Wow is eBay serious? I can't believe it..Surprise survey test? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-05-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default Wow is eBay serious? I can't believe it..Surprise survey test?

Wow, I can't believe this. I was browsing through eBay checking out my competitors and BAM I get a surprise survey from eBay. It literally popped up and said I have been randomly selected to take a test to win a prize. I know it was from eBay to because the window where the pop-up came from was the eBay page.

It was SO random. The survey asked my age group, how often I visit eBay, would I be visiting again, my sex and another one I forgot. Than after I finished those 5 questions it redirected me to a page where I could claim my prize. I had a choice between a e-cigarette ($79.99 retail, they were all $79.99), colon cleanser, anti-aging set and a couple others.

After I selected the e-cigarette it took me to a freakin' advertisement page like you see everywhere else on the internet. Where you fill out your info and than they try and trick you by asking for your CC. And here I thought eBay had given me a free random gift. What a sucker...have any of you guys seen this?

I'm not mad just confused as to why eBay would need to do something like this.

(Oh actually never mind, I guess I read everything too fast it looks like the e-cigarette is free I just have to pay the shipping...but still that's kind of pointless really...if anyone wants to try out an e-cigarette for the shipping price you can check it out here E-Cigs Electronic Cigarettes - and just for the record I am in no way affiliated or related to that site in any way, just a gesture I might not even be allowed to post that info? This is the link I got from eBay after I clicked the "claim your prize" button.)

-Albert Einstein

Last edited by jamblix; 05-05-2010 at 08:27 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-06-2010
Threadstarter  

Found some more info,
WARNING:eBay survey pop up - followed by malware infecting my pc in Community Help Boards in Community

Apparently, eBays got malware so if you guys get a pop-up asking to take a survey for a prize I'd ignore it. It's usually not even a problem for me, pop-ups that is I know exactly how to close and get by them as fast as possible.

This pop-up came directly from the eBay website though so I thought it was legit. I guess no website is safe.

-Albert Einstein
Old 05-06-2010

Longevity: 81%

Are you sure it is not just your computer infected to trigger the pop up after you have been on the ebay.com website for awhile? Run Malwarebytes free scan to check.
Old 05-06-2010

Sounds like a virus or trojan. Update and run your antivirus now.
Old 05-06-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

It's a trojan. If you don't remove it, it begins showing up more and more often. After a couple days, it will pop up a survey and the 'free' stuff for almost every site you browse. And it will attempt to mimic the css or general theme of each page. It's like a chameleon. But it's all a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ and a scam to bait you for your info. They don't actually need your money for the shipping. They want your numbers and info so they can steal your ID and/or steal your money.

Unplug from the internet until you have it cleaned out. It spreads by sending silent emails to your contacts, tunnels through LAN, and more.

Find it and kill it. Or wipe your HD and reinstall your OS.
Old 05-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts

I have Not seen that particular Survey/Virus. However I have seen countless others, Including a Telephone call from Ebay reguarding a a large purchase I made this winter on Ebay, that really surprised me, Ebay calling me reguarding a purchase.
Old 05-08-2010
MU

Longevity: 91%
Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

start your computer in safe mode and run avast, or use microsoft security essentials. (disconnect from the internet also)
Old 05-08-2010
Threadstarter  

Didn't find a single thing running AVG and a couple other tests. I haven't experienced anymore pop-ups of this kind on eBay or any other site. It's probably hidden way deep into my registry or something, I'm not much of a tech wiz. Anyways, I'll go through more trouble finding it if it happens again thanks everyone.

-Albert Einstein
Old 05-08-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

The particular trojan I am referring to is not even named yet and has not been added to the definitions of any antivirus/antispam detectors. I have most of the applications, so I do know. I got nailed with it. I shut off my modem but left my router on. My router has a custom firmware and writes everything back to a log in my HD. That trojan is nasty.

I tried to manually remove the trojan using my logs as a starting point. No love. I tried using heuristics. No love. I deleted all files (didn't format) then restored a known good backup. No love.

I did the above and did format. No love.

I backed up only my records on that machine. Did not back up applications, dlls, ocx, or any other file. I deleted all partitions on the drive, repartitioned, formatted, installed fresh, reinstalled all apps from the original discs (heh, sortof), then restored my data records (I mean shipping receipts, contact list, innocent files). LOVE!