Conning Buyer - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-13-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Conning Buyer

I am dealing with very shrewed buyer, who I believe, targeted my listing. My listing was for Windows 7 software. I sold it very cheap since I've been waiting to get rid of it since March. I suspected that it was a ⊗⊗⊗⊗, but finally decided to take chance in my stealth account.

I became suspicious of this buyer's intention right after the sale when he pulled my info. Now no one does this unless they plan to return the item. Since I had not even shipped this item, I found this action to be very unsettling.

After he received the item, he told me that it would not activate and that he called Microsoft who told him that this item is pirated. I know that is not true because the only way that this software would not activate is if the key was BLOCKED. When a key is blocked, an activation message pops on your screen and informs you that 'This Key is blocked.' This guy did not say that and told me that he wants to work this out. He wants me to send him a $270 edition when he only paid $135--even lower price than all the other ⊗⊗⊗⊗ on ebay sell for.

My question is "How do I deal with this slick Willy?"
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-14-2010

Longevity: 82%

if it is Professional? Get a key from Microsoft here for it and send it to him

Sorry look on google for this as it's only 64.95
Microsoft Office Discount for US Students -The Ultimate Steal
Old 05-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Default Tbis is a tough one...

This is just my take on it....

Ever since software programs began calling the mother ship, selling software is dangerous.

This buyer is a jerk, to be sure, but I suspect he knew what he was doing all along. He likely looked for a low priced (and more likely ⊗⊗⊗⊗) version of Windows 7 to purchase with the intent of getting the real thing either way.

You said he pulled information, which would be unusual.

He thinks he has you in a corner. He does, to some extent. To appease him, he does not want his money back, he wants you to spend more $$$ to get him what he wants.

I see two problems here...

If he complains, eBay could suspend or terminate your account.

He could complain to Microsoft. If this is ⊗⊗⊗⊗, and not an obvious ⊗⊗⊗⊗ (like a DVD-R with marker on it), Microsoft will give him a free, legitimate copy in exchange for the bad version, and information on how/when/where/from whom he acquired the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ version.

This happened to a seller I know. I had been buying from him for years (I never knew they were ⊗⊗⊗⊗) and he got NARU'd. He was not charged criminally, but he DID receive a cease and decist letter from Microsoft's legal department.

I don't think you need to worry about jail or anything, it just comes down to how much your eBay account is worth to you. Of course, that all depends on how far the buyer is willing to take this.

Maybe someone else can think of a way out of this?
Old 05-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts

Just tell him that you do not have what he wants, and that the only thing that you can do for him is a refund, and ONLY If he is correct about the software, because if he is not you will Report HIM to Ebay. This is of course assuming that the software is Legit like you Stated, if you play your cards correctly this could actually work in your favor.
Old 05-16-2010
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 83%

I have never sold software, but I always, always offer a prompt refund to unhappy buyers. It's not worth whatever they may do if you don't offer a refund. I'd play stupid, apologize profusely, and give a refund. I have also, in the past, worded things in a way to get the buyer to reply with something against the terms of ebay--then forwarded that email to ebay to get THEM in trouble.
I like to pretend I'm a stay at home mom with a toddler or two, just trying to bring in some extra cash, and I'm doing my best..."not sure what happened, but I will give you a refund right away! So sorry!"
Old 05-16-2010
Threadstarter  

Thank you for your replies. I did offer an immediate refund including cost of return shipping. The buyer did not like this because he immediately filed dispute.

So I just advised PayPal that I was not going to contest the refund. PayPal then did what they usually do in these cases--they told the buyer to return it with tracking for refund.

I think that this buyer is about 12years old? He send me an email, but, I can't decipher it!
Old 05-16-2010
MU

Longevity: 91%
Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

I think google or babel fish need to make a "bad english" translator
Old 05-17-2010

Longevity: 82%

Is it possible for you to ask MS to block the key?

It's easy to copy the DVD, keep the key and get a refund via Paypal.

Refund the money and if the first option doesn't work, release the key to a warez site and it will get blocked soon enough. Might work!

But play it the ebay way. Report him for trying to extort extra goods from you. It's an option on the forrm when you report problem buyers.