How much can I safely list as new seller? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-06-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 64%
Default How much can I safely list as new seller?

Hello,

I’m seeking advice based on people’s previous experiences. Long story, but I used to be a very successful Platinum Level Power Seller back in the day and I’m now trying to start over because eBay unfairly screwed me. I lost everything.

About a year ago, I tried using a friend’s account to get back in business. After about 100 feedbacks (no complaints, no customer issues), I started listing a bunch of gold jewelry that I had and without warning, they literally terminated my account (not even limited) and said I was too much of a risk to be allowed to continue selling. I was devastated again.

Because I must like the abuse, I’m back at it again. I now have a 3 year old account; my girlfriend’s opened as a buyer, which I recently started selling on a month ago. Everything is verified, including SSN with PP and we now have just over 20 positive feedbacks out of about 40 sales, all in the last month. Out of financial necessity, I really need to step up my listings but I’m completely terrified of losing this account too. Does anybody know approximately when I can safely start listing heavier volume and dollar amounts? I need to make this work.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-07-2013

Longevity: 81%

Welcome to the club, there's lot to be read.
There's no exact answer for you or we'd all be successful.
It's all about taking it slow, and working your way up...
I always give it 3 months of slow selling, then i rack it up a notch.

What are you current selling limits?
Old 03-07-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Another thread about someone using a friends info.

Not a good move.

You need to go very slow.

Do not sell risky items or in risky categories until a month or so and some good feedback and then I would spread any item like that around several accounts.

Sell yard sale crap to start and you will be fine.
Old 03-07-2013
Threadstarter  

Thanks guys!

I currently don't have any limits. In fact, I just had my 21 PP hold removed today.

When you say "3 months of slow selling, then i rack it up a notch." What is technically slow and how much would you rack it up?

I currently have about 100 listing going at a time totaling about $1000 in fashion jewelry. I really want to start adding the gold jewelry (about another $2,000 worth) that I have but I worry it will get me noticed.
Old 03-07-2013

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
Another thread about someone using a friends info.

Not a good move.

You need to go very slow.

Do not sell risky items or in risky categories until a month or so and some good feedback and then I would spread any item like that around several accounts.

Sell yard sale crap to start and you will be fine.
I'll never understand the need to use other's info. Like ebay knows the difference between a relative, friend, or imaginary name?
Old 03-07-2013

Longevity: 65%

Think your best option is to spread your items over several Stealth accounts, not good having all your eggs in one basket, I am new to the stealth but I feel much better knowing that I have a couple of extra accounts if my main one ever gets into any trouble.
Old 03-07-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by corleone View Post
I'll never understand the need to use other's info. Like ebay knows the difference between a relative, friend, or imaginary name?
I did this because I knew eBay/Paypal was going to ask things that I couldn't provide. They already asked my GF for copy of drivers license, social security card, proof of address (utility bill) and phone number. So now hopefully I can list without worry.
Old 03-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Before you do another thing about increasing your listings, PLEASE do more reading.

You must understand that just because you gave paypal 'real info' that will not prevent their limiting the account in future.

Your worry now is that your friend's info is being used. There is also the matter of taxes.

Now that you are here, learn the better stealth way, truly
Old 03-07-2013

Longevity: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshinaround1 View Post
I did this because I knew eBay/Paypal was going to ask things that I couldn't provide. They already asked my GF for copy of drivers license, social security card, proof of address (utility bill) and phone number. So now hopefully I can list without worry.
They don't ask for that stuff right off the bat. You can go years on accounts without having to give that info(I have some accounts that are several years old). Why ruin your gf's name? Now you'll have her all pissed off at you because she'll never be able to sell on ebay unless she learns how to stealth.
The Following User Says Thank You to corleone For This Useful Post:
Sandy D (04-10-2013)
Old 03-07-2013
Threadstarter  

Hmm, that's an excellent point about the taxes. After eBays done with their damn fees, there's not much left as it is!

I was only selling about 20 items when they asked for all this documentation. How do you get around not showing a drivers license. I assume we can get around the SSN by showing an EIN. Everything else like the utility bill, invoices....
Btw, you know how all this bs got started?! I used to loan an 8 year ex of mine money to buy product for her separate eBay business and she'd repay me by using her PP card towards my eBay bill. I thought nothing was wrong with that and she got 1.5% cash back (old PP cards used to do this when you used it as a credit card). Fast forward a couple years, we break up and after a while, she ruins her business and runs up a $13,000 eBay bill. eBay shuts me down because we're "linked" back when she used to use her PP to pay me money back. It was totally devastating...lost my house, my car, even my dog and just about everything else including the will to live at times. Neither my ex or I had the money to pay them back to get back on. It was not fair what eBay did to me, I sold an average of $40k a month with over 40K feedbacks and had a good life for about 8 years. The only reason, I'm back trying again is because I've tried other venues and it just hasn't worked out. To me, eBay is a necessary EVIL but I despise them!! Wow, sorry for venting, but I guess I needed too....time for a beer! Cheers!
Old 04-10-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

joshinaround1 - I'm sorry that happened to you. EB and PP and caused grief in many lives, including mine! Hopefully, Stealth will change all of this. I'm just getting started. I've had inventory loaded in my bedroom and garage for some time now. I feel like a hoarder.
Old 04-10-2013

Activity: 8%
Longevity: 69%

always best to go slow and then increase slowly
Old 04-10-2013

I am so sorry that happened to you. I think you will find a solution here. I know I did. Best of luck.
Old 04-10-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Rough story but you are at a good position.

1. Learn stealth.
2. Read around forums for people's recommendations on starting heavy sales - nothing set in stone...if you are unsure...well time to experiment. I am a fan of SLOWLY building your ACCOUNTS (not just 1) up.
3. Get operating

Old 04-10-2013
Banned

If you are wanting to make money now and also build for the future then you need to take "baby stealths" in small steps and spread sales over many accounts.

This lets you sell a larger amount and make money now and builds accounts over time.

Baby stealths turn into powerhouse accounts over time.
Old 04-10-2013

Longevity: 65%
Send a message via Skype™ to AuctionsDenied

Been in your shoes, just different story.

Just use the stealth guide and work you way up to the point where you are ahead of the game.

Like Sandy said "baby stealths". And let them grow.
The Following User Says Thank You to AuctionsDenied For This Useful Post:
Sandy D (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by corleone View Post
They don't ask for that stuff right off the bat. You can go years on accounts without having to give that info(I have some accounts that are several years old). Why ruin your gf's name? Now you'll have her all pissed off at you because she'll never be able to sell on ebay unless she learns how to stealth.
100% correct!

People get inpatient and think they will be asked right away.

If they just spend more time reading and learning to understand if you run things correctly, dont get in a hurry you will most likely not get asked for anything for a long time.

In most cases people who are asked for info do something wrong such as list risky high end etc type of items or run a ton of money through pp etc.
Old 04-10-2013

So what is recommended for a slow start? Most of our account are 10/1000? Can you give an example table like below?

Month 1: sell only X amount of product on 1 account.
Month 2: sell only X amount of product on same account.

Would be nice to see from some of the senior folks here a table like this. And yes I know everyone is different on what they sell etc. but please base it on low risk stuff, not Beats head phones or something. I myself sell pre-owned clothes, and not Nike shoes etc. pretty low risk I think. A guideline by definition is only a measured way to suggest a way to operate in, but has fluctuation.
Old 04-11-2013

Longevity: 72%

If listing in high risk categories, perhaps sell an item after 30 days of opening an account, sell a single item, wait for confirmed delivery, sell another one or two, wait for confirmed delivery and so on. Slow and steady wins the eBay race.
Old 04-11-2013

Activity: 8%
Longevity: 69%

start slow
10 items in first month, or about that amount