Nigeria - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-29-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 89%
Default Nigeria

I've changed my country flag to Nigeria just for today to remind everyone that the Nigerian scammers are alive and well. I've had 3 attempts made in the past week, with an email appearing to be from PayPal informing that a payment has been made and to dispatch this high price electronic product immediately by express courier to Nigeria (it's a birthday present for his relative ). Each time different name, and street, but the same town in Nigeria.

*How do these people spoof the email address so well? The old trick is a new domain is registered that looks like the real thing but isn't quite, for example @paypol.com This one was actually service@paypal.com no immitations

*Why is it always Nigeria??? It's a third world country with access to the internet, there's plenty of those, yet the scammers seem to all reside in Nigeria.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadSam For This Useful Post:
soulcal (08-14-2010)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-31-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 82%

Sadly scammers will never go away. While it is true that the majority of these scams come from Nigeria there are people here in the US that run these sort of scams. Just look through Craigslist and I am sure you can find a 2010 Cadillac Escalade for a bargain of only like $10,000 cause the person who owns it is being deployed to Afganastain.
The Following User Says Thank You to cardfelon For This Useful Post:
slapped (06-02-2010)
Old 06-01-2010

Longevity: 80%
Send a message via Yahoo to imhim

craigslist...?
Old 06-01-2010
Executive [VIP]

You've never heard of Craigslist??? They have it in almost every country in the world. You should google it and check it out!
Old 06-01-2010

Everytime I post in CL, I get at least 3-5 messages from scammers lol.. They are all over CL ad's.
Old 06-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfelon View Post
Sadly scammers will never go away. While it is true that the majority of these scams come from Nigeria there are people here in the US that run these sort of scams. Just look through Craigslist and I am sure you can find a 2010 Cadillac Escalade for a bargain of only like $10,000 cause the person who owns it is being deployed to Afganastain.

I tend to agree with you cardfelon...

I think it is because the native people who live in nigeria are very poor, but they have A LOT of Westerners who live and work there, because they are connected to Companies from England and the U.S. involved in the Diamond and Gold industries so therefore they Hear a lot things about Ebay, scams ect, ect

Just a thought
Old 06-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapped View Post
I tend to agree with you cardfelon...

I think it is because the native people who live in nigeria are very poor, but they have A LOT of Westerners who live and work there, because they are connected to Companies from England and the U.S. involved in the Diamond and Gold industries so therefore they Hear a lot things about Ebay, scams ect, ect

Just a thought
I think it's because their government probably has no real prevention on it. They had a story on it on dateline where they tried to track down one of the scammers, but could not really shut them down.
Old 06-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

I saw that same episode of Dateline. In Nigeria they have huge internet cafes where the scammers go and just work in teams to rip people off. Imagine if the people in Nigeria took the computer skills they have and actually applied them to something not illegal then maybe they wouldn't be so poor.
Old 06-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfelon View Post
I saw that same episode of Dateline. In Nigeria they have huge internet cafes where the scammers go and just work in teams to rip people off. Imagine if the people in Nigeria took the computer skills they have and actually applied them to something not illegal then maybe they wouldn't be so poor.
I DO Agree with you here cardfellon......but I am Quite sure that their point of view is that if they had ALL of the Profits from their Diamond/Gold Mines for just the last 20 years instead of Foriegn Companies like De Beers who have made HUGH Profits Mining THEIR land since the 1800's that ALL of Africa would not be so Poor. In other words you ripped us off, Now it is our turn. And the goverment kind turns a blind eye to the whole thing.

It seems to me that that could be the root of the problem, but Who Knows, Just a theory on my part.
The Following User Says Thank You to slapped For This Useful Post:
InvisibleK (09-16-2011)
Old 06-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapped View Post
I DO Agree with you here cardfellon......but I am Quite sure that their point of view is that if they had ALL of the Profits from their Diamond/Gold Mines for just the last 20 years instead of Foriegn Companies like De Beers who have made HUGH Profits Mining THEIR land since the 1800's that ALL of Africa would not be so Poor. In other words you ripped us off, Now it is our turn. And the goverment kind turns a blind eye to the whole thing.

It seems to me that that could be the root of the problem, but Who Knows, Just a theory on my part.
well thats one point of view, but would they have built the technology on their own to mine all this like the Europeans did....all very well just giving technology to the them, like British did for the Arabs, set it all up and left. Arabs became rich, but it wasnt down to their resourcefulness in the first place, before that they were bedouins sitting on top of oil wells, oblivious...
Old 06-02-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
well thats one point of view, but would they have built the technology on their own to mine all this like the Europeans did....all very well just giving technology to the them, like British did for the Arabs, set it all up and left. Arabs became rich, but it wasnt down to their resourcefulness in the first place, before that they were bedouins sitting on top of oil wells, oblivious...
Well, there is a Lot more to it than that, Diamonds and Gold ARE NOT found in concentrations that make mining profitable just Anywhere, De Beers entered in a VERY Lopsided PERMANENT Partnership with the Goverment back in I think 1888 when the Africans had No Idea of what the Value of these items truly was.

Remember that back then the Only Use for these items were for Jewlery, Not Useful to the Africans, Therefore it Had No Value to Them.
So from their point of view it was a Good Deal.---BIG MISTAKE!!!

Oil is VERY different, Oil is also Concentrated in Relativitly Small areas but these "Small" areas are MILLIONS of Square Miles.

Another thing is that Oil was made here on Earth Dead Organic matter Decaying over Millions of years turns into Oil.

Gold, Diamonds and ALL "Heavy" Metals are NOT Made on Earth they come from Space (Created Inside Super Novas to be Specific) and Arrived on earth through Collisions, meteor Impacts, ect, ect Therefore are MUCH Rarer.

I Sound like a Geek Don't I?, But believe me I am NOT
The Following User Says Thank You to slapped For This Useful Post:
InvisibleK (09-16-2011)
Old 06-03-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 89%

It's great to be reminded of all the things you learnt in school, and then never gave a second thought to after you left. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadSam For This Useful Post:
MGTA (10-20-2010), soulcal (08-14-2010)