eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   How deep does eBay bury a fairly new seller? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/25331-how-deep-does-ebay-bury-fairly-new-seller.html)

kris 11-27-2010 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shogun1 (Post 185327)
i assume you set a good reserve though? what is the price range they typically sell in?

Actually I don't use a reserve price. I figure, if its an auction... it might as well actually BE an auction. My items sell within the $50 - $150 range, and I can count on one hand the number of times (out of hundreds) that I received substantially less than I would have sold it as a BIN for. I figure people love a deal. When they see the $.99 start price, they think they are going to get one. Sometimes they do. Most times they dont.

ibanez13 11-29-2010 04:03 AM

I list just about everything I sell as auctions, usually for 99 cents. Since eBay lets you list stuff without insertion fees, I start a few at various prices, all under $10. It has been working better for me than doing buy it now. How are your auctions doing with the reserve, though? Doesn't reserve auctions usually get avoided by most bidders?

pod 11-29-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibanez13 (Post 185988)
How are your auctions doing with the reserve, though? Doesn't reserve auctions usually get avoided by most bidders?

They all got bids but bids stopped at half of cost. Just people looking for big bargains. This product is just too low volume for normal action. I just tested at 3 day auctions. 7 day May get more action. Auction is great for items that have lots of people that want item. But if its specialized and low volume its not going to work. Not in this case anyway.

I'll give 7 day a try. But all it will likely do is stop the actual BIN customers I may have had.

holymoly 11-29-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pod (Post 185258)
Really? Huh... There has to be a reason he's killing me. And its not product or pricing.... I do all BIN. Auctions give a good bump? He does have half at auction. Are people really so simple they want to play the bidding game and still pay the same anyway? I find that a hard pill to swallow. But I guess if thats what they like I could try. Fees are way higher...

Of course people will go in a bidding war. It's the thrill of the chase and that is how you can make MORE money sometimes...

pod 11-29-2010 12:26 PM

For sure. But it has to be in high enough demand. This is just too low volume to work like that. IE: Highest bid I got on one item was $45. Same item has had best offers of $180+ 4 times last 4 or 5 weeks. And thats low. So if the right person doesn't see auction its wasted. I had an item I sell a few a month for $400 started at $200 and no bids by end.

Only way it would work would be a long auction. But then I'm beating myself out of BIN

And I took a close look at the other seller and 3/4 of his stuff goes for half what I would be willing to sell. At first I just noticed the normal priced ones. He's losing money or breaking even at best. So screw it. They want cheap junk go for it. They want quality come see me. I cant compete. And at the prices he's giving his stuff away at, I don't want to...

shogun1 11-29-2010 09:46 PM

maybe work on your ad a little bit,see what he has on his ad and maybe give the buyer the impression that he is missing something that your not.for example i sold something in a niche market and i said something like "dont chance buying from a seller who doesnt waterproof this product" "many sellers skip this important step"

of course i knew they all waterproofed but if there ad made no mention of it then thats free game to sell to your customer

pod 11-29-2010 09:51 PM

Oddly enough his ads are brutal. A couple fuzzy pics and 4 sentences. I have snazzy graphics and great pics.

Upon further digging, he's just getting the sales because he's low balling. If he want's to sell something worth $180 for $90, all the power to him. He can have the sale.

I'm not giving my stuff away

xfishx 11-30-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pod (Post 186182)
Oddly enough his ads are brutal. A couple fuzzy pics and 4 sentences. I have snazzy graphics and great pics.

Upon further digging, he's just getting the sales because he's low balling. If he want's to sell something worth $180 for $90, all the power to him. He can have the sale.

I'm not giving my stuff away

Why are you leting him take sale's? You should listen to "Gordon Chase" From Dexter He Say's:Take it It's Your's: you should do the same.
What you need is some one to rain down negative feedback on your rival!

pod 11-30-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfishx (Post 186236)
Why are you leting him take sale's?

Like I said, he's giving the stuff away at half price. He can have them. I'm not going after sales that are half what its worth

To make a couple bucks? Screw up some guys business?? Seriously?? No thanks... . Anyone that burns a seller just to make a couple extra sales is actually worse then a scammer

kris 11-30-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfishx (Post 186236)
You should listen to "Gordon Chase" From Dexter He Say's:Take it It's Your's: you should do the same.

I'd also like to point out that Jordan Chase is a serial killer. Just saying.

isitworththestress 11-30-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pod (Post 185369)
I am all for being competitive. For sure.

But I draw the line at hurting another seller. He tried that with me and I would burn him to the ground. So if you mean by not hurting the seller I'm being too nice, then I'm too nice.

I applaud your attitude, I hate the way ebay has become the wild west in a lot of categories.

I wish I could offer some advise but where ebay is concerned at the moment it just seems to be the oddest place to do business.