him. so just wondering what im supposed to do. because he says he wants to send it back, but i dont want it if hes just going to send me something different then what i actually sent him and rip me off. the money is already out of paypal and they cant recover it. i can provide tracking info to paypal and that i shipped it. i was just wondering if i have any re course or would have to pay the funds back to paypal if they rule in favor or this prick some how. someone please help.
Old 01-15-2010
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 4%
Longevity: 91%

you should always leave yourself a cushion in your paypal to handle refunds and problems with buyers. Customer Service is everything. Since you dont have the money in your paypal account, paypal will take it from the bank account or credit card you have attached if they rule in the buyers favor. Paypal cannot do this until the buyer has shipped the item back and provided tracking information in paypal.

You could also try a partial refund where you let the buyer keep the item and you refund them maybe 30-40% of what they paid.
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

this isnt a matter of being a refund problem. its a matter of a buyer trying to scam me and claiming something isnt the way he said it is. when i know i sent him the correct item, so at the very first sign of him saying this, i withdrew the funds. why would i leave funds in my paypal account when someone is trying to scam me? so i could loose both the money and my item? sorry but no thanks, which is why i withdrew it. i appreciate your answer, but im trying to figure out if i have re course against this guy trying to scam me. also this is not an option for paypal to just take the funds from the bank account, because it is a pre paid account, which they cannot take the funds from. the funds are no longer in that account either. so if by chance they do rule in this guys favor who is trying to scam me. i am wondering if i have re course? because paypal will either choose to pick up the tab or they wont, either way my acount will be negative for a significant amount of money. im wondering what my re course is, if i would have to pay this back? or what paypal can do to me if they side with this scamming prick? and im wondering if they would rule in his favor if i can provide tracking info that i shipped the item? why would i give free money away to someone who is trying to rip me off? and take a loose on my item? again appreciate and trying to help but why on earth would i worry about customer service to someone who is trying to scam me? claiming what i sent them is different. when i infact know its not?

Last edited by kingfish900; 01-15-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

and also i dont want him to ship me the item back, i dont want it back, because hes claiming its something else, this guy is just going to send me back a bogus item and keep my item while disputing me in hopes of getting the money back as well. the money is my only leverage and coverage in this situation. there is no way in hell i was keeping it in paypal or my bank account when i caught wind of this. im wondering what my re course is, if this guy wins by some crazy chance, even if i provide tracking, if i am obligated to pay paypal back if they rule in his favor and they cant recover the funds, which they wont, and what repercussions i have if i have to and i dont. because i refuse to take a huge loss on this item because a buyer is trying to scam me. this has happened before and i took a huge loss. im just wondering what im supposed to do differently in this situation.
Old 01-15-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

ffs, If you've already decided what you are going to do, why are you asking?

Look at it this way: are you fully aware of the consequences of not offering to resolve this? Can you handle a paypal with a negative balance? Are you going to like the neg the buyer will give you?

What's the value of the item? What is MOST giving you grief? That a buyer might be correct? Do you have any idea of customer service?
You have to try to resolve these problems. You have to try to NOT damage your own accounts.
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

first, i do not know what im going to do. i was just trying to state the few things i do know that im going to do. i more so am interested in what the repercussions are of having a negative balance that is what i do not know. i thought maybe someone could answer that or help. i am not fully aware at all, i have looked into it and havent found much. how can i offer to resolve this? what are my options? i dont see any imo. i am telling you that i know for 100% a fact without a doubt in the mind. i send a perfectly good item, in perfect prestine condition. not a thing wrong with it. now the buyer is claiming its something entirely different, and i already know his angle and what hes trying to do. people do this all the time. he will send me back a different item, and keep my item, in hopes of winning the dispute and getting the money back. me keeping the money right now and dealing with the neg balance seems to be my only leverage or option. im just unclear as to what the repercussions are if he wins the dispute? the value of the item is in the thousands range. its a high end item. an item i cannot afford to give a partial refund because some prick is trying to rip me off. and an item i can not afford to just take a loss on. the buyer is in fact with 100% not correct. and is 100% a scammer. have dealt with a few people just like this person and this is what he does for a living. this account may very well be screwed, if thats the case so be it i will start over, but i cannot , cannot take a loss on this item at all. its a very expensive item. im jsut wondering what happens if the account is completely damaged and negative and paypal has to pick up the tab because they cannot recover funds. then what happens? i can handle losing the account and a negative balance, depending on what the repercussions are if i dont pay that balance and he some how wins the dispute. what i cannot do, is take a loss on the item and end up with nothing or a partial loss. my other question was if i provide tracking info that i shipped the item , what are the chances that i can win the dispute? this guy is in fact trying to scam me however their is no doubt about this, so i dont know why you would say that, i know for fact what hes doing. tons of prick buyers do this. the item is no where here, no where in site, it was in the box i sent, and it was in great condition. and somehow poof it turns into a completely different item when the buyer recieves it? lol, yet im supposed to provide this guy with excellent customer service you say? honestly i dont know what the repercussions are. thats why im asking.
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

again, i just dont see any way of resolving this, as he is deliberately trying to keep the real item and get the money back, he wont return me the real item, because hes claiming its something totally different. how do you resolve that? you cant imo. i can handle neg feedback, i can handle damaged account, i can handle neg balance. i can start over, im willing to do that. it sucks, but what im not willing to do is give this prick a single dollar, or take a loss on the item. im just wondering the conequences of them favoring him and he winning the dispute, if i have to pay paypal back, if im legally and financially responsible to pay them back if they favor him? and i can provide tracking that i shipped it. but hes claiming its something else. its going no where with him through messages. i know what hes doing. my only option is imo is to take a neg balance and neg feedback and start over. the repercussions of such are what i need to know.
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

i cant resolve it, or refund him anything, if the item hes going to return to me is going to be totally different then what i really sent him. then i am out alot of money.
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

would you do that greenbean? refund someone their money when they are claiming what you sent them is a worthless item, when you in fact know you sent the correct item? where does customer service come into play here? you tell me. would you refund the money take a huge financial loss just to save an account? i dont understand the logic in that. only to recieve a worthless item in return from the buyer?
Old 01-15-2010

And you say this has happened to you before?..and "people do this all the time", and "the buyer does this for a living" ?, and "paypal HAS to pick up the tab"? and.....bla, bla , bla..... I say where is a smoke, there is fire!
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

do you have any common sense? you asked if i have any idea of customer service. so im asking you if you have any common sense? because doing that, working to resolve something with someone who is trying to rip me off, makes no sense what so ever. would you negoitiate with a terrorist as well then? or would you protect your own interests as well as others and go for the throat if you have a shot? rather then possibly screw yourself and others by metting the terrorists demands when their is a chance he is liable to just off everyone anyway? do you know how the majority of hostage negotiations end with a terrorist over seas? much like they do with a scammer. the person in volved and people on the other end get screwed. the successful ones generally end with that shot i mentioned. i think my best bet is the u.s.s. cole approach. rather then as you say , providing great customer service to someone who is out to get me. while their maybe be some repercussions, ultimately just like the buyer in this situation, you have no idea what the terrorist is capable of in the same respect. so how can you cooperate with them? when they are lieng and claiming something that is false. as i said, pretty common sense not to. i have tried believe me. it has gone no where. i just need to know the repercussions now if he gets lucky and wins the dispute. because he is not getting a dollar.
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

it has happened to me 1 other time. but i know many others who it has happened to before as well. people do this all the time. if their are fellow sellers here im sure you would know that their are many buyers out there who arent respectable and are always looking to get over on someone. if you have never dealt with someone like that, then you probably havent sold much on ebay lyda.
Old 01-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish900 View Post
i cant resolve it, or refund him anything, if the item hes going to return to me is going to be totally different then what i really sent him. then i am out alot of money.
How do you know that for sure?
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

im really amazed at how helpful everyone is. i come here for help, and people act like im the bad person in this some how. like sellers never do this? are you sure you guys are not affiliated with ebay and paypal??? lmao.
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

lets see.. how do i know that for sure. well 1 common sense lyda. i boxed the thing up personally. the item has been professionally graded and inspected by a highly esteemed company. i have certification for the item. like i said i boxed it up personally, shipped it out. and suddenly it gets to the buyer, and he claims its a completely different item. similar to what i sold him, but of much less value. this is how i know. and i know what im going to get shipped back to me. a worthless item. common sense lyda. common sense. im pretty sure i know what i put in that box. and the condition it was in when it left. unless someone from ups knew exactly what it was, hacked into the box, and replaced it with a different item, then sealed it back up perfectly, then their are no other options. you tell me which you think is more likely lol? that my buyer is scamming me. or ups is some how behind it lol.
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

i know its going to be totally different lyda. because he claims the item he recieved is something totally different lol. like hes going to claim the item is different , i mean something totally completely different, and then return my actual item? yea i dont think so. hes claiming an expensive item that i did in fact ship him. is now a different item which is worthless basically. cmon now. lol
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

ive said, i really am not looking to resolve this, because common sense shows you cant resolve something with someone trying to scam you. not that im aware of personally. if anyone has any suggestions id love to hear them and would be open to try them. however, i as i have said am interested if anyone simply knows the consequences of having a negative paypal balance and paypal being unable to recover the funds. what then? what can paypal do to me personally it what i need to know. because its going no where with this guy. what actions can i face if he gets lucky and wins and paypal never gets the money? does paypal have to tell him tough luck? will they personally cover him for the full cost? will they come after me with collection agencies to recover the funds what? i mean how is their anyway that they can really validly claim that the item this guy got isnt what i posted as an auction. this whole situation is bull, i cant resolve this with this guy cause hes trying to rip me off. i came here to learn about ebay and paypal and for help to resolve this problem, and thus far much like ebay and paypal, i am somehow made out to be the bad guy like ebay and paypal so often do to buyers. anyways this is what i really need to know. im sure my frustrated posts, will only draw more similar posts and comments and will get no help on this matter. so be it, thats just how people are in general, but if their is 1 person, 1 kind person out there, who can help me answer this question in regards to having a negative balance. then it would be much appreciated. im sure their is 1 person out there some where. apologize for my pompous posts in response but the previous ones are kind of making me out to be as though im responsible for this and im the bad guy when i am not. thanks

Last edited by kingfish900; 01-15-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2010

Lol, yes we love them both, Ebay and PayPal.....You seem to know answers to world terrorism, so how come you don't know what PayPal will do to you when your account goes in minus?
Old 01-15-2010
Threadstarter  

im sure you do. your responses seem to be very similar to the way ebay and paypal treats their buyers. and yes i know plenty of answers in regards to world terrorism, because that is what i do. i protect people in my country, other countries, and i protect my self. i dont cooperate with terrorists unless its an absolute last resort, and their are lives at stake, which is rarely the case, their are always options, but why would i cooperate with scammers if i dont cooperate with terrorists? so how come since you seem to know the answer to the question, you cant just be kind, show some appreciation, and just answer the question for me ? and i dont know because the 1 time it happened i ended up refunding the money, getting shafted, and recieving a worthless item back from the buyer. i dont know what paypal will do because the previous time i just refunded the money and got screwed. this i refuse to do again.

Last edited by kingfish900; 01-15-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

Sometimes you have to know your risk. Kingfish900, You should get a Real Full time job and stop using ebay. Ebay is not for everyone and especially not for people who don't have any business sense (Customer Service).

I assume that the item you are talking about is Jewelry related. Not everyone have the same views. The saying is "One Man's Trash is another Man Treasure"
It could be that the buyer see the item you sold them as trash where you the seller see it as treasure. Let the buyer return the item and issue him a refund. That is customer Service.

BooMer
Closed Thread