Can eBay link to my friend? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 10-11-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default Can eBay link to my friend?

I don't sell on eBay as a business. I just sell things I don't use anymore, every now and then.

I was banned from eBay and PP a few years ago over a dispute over iPhones. I was selling iPhones as a business during that time, and out of several customers one of them charged back with their bank (this was a bank account transaction from what I understand, not credit card). PayPal covered that as part of their seller protection after seeing I had proof the item was received. A few days later, I was banned from both companies after 10 years of business with no problems.

So I had a few computer components to sell after upgrading. I contacted my friend in Texas who has done this for me a few times already and had him list it all. I have never logged into his account. I may have viewed the auctions on a linked IP though I can't say for sure (probably didn't). Unfortunately, all 3 listings ended as non-paying bidders. He filed the reports with eBay and had it all refunded and cancelled.

That friend is now stationed in Afghanistan.

I created a new stealth account with totally ⊗⊗⊗⊗ info. I made a PP account and verified that using a bank account that has never seen eBay or PP before. I've made sure my cookies and Flash cookies are clear and changed my IP. The address is in my area (so an IP check would match) but is not mine or any address that has been used with either company.

I listed two items yesterday - one was an item I attempted to sell through his account and the other was a different item he'd never sold. The question I have: the ad I used was similar, but not exact, compared to the one I used through him. Is it possible for them to link to his account? If they did, would they suspend him? He is a different person after all that has always paid his eBay and PP accounts on time and has had no problems with them.

I'm not willing to risk his account and so if there is a chance I'll cancel the auctions and find some other way to sell.

TIA!

G
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-11-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Similar listings could result in linking - I would keep the format/template very separate - close it pronto and reformat wording, etc.

Just to be safe - you never know with eBay and ESPECIALLY dealing with hot electronics.

Similar is never good.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
gordonfreeman (10-11-2010)
Old 10-11-2010
Threadstarter  

Yeah, that's probably the best way to go. :( Really stupid thing of me to do. I just wanted to get it up at around 2PM and I was tired as hell (was awake all night for work).

Question though: if I pay all fees and have no issues (disputes or anything like that), what are the chances they'd do anything? I don't plan to ship until I have the money sitting in my bank account (I'm aware of the trick to avoid the hold but won't post it here - most of you probably already know it anyway).
Old 10-11-2010
Threadstarter  

Another question, who's to say I didn't steal the listing from my friend and change a few things? Theoretically you could steal the listing of a seller you don't like and screw over customers to get his account removed.

Will they suspend or ask questions first?
Old 10-11-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

1. Expect them to always suspend first - forget questions, easier and also more risk-avert for them.

2. If you pay feeds and handle all issues, unlikely they will do much. BUT it's not eBay I would worry about - it's your COMPETITION. One bidder or some do-gooder buyer reports -> investigation -> suspension.
Old 10-11-2010
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 53%
Longevity: 91%

However, I don't expect you to screw with anyone...
mind your own business and beat them by doing a great job for yourself.

Only losers and trash screw with other people.
Old 10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonfreeman View Post
Yeah, that's probably the best way to go. :( Really stupid thing of me to do. I just wanted to get it up at around 2PM and I was tired as hell (was awake all night for work).

Question though: if I pay all fees and have no issues (disputes or anything like that), what are the chances they'd do anything? I don't plan to ship until I have the money sitting in my bank account (I'm aware of the trick to avoid the hold but won't post it here - most of you probably already know it anyway).
I am unaware of the trick, would you be willing to share?
Old 10-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 87%

If you are using the same photos(jpg), or whatever from before, delete them and retake new photos if you are starting fresh all over again.
It was a suggestion to me when I began my new account(s) and I felt more secure by doing so.
Using the exact same photo MAY link in some way...somehow.

Good Luck!

waterproof